“You Get what you pay for.”

Red Roof Inn Portsmouth - Wheelersburg
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wheelersburg
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We have stayed at this motel once a year for the last 3 or years. Its a place to lay your head. They have recently updated some of the furnishings and the bedding. I get the feeling that the manager do care about the property. Ive been to other Days Inn over the years and they were in much better shape. I'm guessing that these are like a franchise owned and corporate doesnt put in much money or something. IDK. If they just take care of updating the bathroom area I think it will make the stay much better. Paint was peeling and signs of water damage. Just because you only 1 of 2 motels in town is no reason to let things slide.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 20, 2012

When I was at this hotel my family was there for a funeral. The people that I talked to at the front desk where very helpful in knowing good places to eat. She told us that there was a nice steak place just down the street from them. And where I live that restruant no longer is available. And we loved being able to go there again. We also got to take the time & go swimming. My 8 year old daughter really enjoyed swimming. The pool was clean and clear the area was clean. So to us it made our stay/ trip a much easier time. The hotel room was very clean & smelled nice & clean. The breakfast coffee, & juices where nice also because not all hotel's offer a continetal breakfast. Everything was very clean & tidy. The beds where very clean & comfortable. . It was a pillow top mattress. And since it was in July and very hot out. Our air conditioner in our room worked very well. I would recommend you stay here . If your in Wheelersburg or Portsmouth area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2012

This is the worst hotel I have ever been too. I checked in and checked out 15 minutes later. The rooms were very dirty and has mold. The heater/ac doest work. The bathroom was very dirty including the towels. The staff including the manager was very disrespectful to me. When she came in to room after I called to see the problems she started yelling instead of apologizing and the way she was dressed was like a bathroom cleaner. She was very very mad at me because of the issues her hotel had. I recommend you never stay in this hotel and instead try the Comfort Inn which is on the same road. I checked out of Days Inn and stayed in Comfort Inn. Thanks

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Sam5005
Reviewed May 11, 2011

We stopped in Wheelersburg on our way back to IN from a trip to the Outer Banks. It was fairly late and we were tired. We decided to just stop here because we didn't know if there would be any hotels further up the interstate. The signs said Portsmouth was 10 miles away, but we didn't want to risk having to drive another hour or more if Portsmouth didn't have any hotels. I would suggest going on to Portsmouth. The thin-walled hotel is right between two busy streets and there is a train that runs almost constantly right across the street. We didn't notice the train until we'd already checked in though. If it weren't for ear plugs, I probably wouldn't have been able to sleep. The clerk wasn't rude, but definitely wasn't helpful or friendly either. The room wasn't filthy but wasn't super clean either. You could tell that the beds had recently been replaced because they were considerably taller than the rest of the furniture which made watching TV and using the nightstand uncomfortable. They did have a microwave and little fridge was nice. They also had a binder on the desk that said something like Days Inn guest services and the binder was completely empty. We figured that summed it up. The only reason this place got an average rating instead of poor was because the bed and the pillows were actually quite comfortable and it wasn't terribly expensive.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank reggieindiana
LotusConsultantsLLC, Director of Sales at Red Roof Inn Portsmouth - Wheelersburg, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your schedule to write this review. Wheelersburg is a historic town about ten minutes from Portsmouth, Ohio. Both towns are located along the Ohio River and a major railroad, which is why you heard the trains. Most of our guests cannot hear the trains and we deeply apologize for the inconvienence. Our friendly front desk staff, which is available 24 hours a day, would have helped move you to the further end of the hotel. We also deeply regret that the room condition wasn't above satisfactory and appreciate that you have brought this to our attention. We have a process of checking every room to ensure that room quality is identical in every room. Once again, we greatly appreciate you bringing this to our attention. The Days Inn Wheelersburg - Portsmouth has just finished rennovating all the guest rooms and you must have noticed the new bedding. We are pleased to see you enjoyed the new upgrade. We have finished adding the new furniture and 32" LCD televisions in every room. The new pictures on TripAdvisor will show the recent rennovations. Thank you again for your candor, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 28, 2011

After reading prior post on this hotel, I was hesitant in staying. I spoke with the Manager/Owner about my concerns and he assured me that the reviews did not reflect the Days Inn. I was pleased that the reviews were not correct or really really old. This holet was updated with new pillow top mattresses, flat screen TV's and a new heating/air unit. The staff went out of the way to make sure my stay was satisfactory. My stay at Wheelersburg Days Inn was delightful and I definitely would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo

Dear Valued Guest,
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Room quality and customer service are our first priorities for every guest. All of our rooms have been rennovated with new bedding, furniture and 32" LCD TV's. Thank you for choosing Days Inn Wheelersburg - Portsmouth and for you candor. We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed September 17, 2010

I'm a corporate travel agent and travel quite a bit. I was in town for my son's soccer game and needed somewhere to stay at the last minute. I don't normally stay at Days Inn hotels and after staying here, I remembered why.

The location doesn't feel very safe.

The front desk clerk was not very friendly.

The rooms were dirty and smelled. My bed sheets had cigarette burns in them!
The floors were dirty and unvacuumed
The bathroom floor had pubic hair all over it.
The shower head was hanging broken in the shower...

