“Under Renovation, but that does not excuse dirt and unclear walkways”

Skylight Inn Clevelend
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Willoughby
Gonic, NH
“Under Renovation, but that does not excuse dirt and unclear walkways”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I stayed at this location because I had to meet a co-worker to visit a client in the area. It was not my choice and I will not return here in the future. On the positive side all three employees I met in the front desk area were pleasant, made eye contact and good representatives. There was a sign about a renovation going on. I noticed as I walked to building B that the pool glass walls were piled high with debris, broken refrigerators, paintings and broken furniture. The parking lot was mostly not plowed of snow. Some cars appeared to have spent most of the winter in the same location. It is possible they had long term rentals because pet fees could be paid by the day, week or month per the sign at the front desk. I parked in ruts where I thought the bottom of my car would not be damaged. The hallway to the second floor room saturated with smoke and nicotine odors. Duct tape held the carpet to the stair liner. The first thing in the room was that the light did not work from the wall switch, there was enough light from the window to see a large refrigerator and a wall fixture over the desk that was working. There were no wall plugs near the desk. so I ran my computer connection to the bathroom. The local internet would not stay connected, so I had to use my own air card. The refrigerator, probably 15-17 CF blocked any view to the television. The bathroom was a travesty. The sink, toilet and tub all had hair on them. There was an ice bucket, but due to the amount of dirt in the bucket and on the bag there was no consideration of getting ice. It was not an expensive room, but the condition was a disappointment. When I departed in the morning there was a pond of ice at the exit. There were icicles on the building 4-6 feet in length and appeared dangerous. I slipped on the ice, but caught myself with only coffee spilled on my dress shirt. Maybe after renovations the location will be better. But if they don't bother to clean, shovel and plow the parking lot, what will renovations accomplish. All the adjacent businesses had clear parking lots.

Room Tip: I can't recommend anything about selecting a room at this location.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lakewood, Ohio
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Amazing remodeled rooms with new hardwood flooring,modern paint,furnishings, new bedding and flat screen TV. Manager Connie gave us the new deluxe rooms for a few extra bucks over standard room. She mentioned thar its under new ownership and management. The new owners are putting a ton on money to make this property modern and deluxe. The front desk staff was polite and helpful. The breakfast was adequate. Amazing experience for 51.99 a room.

• Stayed February 2014
Fairfield
Reviewed January 2, 2014

very run down motel with little features. Good for just sleeping the night and leaving first thing in the morning. Staff was friendly and accomodating. Room was clean but sparse and old. Supposed remodeling of hotel in process. Pricey for what you get w/o discounts.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Connie F, General Manager at Skylight Inn Clevelend, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are currently renovating and we are very proud of the improvements we've made. I hope you will visit us again soon.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I will say first that the staff was nice and I never told them of the issues as it was Christmas and I did not want to cause a stir, nor did I have the time. I thought I would review it online and spare them the gory details.

Stayed over on Christmas. Asked for non smoking room but it was pretty clear that a smoker had stayed there recently, and there was an even an ashtray on the desk. I did not know hotels even supplied those anymore. The door even had a "non-smoking: sign. Clearly not recognized by the staff or guests.

The room was filthy. Dust, garbage behind the night stands, (I check those to judge cleanliness),
blood (!) stains on the blankets, and misc. stains on the carpet and furniture.
Bathroom was no better. Moldy corners with grime and a dirty bathtub/shower. Also the shower
did not drain very well. Toilet ran have the night as it needed to be fixed for a slow leak as well.
Washcloth had stains as did the only bath towel they supplied. Yikes.

No continental breakfast or services to speak of in the morning, but maybe I missed it..

One should not blame the staff for hotels like this one, it is ownership and management that are at fault, as they clearly do not care. Even with the discounted rate I would not stay here again.

I do have photos and will try to figure out how to download them to this site.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Connie F, General Manager at Skylight Inn Clevelend, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
I am sorry that you were disappointed in your stay at our hotel. I would have liked the opportunity to correct any issues you had at the time of your stay. First off, the ownership and management do care. We recently (11/13) took over ownership of this property and have made extensive renovations already. Our goal is to provide our guests with a clean, comfortable room during their travels even during our transition.
We do provide a continental breakfast each and every morning. I'm sorry you missed that.
I hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you again in the future and I would like you to contact me personally so that my staff and I can be confident that you, and every guest at my hotel, are provided with the best possible customer service.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willoughby
Red Roof Inn Cleveland East - Willoughby
Motel 6 Cleveland-Willoughby
Courtyard Cleveland Willoughby
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
Econo Lodge Wickliffe - Cleveland East
Holiday Inn Cleveland East - Mentor

Been to Skylight Inn Clevelend? Share your experiences!