“Pretty crystals, accessible path, and cool gift shop”
Review of Ohio Caverns

Ohio Caverns
More attraction details
Owner description: Ohio's largest and most beautiful cavern. Tours take guests through two different parts of the cavern. The Historic Tour begins at the site of discovery and includes the part that was originally explored from 1897 to 1925. The Natural Wonder Tour takes guests on a 1 mile walk through parts discovered after 1925. It includes the largest stalactite in Ohio, The Crystal King, along with many other marvelous formations and colors. The Winter Tour is the only tour offered from October 1st through April 30th. It is a hybrid tour, showing guests highlights from both the Natural Wonder and Historic tours.
Cincinnati, Ohio
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Pretty crystals, accessible path, and cool gift shop”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My parents and I visited these caverns in the off-season, that is, late November of 2013. Because of that, it was just the three of us plus the tour guide. During the season, groups can go up to about twenty people, so I’d highly recommend visiting in the off-season if possible. Luckily, though, due to how different entrances are set up, you shouldn’t run into other groups doing other tours.

With just the three of us, it was easy to take pictures of everything (flash is fine), and we could ask the tour guide as many questions as we wanted. She was friendly, funny, and informative. She knew her stuff, and she never minded when we asked her questions that sounded a bit stupid.

They’re open basically all year and start tours every thirty minutes. I think their last tour for the day starts at six. Since it was the off-season, we could only do the Natural Wonder Tour (only $15/person). That’s fine, because the part of the cave we did see was real darn pretty. The walls have interesting coloration to them, and this is one of the most active caves out there, so expect to find lots of pretty white crystals. And if you have an overactive imagination like my mom and I, expect to find lots of fun shapes in the crystals. Among the many pretty sights, this cave has one of the biggest white crystals you’ll ever see in Ohio.

The unsafe pits are fenced off by chains, which don’t distract from the view. Also, for safety reasons, you’re not allowed to shoot video. They used to allow that, but our tour guide told us they had too many people bumping into things or each other rather than watching where they’re going. Obviously, you’re not allowed to touch anything. In fact, if you try stealing a crystal, the police might get involved because that’s protected land! You’re also not allowed to go down without a tour guide or two because they want to protect to land.

It was nice to browse the somewhat-narrow path through the pretty cave. Pictures can’t do it justice: you have to see it in person. The tour didn’t feel too long or too short, and it definitely wasn’t too strenuous. We had to duck a little, but that didn’t hurt even my dad’s fragile back. The tour guide did a good job of warning us when slightly tricky sections were coming. Kids should do fine if they’re well-behaved enough to keep their hands to themselves.

I should also point out that one of the tours during their busy season is partially wheelchair accessible, which many people don’t know about. There are picnic tables outside for family reunions, weddings, school outings, and more. It’s peaceful and quiet in the sprawling fields outside.

The restrooms are fine, and the gift shop is surprisingly cool. It has a huge selection of pamphlets from other caves. In the store, you can buy pencils, pens, shot glasses, lots of different t-shirts (some cartoony, some rustic), science projects for kids, thimbles, wall decors, stone figures, and much more. My parents and I found plenty of things for ourselves and a few gifts for others. The service was friendly, too.

If you like pretty caves and cool gift shops, then check out Ohio Caverns!

Visited November 2013
3 Thank AmuRima

• Hungarian first
Dublin, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Caverns in Ohio”
Reviewed November 29, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Within the nearby to the house we have a good caverns people want to see how the caverns look like this is the nice place to visit.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank pbsenthil
Spring hill
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“More than we expected”
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé took me to the cavern here in her home town and the visit was more than I expected. This was my first experience in a cave and it literally brought my science books to life. The historical background and visual quality was breathtaking. Our guide was extremely knowledge and patient.

1 Thank Anthony1030
Urbana, Ohio, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Date Night!”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I've always loved the caverns, but if you haven't visited in a while, do it! I love the new entrance they have for the caverns and some of the new scenery that has been added. The guides are knowledgeable and friendly, as was the gift shop staff. The gem/fossil bags are also great for a souvenir, as you get to go out and discover for yourself what you have in your bag. I highly recommend stopping in having some fun. As always, Ohio Caverns continues to amaze me :)
(PS, bring a sweatshirt if you get chilly easily)

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Samuel M
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Make time to go”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We only visited here because the museum we had hoped to visit was closed due to the US govt. shutdown. Whilst disappointed about the other museum we were so glad to have seen these caverns. We toured both caverns taking the history tour first (a good way round to do it). The guides are very informative and friendly and the caverns are both beautiful and interesting. This is a very well run attraction with excellent facilities and staff.

Visited October 2013