“Food good, service improved eventually...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Westlake, Ohio
“Food good, service improved eventually...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband and I went there on a Sunday evening for dinner with another couple. The menu had some good options, and prices seemed reasonable. We placed our orders, and were chatting when the waiter came over to apologize for the wait. At that point, we were understanding, as it was only just starting to seem like an unreasonable wait to us. However, our food didn't come out for another 15 minutes after that (meaning that it was probably a good 30 minute wait for our food). At that point, he informed me that they had accidentally burned my burger, and were making a replacement, and would give me a free dessert as compensation.

I will say that the food was very good, and the service once they burned my burger was very attentive, but up to that point we had not actually had our drinks refreshed, despite the lengthy wait for our food. I didn't really want a dessert, I would have rather had them knock a few dollars off our check, but they agreed to pack it to go, so whatever. We'll give them another shot, but after two months, I really think they should have already worked the kinks out.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Lorain, Ohio
“Owner/management doesn't care”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I met up with three other couples for dinner last night. Realistically, when you are part of a larger party, you know things aren't going to go perfectly smoothly, and you try to overlook the little things, but this experience went above and beyond little things.
1. The biggest factor was the meal timing. Some of us decided what we wanted more quickly, and the waitress took the orders in two stages, which seemed ok until only three out of eight received our meals in a timely fashion. The next grouping of meals was brought out MORE THAN 30 MINUTES LATER!!! We went out to have dinner WITH our friends, not just at the same table. And one person never did get her entree (they bagged it up and tried to make her pay for it when it was clear that she and her husband were leaving). Incidentally, this couple was the FIRST TO PLACE THEIR ORDER!
2. The three meals that arrived first (along with the appetizers that were served) were cooked within a range that was acceptable. Of the four that arrived far later, the steak was underdone, the pasta was mushy from having been overcooked, and the pizza was undercooked to the point that the dough was still raw inside (not just chewy).
3. One of the group spoke with the owner when the five meals were not forthcoming in a timely fashion. He expressed appropriate concern and promised to fix things. Then he disappeared, never to be seen again. The assistant manager and the manager each came over to the table at some point, but while they seemed sincere, they were either unwilling or unable to make things right. The only solution one offered was a free desert - FOR THE NEXT VISIT!!! And as far as I know, this extended only to the couple who had the uncooked pizza and missing entree.
-----------------------------------------------Other small issues-----------------------------------------------------
- Two steaks were ordered. They were supposed to have a garlic butter sauce, but both arrived dry. They were acceptable, if unimpressive.
- A baked potato was ordered with one of the steaks. The waitress was not sure if they had any baked potatoes (this was a common refrain through the night - it gives the impression that the person who orders supplies has never done this before). It turned out that they did have baked potatoes, but with the focus on what to bring if there were none, she failed to ask what toppings were desired on the potato, so it also came out dry.
- No condiments are kept on the table. None. At all. Salt and pepper have to be brought to the table by the server. Who does that?
- One of the appetizers got missed by the waitress. She couldn't read her handwriting and then forgot to ask about it. The couple canceled that part of the order when the first three entrees were delivered.
- One of the drinks was delivered in a filthy glass.

Overall, the food was mediocre at best. The waitress was extremely attentive and caring - she looked almost in tears as the evening deteriorated. I don't know if she failed to clarify that our orders were to be cooked together, or if the cooks accidentally split the orders up, but the timing was too far off to excuse. Then when there was such a range of overcooked and undercooked items, it was just too much. But there is no excuse for the behavior of the owner and managers. When things go that wrong, you make it right. If you can't, the customer should not be asked to pay. While it's true that some of us had a good meal, we did not eat with our friends, which is why we were there in the first place. Their dissatisfaction was everyones dissatisfaction, yet neither the owner nor the managers volunteered to discount our meals or make things right for the entire table.

None of us plans to return to this establishment.

3 Thank Deb F
Bloomdale, Ohio
“Stay Away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

This place burnt my food and would not make it right. I will never go back and have told all my friends to avoid as well. Steer clear.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank Bryan B
Lorain, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst Experience Ever- horrible service and food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

I decided to go to the Taverne of Westlake with a few friends to try out a place that none of us have gone before. The first issue of the night happened when our waitress forgot to bring our appetizer. Then my friends got served dirty drink glasses. When you eat with friends, you would expect to eat with them. Three of us got our food. At that point the waitress said the rest of the food will be out shortly. The rest of the party had to wait another 20-30 minutes to get their food. One of my friends got served undercooked pizza. The other got overcooked pasta. Two people in our party were suppose to get steak with a garlic sauce. The garlic sauce was nowhere to be found. The presentation was horrible. When you order a steak and baked potato, you would expect that the potato would have something on it. The cook basically took the potato and threw it on the plate...that's how it was served--no butter or sour cream. Another person in our party never received food at all. The manager and owner ended up hiding like cowards after they kept sending people to our table to apologize. No discount was ever offered on anything. The rating of terrible is an overstatement!!! My friends had to go eat at a fast food restaurant where they were more happy than they were at this restaurant!

1 Thank purplegas7
Cleveland, Ohio
“Don't waste your time or money.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

Poor service. Uncooked food.
Won't go back. This place is short-lived. Manager denied that they had WiFi even though it showed on our devices. They wouldn't give a pass code. Horrible atmosphere and very understaffed. The staff who was working behind the bar, seemed to be very new and ome importantly, untrained.

2 Thank Tony C