“Excellent except for...”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Willoughby
Worcester,MA
“Excellent except for...”
Reviewed November 26, 2007

This is a high-quality property. It was comfortable, spacious, and in good condition. I would have given it a 5 except for an unfortunate incident with the housekeeping and front desk staff. I returned around 10pm one evening, having been gone since morning, to find my door ajar. The security latch had been turned to block it from closing all the way. Nothing was disturbed, but I called the front desk and the night clerk was very apologetic and told me she'd report it, but that I should also tell the assistant manager at the desk the next morning. I did so, and her explanation was that the housekeeping manager reported that they found the door ajar so they left it that way, implying that I had originally blocked it. I told her that I definitely had not...that most likely the morning housekeeper left it ajar and then the turndown person found and left it that. The manager didn't seem to find this reasonable--she didn't come right out and say it, but it was clear she thought I left it that way.

Parenthetically, housekeeping left the coffee pot unserviced on that same day.

I felt that the manager's attitude was really unacceptable, especially since I'm a Marriott elite member. Except for this incident, however, it is a nice hotel and would still recommend it.

• Liked — Size, condition, decent (but not great) internet access
  • Disliked — housekeeping, front desk attitude (see my review)
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Cliff0rd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed April 10, 2007

Its not my first stay to the courtyard in Willoughby, at least 5-6 times over the years I stood there. This time it was about a week. The hotel has been well maintained, of course it is not new, but there is absolutly nothing to complain about - from this you see that the owners take close attention to the house. The rooms are spacious, nicely decorated and clean. Unfortunatly there is no microwave and fridge available - when you stay that long, I mostly wish to have such. The hotel is also equipped with a nice indoor pool which I did never use though because of lack of time. But it look very well. The staff is always friendly and if you have any complains, then they pay attention immediatly. The hotel also has a breakfast restaurant, which I went to years ago - I didn't tried it the last times. Overall I can say, that this is a nice hotel in a good location where I will go again for sure.

• Liked — Clean and nice property
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank DoktorCB
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 5, 2006

I was pleasantly surprised to find a room that is quite nicely
furnished as my experience with their sister hotel across the street was not as pleasant. The moment you walk into the lobby, you can tell the hotel had just recently finished some
renovation work and according to the front desk staff, she said it was a
total make over. The place still smell of new carpet.

I was quite happy with my stay here for 3 nights pricing at $149/nite.
The lounge area next to the dining area has a flat panel TV with
newspapers. It is right there by the dining area where breakfasts are served.
This buffet has made to order eggs which is great and the choices are a
lot better than their sister hotel across the street (which is a real
zoo). The spread includes make your own waffles, fresh fruit (apples and bananas), cereal, muffins, breads and bakery items, coffee and tea, hot breakfast items includes biscuits and gravy, bacon, sausage links, eggs, etc

It is worth to pay more for this hotel than the one across the street. I had enclosed some photos of this hotel and my assigned room was 318. As you can see, the rooms are quite ncely furnished, I only wish they will tear out the old bathrooms and put in a new one instead of trying to dress it up as new by putting in nicer shower curtains, a new paint job and wall paper. Still, I am pleased with the overall service and quality

• Liked — best quality in the area
  • Disliked — bigger bathrooms
  • Tips/Secrets — buffet breakfast spread is a good one, dont need to include it in your package as it only cost $10
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank _de_last_one
iowa
Reviewed September 18, 2006

Easy on/off interstate location on the east side of Cleveland. Several hotels, restaurants, gas stations, drug stores, etc in the area. Rooms are VERY new, clean, nicely furnished. I have nothing bad at all to say about this hotel. I wish ALL Courtyards were this wonderful!

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank iowa24
Afton MN
Reviewed June 22, 2006

After a long road trip and with no reservations, I felt very lucky to get the last remaining room at the Courtyard Willoughby. It was a non-smoking room on the first floor and looked as if it had never been used--everything was in great shape, the bed turned down and stacked with plump pillows. Staff was friendly and helpful. Damon's Grille next door is an easy and fun place for a casual dinner. I'll put it on my list for my next cross country drive.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank weezr
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 25, 2005

This was an OK hotel. When we arrived, the staff did not look interested in us or our visit. Although everything went pretty smoothly, the carpets and rooms around us were being redone so it created a foul smell. The room as good, and the location could not be closer to the highway (a good and bad thing). Overall a good stay, but no frills.

NOTE: The new Courtyard style bed is really comfortable, and the hotel is right near restaurants.

• Stayed November 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willoughby
Red Roof Inn Cleveland East - Willoughby
Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland East / Mayfield Village
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Cleveland East - Mentor
Motel 6 Cleveland-Willoughby
Econo Lodge Wickliffe - Cleveland East

Been to Courtyard Cleveland Willoughby? Share your experiences!