“Last visit to Wendell's”
Review of Wendell's Pub

Wendell's Pub
Ranked #69 of 156 Restaurants in Westerville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I would've rated Wendell's a 5 a year or 2 ago, but the last few times my friends and I have been there it's been a disaster. I would rate it a 0 if I could. The service is terrible. It takes forever to get a waitress to greet you at the table and your drinks sit empty before they are refilled. The menu has changed slightly, but the food still tastes the same. Overall the service is slow and staff is rude. We had 4 people at our table, and each person's food came at a different time. By the time I was done eating, 2 of my friends still had'nt received their food! I didn't understand why it's gone drastically downhill. I guess they have new ownership but I haven't noticed any changes since my last visit. My friends and I won't be going back to Wendell's again. There's plenty of other fantastic and friendly restaurants in the area that will get my money.

2  Thank SoccerMom2222

Reviewed January 18, 2012

Wendells used to be a favorite lunch spot for my coworkers and I. We had noticed drop in food quality and service over our last several visits, and had also had a very bad experience with one of the lunch waitresses, LORI. On my most recent visit, I had ordered a sandwich that used to be on the menu ( a hot turkey with provolone) and asked specifically that it be hot because I am pregnant and can't eat cold lunch meat. I picked up from LORI and took it back to my office to eat. SURPRISE---NOT HOT, NO CHEESE, AND IT HAD HAM! I called back to ask and LORI told me she checked my sandwich personally and that it was a special order, but she said they would make it again. I told her I ate the chips (again, I am pregnant) and she said they would give me more chips. So I went back again (had to leave work, again) to get my food. She said she checked it and was offended when I checked. NO CHIPS, so LORI stomped back to the kitchen to get me chips. I got back to the office and she gave my fries instead. I called back to talk to management and that is when I discovered the real issue with Wendells. JACK SHANNON! I explained the situation and he was not apologetic. He accused me of ordering fries the next time and refused to apologize for it. He said that he would only apologize for the sandwich the first time but not for the chips/fries issue and got angry when I mentioned it. He said that there was nothing he could do and that he could not help me. He said quite angrily that next time I came in I could have a free sandwich, I just had to ask him. All I want is a sincere apology. Just an "oops, we screwed up and we are very sorry." I will never ever eat there again. Niether will my coworkers and friends in Westerville. I hope that no one that reads this review eats there either. With all the delicious restaraunt choices on Polaris, I will not struggle to find a better lunch spot. And if JACK SHANNON reads this, was the $6 dollar sandwich worth it???

4  Thank Emily R
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We (3 of us) went to Wendells today 12/26/11 for lunch, each of us ordered fish and chips. This is their staple and it was good as always.
I also ordered Oriental salad "to go" to take with me in a box. Our check came with 20% tips included authomatically. Service was good, waiter nice, but nothing outstanding. I seen at other places tips authomatically included for a large group of people and even then it was 18%. There were just 3 of us and it was lunch. I would tip 15% no problem. Is not it to customers discretion any longer? Anyway I did not say anything, paid as it was, but just took a note for myself for the next time to ask not to include a tip in a check, and left thinking it is not a big deal.
When I came home though I realized we also been overcharged for salad. It is $6.99 on a menu, we got charged $8.99 . Also for the salad which was "to go item" and came in a box tax was included and tip calculated on a whole total. Not sure if this is right either, just want to say - you have to really carefully read your bill in Wendells restaurant, Westerville, Ohio.

1  Thank Olenchik
Reviewed December 7, 2011

I love the atmosphere and they have a nice outdoor patio for dining during warmer seasons. I was however disappointed they allowed cigarette smoking on the patio. It forces non-smokers to eat indoors or endure the stink while eating. I ordered a chicken pasta dish which was a bit salty and the chef used way too much garlic. On other previous visits I tried the glazed pork chops which were presented beautifully. They were tasty but a bit overcooked & dry. Be specific on how you want your meat cooked. I also tried the BLT which was delicious and made with high quality bacon. The sides, desserts & salads are also good.

Reviewed November 21, 2011

We go to this restaurant at least three times per week. Their staff is absolutely fabulous. Food is wonderful. Since the new owners took over in January, there is always a full house. Unfortunately on weekends there is a wait. We are amazed at how much this restaurant has grown since January. Love the clientele. Still our favorite place to eat.