“SB 81 was a big disappointment!”
Review of SB eighty one - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
SB eighty one
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Destined to be The PREMIER Hot Spot on Cleveland’s Westside! Who said supper clubs went out in the 30’s? We’re bringing back the carefree elegance of the 1920’s The flappers - Now they knew how to party in style and so do we!
Cleveland, Ohio
“SB 81 was a big disappointment!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This restaurant -formerly Saucy Bistro is now called SB81 and is under new management/ownership and it appears they have had no previous experience running a fine dining establishment. We were seated in cold-really cold-barren back room which I think they called the garden room but was more like and enclosed porch. Every woman in the room had her coat on. The server was polite but distant. I asked several times that she turn on the big space heater until she finally told me it didn't work.

We had the garlic shrimp appetizer which was dull-12 very small shrimps in a garlic butter sauce. The wine selection was adequete. I had a sirloin steak with blue cheese and some kind of a scallop potato side that had blue cheese in it. The steak was pretty good, the potato side was not cooked enough to eat which was too bad because the flavor of the sauce was nice. My husband had the cod dinner which consisted of 2 small pieces of over-deep fried cod and french fries. He was not impressed.

The worst part was the dirt and dust and the sewage smell. Do the owners not have a cleaning staff? The lobby area, the lower level and the restrooms were all filthy. The celing in the ladies restroom was stained and sagging. The bathroom stalls looked like they hadn't been cleaned in months. The upper bar area and lower level where the bathrooms are smells of raw sewage.

If they don't make drastic improvements my guess is that they will be out of business in a year. This is a shame because it is a good location with a great patio. There are too many other good choices in Westlake to have dinner.

• Visited March 2013

Parma, Ohio, United States
“Excellent!!”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

First off, I was skeptical about going after reading some reviews on the service and food. I must say, I am so glad my husband talked me into it. We went on a Friday around 8 pm, we didn't have reservations so it was going to be a 20 minute wait to be seated in the dining room, in the meantime we sat at the bar for drinks. Service was a bit slow, but I can't count that against them, the place was packed! We ordered calamari while we waited, which was some of the best we've ever had. Garlic, lemon, and sundried tomato in it....I ordered a Ya'Mon Tito, melon liquor, vanilla, and pineapple, it was AMAZING! The second drink was the pineapple Up-Down, it was good, but not as good as the first. After about 30 minutes, the host and hostess actually tracked us down to see if we still wanted a seat in the dining room, which we opted to stay at the bar. The live music was very loud and we could barely hear as it was sitting at the bar. It was Mo Town night, and the band, Kearsten Kop7, was fantastic! A few couples were dancing which was nice. On to the dinner... I ordered the Cornmeal crusted tilapia with lobster risotto and green beans, I don't have a single complaint about it, I would definitely order again. Husband got short ribs with baked cauliflower, also amazing. Overall experience was great, I highly recommend this place. Wish it was a little bit cheaper, but for a night out once in a while and wonderful everything all around, it was fine with me!

• Visited January 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“Good Food, needs a lot of work”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My husband and I had dinner here last night. First off, the food was very good. Spinach salad was delicious and they split it for us without us having to ask (nice touch). The Duck was great. The pork tenderloin was OK, but it was my 3rd choice (see below).

Heather, our server, was a delight. The music on the patio was very fun after dinner.

However, they were not well staffed. Long waits due to lack of sufficient staff. Also, awefull wine list. We are wine enthusiasts and notice a distressing trend. Restaurants are piling up with wines no one has ever heard of so that they can mark them up to ridiculous prices. They count on the consumers ignorance, in the meantime getting ripped off. This is a good example. We didn't recognize one single brand. We were about to give up but then noticed that Veuve Cliquot was listed at only $65. We check with the server to be sure that was the correct price and she confirmed that indeed it was. We ordered a bottle and started to relax and enjoy our evening. But, well into our first glass the server came over, at the instruction of the manager (why he sent her to do his job I don't understand), and she explained that it was, in fact, a mistake and the wine list needed updating. The actual price was $125 (talk about price gouging) but they were WILLING to give it to us at $90, since we were already drinking it. Can you imagine !!!! We told her that was unacceptable and offered to give her back the unfinished bottle. They decided to let it go.

About 15 minutes after we ordered our dinner, the server came over and explained that they were out of my entree (why this took 15 minutes I don't know). So I changed my order to her recommended dinner special. She came back AGAIN and of course they were out of that too. So I ended up with the pork tenderloin. It was fine, not great, but fine. My husbands duck was delicious and we were quick to compliment the chef.

They had a fun Motown bank on the patio that we enjoyed after dinner.

I guess I would say, go for the music, have an appetizer on the patio and order a beer. At least you will know what you are getting into.

• Visited July 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
“SB81 is a Nice Replacement to the Saucy Bistro”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We had a enjoyable,liesurly dinner at the SB81. We feel the SB81 is a very good successor to the Saucy Bistro occupying the same space. We felt the renovation provided a brighter interior. Their excellent signature Bittaker salad is a welcome carryover from the Saucy Bistro. We found our Duck and Pasta entrees to be very good. The service was efficient.

• Visited May 2012
“What happened?”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

This place is now called SB81 and the food is not the same and the wine specials are no longer. 3 of us had dinner and each said our meal was okay. It was not crowded for a Saturday night.

Visited February 2012