“Very disappointing”

White Oaks Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 105 Restaurants in Westlake
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Casual Fine Dining, Six fireplaces, Scenic views hovering above the Cahoon Creek. Ducks, Deer, Squirrels, Chipmunks are fed daily. Don't be surprised to see wild turkeys, albino racoons, or hawks. Menu has a variety of selections including Filet Mignon, Rack of Lamb, Beef Wellinton, Veal Marsala, Atlantic Salmon, Twin Maine Lobster Tails just to name a few. Meals come with a tray of relishes and cottage cheese, fresh tossed house salad, homemade twiced baked potato, stir fry vegetable, and fresh in house baked bread from our exposed ovens ...served with honey chive butter. A former speakeasy during prohibition, the main hallway has remarkable memorabilia with old menus, pictures, adorning the walls for customers to enjoy. An overall grand experience awaits at White Oaks. Celebrating 88 years in business!!
Ohio
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

We have been to the White Oaks many times through the years for various celebrations. It had always been a good experience. However, this visit will be the last, I'm afraid. First of all, there were no parking spots left if you wanted to park yourself - but many spots were free and designated as "valet". It was ridiculous because there were all kinds of empty spots right across from the entrance that did not require valet service. My husband told the valet he wanted to park by himself and the valet complied, but did add the service was "complimentary". Valet is always "complimentary", but who doesn't tip when it is used? Our table was wonderful, looking out on the scenic creek and woods behind the restaurant. The menu items sounded very tantalizing, as always. I elected for the Normandy pork and a companion for the "Sunshine Chicken". A third companion got the Ahi tuna. My Normandy pork medallions were tasteless and dry, some of which I attributed to a lack of sauce and an overabundance of apples, dried cranberries and almonds. I told the server, who said she would bring out more sauce. It did not arrive until at least 10 minutes later, after I was done eating all I wanted to eat. It was delivered by a male server (not our regular), who quickly set it down and I noticed it was all apples, dried cranberries and almonds - no sauce. When I mentioned this to the male server who brought it, he sarcastically said "Sorry", and sped off. This was aggravating enough, but also my companion who ordered the chicken said hers had a funny taste. She did not finish hers. I asked our regular server to get the manager, and he took his time getting to our table. His personal demeanor would have had me guess he was not the manager, and his attitude was equally unpolished. After airing my complaints, he simply said "I'll adjust the bill" and sped away, my unfinished plate in hand. When the waitress returned with the boxed remainder of my meal (which no one plans to eat for obvious reasons), she simply gave us the check. Yes, the manager had taken off part of my dinner, but charged me $4.95 for a "dinner salad" which had come with the meal. I cannot help but think he spitefully added the $4.95, just because I had the audacity to tell him about the food and flippant male server. We paid the bill, but I can assure you we will not be going there again. I learned the manager is part of the family of owners. I shudder to think what the future holds for the White Oaks if the other family co-owners treat customers in such a curt, unprofessional way when they voice a concern about the food. To be fair, I will say that the female server did her job admirably and that is why I gave the restaurant a "poor" instead of a "terrible". Also the third member of our party did enjoy his meal. But we will not be going back. For a restaurant that has such a pricey menu, better food and attitude are expected...and a parking spot right across from the entrance that does not require a valet.

• Visited September 2013

North Olmsted
“Very enjoyable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Had a very enjoyable meal here last night. We had the tenderloin of pork and the salmon and we both enjoyed the meal. Waitress was pleasant and checked on us while we ate. The relish tray is a nice touch, the bread was warm, and the salads were crisp. The atmosphere was primarily for an older crowd however, there were a few children eating. We will keep this restaurant on our short list.

• Visited August 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“Wonderful meal - great view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We showed up on Fri night without a recommended reservation. However, they were able to seat us overlooking the creek where we saw deer grazing and rabbits playing in the creek. It is such a lovely old place and our meal was great. I had the ahi tuna - excellent and done perfectly. My husband had the pork tenderloin which he loved. It is romantic, and with a Groupon, quite affordable. We paid less than a chain restaurant and enjoyed it immensely. We highly recommend White Oaks - for the history, ambience, and the food. I love the old-time relish tray with cottage cheese and carrot sticks!

• Visited August 2013
Easley, South Carolina
“Lovely setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Recommended by a family member. Several dining rooms. Ours was small and quaint and at a rear window with a lovely view. Food was good, but a little on the pricey side. Used a groupon. Would probably not go back without one.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank mickeyd29642
New York, New York, United States
“Classy Old Restaurant Dating To Prohibition Times”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Probably started as a Speakeasy, and one of the oldest restaurants on Cleveland's suburban west side. Nestled along the Cahoon Creek Valley in Westlake, White Oaks is still one of the bet restaurants around. I manage a visit almost every time I'm back in Cleveland for the old time ambiance, great food, fine service and a table overlooking the valley to the east. If you're in Cleveland for a visit, do try to make it out to White Oaks. I trust you will love it as much as I do.

• Visited October 2012