“STAY AWAY!”

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Westlake
Chicago, IL
“STAY AWAY!”
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Should have known it was going to bad the minute we checked in. The guy behind the counter had his pants half down his backside, showing more of his boxers than anyone would care to see. In the room, immediately you could tell the vacuuming was done poorly. There were feathers, ribbons, dirt and peanuts on the carpeting. Thick dust piled on the furniture, alarm clock and TV channel guide. The shower floor was filthy brown. The shower's water would constantly change temperature unexpectedly. Then it was time to try to sleep. Pulling back the covers, we noticed hairs on the sheets, curly hairs, straight hairs. GROSS! So, we figured we would sleep between the comforter and the blanket. Just as gross! The comforter had a large blood stain in it. The pillows, pillow cases and sheets were yellowed with use. Needless to say, we cranked up the heat (it was March), slept in our clothes on top of the bed. Very restless, poor sleep. In the morning, we were hoping to speak with the person at the desk about all these issues, but she seemed to want to hurry us out the door, as if we were interrupting her. With the "quality" of the rooms, we passed on the breakfast. Stale looking donuts, unchilled milk, yogurt that you prayed had been kept cold. Definitely will not be a repeat customer at this location, even though it was at a very convenient location. We figure that they still will not clean the bedding, because the beds were not slept in (only on top of). Health department would have a field day with this establishment! Also, you could hear every noise outside... people talking, car doors, room doors slamming shut, etc

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelJockey2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2008

Wow, everyone else's review...thats crazy. I travel to Cleveland about 3 times a year if I can...to visit some of my favourite tourist attractions. Now I have stayed in different places in Cleveland but since finding Westlake Super 8 Motel a few years ago, thats the only place stay at now.

Great location right off the highway, with shopping, resturants & attractions all in the area. Nothing is better then that. I feel very safe in this neighbourhood, not many people drive on this road as there isn't much on it, not much traffic there. I have always got the kind of rooms I ask for with no problems at all. Clean smelling, fresh linen, and no bugs. The pool is small but it's good if you just need a relaxing dip, it seemed to be clean everytime I was visiting. The staff who work at the motel are so helpful in helping you find your way they have even drawn me some maps. I would recommened this place to anyone!!

• Liked — The location!!
  • Disliked — The view of the back of resturants from the windows
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
toronto
Reviewed May 30, 2008

A relative passed away on the weekend and decided to stay there for a night. I should have known better when we went to the room as it smelled like tobacco. My husband and I checked in and should have known when we open the door, we can smell cigarette smoke. We thought that the room just needed air circulation. We left and we came back around midnight with the children. We were tired and had hard time sleeping because of the smell. We checked out early and told the front desk about it and said that even if I complained the night before, she wouldn't be able to move us to another room as they were fully booked. I explained to her that the room is nonsmoking but she said that the room beside us is smoking. I checked the room beside us but it was a nonsmoking room. I don't know where the smell was coming from as the whole room and even the bathroom smell like cigarette. I found out the next day from relatives that we paid more money than the Marriott/Hampton which is only few minutes away from this establishment. My daughter suffered serious asthma after this and had to bring her to emergency after this.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Sierra Madre, California
Reviewed April 27, 2008

I was staying at this Super 8 the same time one of the other reviewers and had a totally different experience. I came without reservation got a room on the outside which was clean and fresh smelling.

The front desk staff was very helpful and pointed out a nice restaurant, the Club House Grill, within walking distance which was great.

The breakfast room is next to the office and had the usual subjects one would expect.

Overall I was very happy with my stay and would recommend this property.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank bob91024
Baltimore
Reviewed August 6, 2007

My stay at the Super 8 Motel, Westlake, was nothing short of horrible. My family and I stayed one night in August, 2007. I am writing this review during my stay because I can't sleep! I felt that something was wrong immediately when the front desk clerk forced my mom to pay for 2 nights at check-in.

We rejected the first room the front desk assigned us because it had an intolerable odor. The next room, 148, seemed much improved as it was air conditioned. Later that night, Room 148 exhibited a deep musty odor also. The bathroom was also not clean; it had a bad smell that was uniquely its own. The mirrors were also not very clean. Spiders also lined the wall and ceiling of the building outside of our room that night. There was a large spider web on the outside of our door, 3 spiders hanging from each window we walked by on the way to our room, and several spiders hanging from the ceiling and wall. It was a very gruesome experience, and we were afraid to leave our room.

In retrospect, I believe that those at the front desk were aware of the gruesome nature of the room they assigned us. While most guests were assigned rooms on the inside of the complex, we were segregated and assigned rooms on the outside of the complex. I did not notice spiders in the inside of the complex. Also, when I alerted the front desk about the spiders, the representative said that she would tell housekeeping in the morning. This is unacceptable along with the condition of our room; unclean rooms spread disease, and rampantly in a hotel.

• Liked — Free internest service
  • Disliked — The spiders and stinky rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Allen Park, MI
Reviewed September 13, 2006

We needed a room for a trip to the Cleveland Clinic-there was a convention in town so all the hotels were booked so we ended staying out in Westlake. The gal at the desk was very helpful, somehow they had us booked for five rooms when we only needed one, and she cancelled the other rooms thank goodness. We paid $51.00 for the night here but the room was old and shabby and the beds awful. The room was non-smoking but I knew it had been smoked in as my allergies immediately began to flare up. On our next trip to the Cleveland Clinic we will stay elsewhere. This place did the job for the little amount of time we were there but I felt dirty being there.

• Liked — It was cheap.
  • Disliked — it was dirty and beds not comfortable.
  • Tips/Secrets — go elsewhere.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed June 21, 2004

We've stayed in this motel on two seperate occasions. The rooms have been clean and in good condition. The hotel is in a nice, safe part of the Cleveland area with restaurants, grocery stores and gas stations nearby. Right off of the freeway and easy to find. My only complaints are that on one stay, we were put into a room that was being remodeled and not quite complete and on another stay our non-smoking room had a bathroom that smelled like an ashtray.

1 Thank FlagAZ-traveller