“Tired, worn out hotel”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wheelersburg
Canal Winchester
“Tired, worn out hotel”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The rooms are simply dirty and worn out. The location is good. At almost $80.00 for the night (on line discount) it was definitely overpriced. I can stay at a much nicer hotel chain for the the cost.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Palm Beach
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed at the Days Inn Wheelersburg in September. We were in the area for family visit. While not the most modern of places, overall is was very nice. The ladies who took care of the rooms were especially friendly and pleasant. We asked that they not change sheets/towels every day, but provide us with coffee...and they did. The bathroom was a little run down but since we were basically only in the room overnight...it was ok. We have stayed there before and will do so in the future. The owner (we are assuming) was busy every time we saw him, cleaning and working around the property. That's a good sign!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New London, Ohio
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Made reservations via phone about an hour before arriving to hotel at 11:00 at night. Wasn't expecting much, but was tired and wanted a clean bed and shower. The person taking reservations said the hotel was built 13 years ago and as I was driving I saw billboards claiming rooms were recently renovated.

Upon walking in the lobby of the hotel was about knocked over with the strong smell of curry. Front desk couldn't find my reservation so it took 20 minutes to check in. When I walked into the room there was a foul musty smell in the room and the toilet seat was on the bathroom floor. Checked another room out and it smelled even worse than the first room.

Requested my money back. Decided to keep driving and I would be better off sleeping in the front seat of my vehicle if I get tired. Was the best decision I made today.

I travel fairly extensively and this was unquestionably one of the worst hotels I've ever seen.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wheelersburg, Ohio
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We were only staying a couple of nights in town and most of the hotels in the area were booked because of a sporting event that was going on. I decided to give the Days Inn a try.
This is absolutely the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.
I tried to overlook the disgusting carpet, stains on the tile of the shower and bathroom ceiling, and holes in the bedding, but waking up to cockroaches on the bathroom floor is more than I can stand.
When I informed the front desk employee of the situation, her first response was to ask me if I had killed them, so that they could see them and basically acted as though unless I had proof in hand, she didn't care.
I checked out of the hotel a day early, even though I had already prepaid for the night and knew there was no way I was getting a refund. It was worth losing the hundred bucks.
So much for "warm hospitality and clean, comfortable rooms".

Keep on looking!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We travel alot and also my husband stays in hotels alot because of his job. We have stayed at Days Inn before but this is the WORST!! I assume they do not have to meet a certain standard or pass quality inspections to be able to stay with this "Wyndham Chain", if they did, this place would not meet criteria or pass! Major plumbing leaks,mold in showers,poor lighting,musty smell, recliners,drapes are old,wallpaper old,worn & torn, carpets nasty need major cleaning or replmnt. Some things were new..tile flr in bath, sink counter, some furniture.Should install new lights,outlet covers, closet bars,window treamnt. You can tell this is a old bldg inside & out. New mattresses & TV's doesn't make it newly renovated. Much more improvements needed! Outside pool is all this place has going for itself!! "Free Breakfast" a joke! Much to improve on! Just because of small town location is no excuse for this!! Will NOT stay here again!

Room Tip: Stayed in 3 different rooms but looked at 5 different rooms total. Had to check out and switch hotel...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We have stayed at this motel once a year for the last 3 or years. Its a place to lay your head. They have recently updated some of the furnishings and the bedding. I get the feeling that the manager do care about the property. Ive been to other Days Inn over the years and they were in much better shape. I'm guessing that these are like a franchise owned and corporate doesnt put in much money or something. IDK. If they just take care of updating the bathroom area I think it will make the stay much better. Paint was peeling and signs of water damage. Just because you only 1 of 2 motels in town is no reason to let things slide.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Blanchester
Reviewed May 20, 2012

When I was at this hotel my family was there for a funeral. The people that I talked to at the front desk where very helpful in knowing good places to eat. She told us that there was a nice steak place just down the street from them. And where I live that restruant no longer is available. And we loved being able to go there again. We also got to take the time & go swimming. My 8 year old daughter really enjoyed swimming. The pool was clean and clear the area was clean. So to us it made our stay/ trip a much easier time. The hotel room was very clean & smelled nice & clean. The breakfast coffee, & juices where nice also because not all hotel's offer a continetal breakfast. Everything was very clean & tidy. The beds where very clean & comfortable. . It was a pillow top mattress. And since it was in July and very hot out. Our air conditioner in our room worked very well. I would recommend you stay here . If your in Wheelersburg or Portsmouth area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheelersburg
Comfort Inn
Best Western River Cities
Hampton Inn Ashland
Hampton Inn Ashland
#1 of 10 in Ashland

Been to Days Inn Wheelersburg Portsmouth? Share your experiences!