“Disappointed”

Old Bag of Nails Pub
Ranked #7 of 155 Restaurants in Westerville
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Columbus, OH
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Normally I've always had a good experience at any of the Old Bags I've frequented. Today was the first time I was disappointed. I usually order the Spinach Salad that comes with grilled scallops or shrimp and hot bacon dressing. The scallops were not warm and neither was the dressing. My boss ordered the Philly cheese steak sandwich which didn't have that much meat or cheese on it. Maybe we just got them on a bad day or the cook was sick. It took us like 40 minutes to get our food and they were not busy. I'll keep coming back because I do think today was a fluke. I'm being nice giving it an average rating today. They are better than this! The air conditioning was blaring; I was like a popsicle by the time I got out of there.

• Visited July 2012

St. Petersburg, Florida
“OK place in Westerville”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

We decided to lunch here on our way through town. I thought that because it was a chain and because I have liked the other locations this would be good as well. The service was not very good (we had to look for someone to refill our beverages). Because we were having a late lunch there were only two other tables filled and there was plenty of staff around chatting who could have provided good service. The food was at least better. The beer battered pickles was delicious but the batter kept falling away from the pickles. We decided on the soup and salad and the soups were hot and very good. The salads were very good and fresh. The place is a type of pub atmosphere, but it felt tired and old. Maybe it needs a sprucing up. I guess good service and atmosphere can really make a good meal.

• Visited May 2012
Buford
“Great Service and Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

Restaurant / pub has a unique set-up with various stories/floors. They accommodated our table of 12 on one floor, so we felt like we had our own space, but were still part of the restaurant. Food was great, especially for bar food, the shrimp was good the crab cakes AWESOME. As a former waitress, I felt the serve was fantastic, dealing with a large table and getting our drink and food orders with no real problems. Bacon was put on my sister-in-law's potato skins, but they corrected the error and comped her food!

• Visited February 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Nice pub.....but AWFUL service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

First trip here as everyone says to go here. Why I don't understand. Our service was the absolute worst I have had in a LONG TIME eating out. We sat at the table way too long waiting to order. Restaurant was not busy, yet food took a long time to come.

Server didn't do a good job checking on us, didn't keep the drinks filled, too long to get additional adult beverages, and it took forever to get the check. Others around us were also trying to get servers attention. Table next to us sat for a long time before there even ordered.

Food was just average. Price was fine...but the food was just average. Popcorn.....stale and old. Yuck.

Nice place and likely fun at night - but for lunch they have seen the last they will ever see from me, which is disappointing.

P.S. Ordered salad, french onion soup, and a sandwich....so we didn't test the depth of the menu at all.

• Visited December 2011
Galion, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always worth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

We love to visit this restaurant for the All You Can Eat Fish & Chips or Shrimp. It is located in the quaint downtown area of Westerville, where you can browse the unique shops before or after you eat. The food is delicious and this restaurant serves the largest pieces of fish I've ever seen. The shrimp are very nice jumbo size too. You have the option of broiled or baked if fried foods are not of your liking. I have not tried other menu items but the fried pickles are also a treat.

• Visited June 2011