I ALMOST left but had checked in at just before midnight and really didn't feel comfortable leaving the room. I called the front desk to complain and nobody answered.
Later called Days Inn and the most they would do was offer me 50 percent off my NEXT stay there. NO THANK YOU. Not returning.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank suezinohio
LotusConsultantsLLC, Director of Sales at Red Roof Inn Portsmouth - Wheelersburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2011

Dear Guest,

We deeply regret that your stay with us was not above satisfactory, and are gratefully humbled by your candor. With all do respect, the way you deciphered normal hair from pubic hair without any modern scientific persuasions is a priceless endowment, commendable in its own respect; I would like to personally congratulate you for your bold efforts in this matter.

Despite the unnatural talent for distinguishing hair follicles, you have also exhibited an uncanny ability in criticizing every aspect of a standard, midscale, hotel room. Please, if you may be so kind, elaborate on what you expected from a 'Days Inn' located in the middle of nowhere, at midnight, the night before your sons' highly anticipated "soccer game."

Additionaly, we were unable to satisfy your perils with even a 50% discount on your next stay. Apparently, you were anticipating the manager to refund your entire current stay. In some far off utopia, I’m sure your quibbles with lower-midscale hotel standards would have proved more profitable, but unfortunately, the reality is that nothing is free. Had you brought this concern to our attention that night, we would have gladly changed your room for one more desirable to such a distinguished palette as your own.

As for future reference, the Days Inn Wheelersburg-Portsmouth is within ten minutes from downtown Portsmouth, and a close drive to all major youth sports playing fields. Our rates are lower than any local competitor because we have more rooms (economies of scale). Proudly, I would like to announce that we have recently upgraded our rooms; in case you desire a more modern inclination. Pillow-Top mattresses, High Definition LCD televisions, large work desk with ergonomically designed chairs, are just a few of the new amenities we now offer.

Your 50% discount on any next stay is still valid. Hopefully you will accept our kind offer and stay with us again. Once more, from our entire staff, we are very sorry you suffered such an undesirable experience and we hope your next stay with us will prove to be much, much more to your satisfaction.

Reviewed July 19, 2010

Recently my family and I stayed at this hotel. It was our last stop on our way home from a nice vacation. If only I knew how horrible staying one night in this discusting run down hotel could be. As we pulled into the parking lot on our motorcycles I noticed that the exterior of this hotel was a bit rundown and in desparate need of a renovation. I know they say don't judge a book by it's cover but in this case we should've gotten right back on our bikes and drove far far away. As we entered the lobby to checkin I noticed that the continental breakfast area was less than to be desired. The staff at checkin were not very friendly. We got our room keys to 3 separate rooms and headed that way to unload. Upon entering our room I was hit in the face with the awful stinch of cat urine. It smelled so bad it made me gag. The carpet was old and filthy coming up in the corners. The couch had brownish colored stains on it. The bathtub was old and nasty. I walked down to my parents room to see how their room was. Again the carpet was old and filthy, but at least it didn't smell of animal urine. My dad then tells me that the people in the room next to them had two dogs. It then made since why our room smelled so bad. My sister and her
husband stayed in a room on the
other side of the building from us
and it didn't get much better for
them. Their carpet was filthy,
potato chips were all over the floor
in fronton their sink, there were
ants crawling up the wall. Brown
spots to the furniture and their
bathtub buckled under your feet
and felt like you were going to fall
through the floor. The worst part of
the whole stay was the next
morning when we awoke with bites
from bed bugs. I cannot express
how disgusted I am with my stay at
this hotel. I've stayed at other
Days Inns before and this place
definetely doesn't live up to the
Days Inn name. We were charged
75.00 a night which was way over
priced. If they can charge you that
much then they can afford to clean
this place up. Housekeeping? What's that? It apparently doesn't exist at this place. If you want a room that you can rent by the hour then this is the place for you otherwise AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!! Will be reporting this place to the health department.

4  Thank Fireyredhead

Dear Guest,

We deeply apologize that you had such a bad experience at our Wheelersburg location. Also, we are very sorry this response is over a year from your review. Since your stay, last year in July, we have changed the carpet, bedding, furniture, and renovated the bathrooms. We have also added brand new Samsung 32" High Definition LCD TV's in all of the rooms.

The hotel is still pet-friendly and we apologize you were able to smell the pets, however we have designated certain rooms to allow pets and if you do not wish to be near one it is very easy for our front desk to assign a room not near a pet occupied room.

As far as the bugs, every hotel in Ohio is faced with this epidemic and we take every measure to ensure that no room has any presence of bed bugs. All of our housekeepers have been through hours of training in spotting bed bugs. Every few days we have the rooms and the exterior inspected, sprayed, and maintained by a professional pest removal company. Thankfully, we have never had any cases of bed bugs in our hotel. I would assume, since you were riding bikes around, maybe you were bit during the drive. Wheelersburg is nestled in the Appalachians and we have plenty of ‘wilderness’ to enjoy. If you are planning to be outside, I would suggest bug repellent. However, once again, we have never had any bed bugs in our hotel rooms.

If you are travelling in the area, please stay with us again and we will offer you a 25% discount for mentioning this review. Come see all our new amenities!

Been to Red Roof Inn Portsmouth - Wheelersburg? Share your experiences!