“Very clean and friendly”

Ameristay Hotel Inn & Suites Waverly
Ameristay Hotel Inn & Suites Waverly
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Waverly
“Very clean and friendly”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We had a last minute trip to Waverly, OH due to a death in the family. As this is the only hotel I was a bit nervous because of the reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. The front desk clerk and a housekeeper were very polite and friendly. Our room was immaculate...don't confuse that with luxury. The interior of the hotel and our room was very dated (tube tv, old style comforter) but nothing was "worn" or thread-bare and it was so very clean. No stains, no stray hairs, carpets freshly vacuumed. We paid around $80 /night. I would have no problem staying there again. There is nothing to do in Waverly and the area seems economically depressed so why would anyone expect a nicer hotel? The Ameristay is what you have and for the area it is fine.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Allison H

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Read the reviews posted earlier and tried to avoid this hotel based on them BUT nothing was available in Chillicothe and it was midnight so ...
I called from the road and requested AAA rate. Including tax under 100 is good for Ohio. Lillian, the night clerk was friendly and helpful. Room was fine - not brand new but clean enough and no bugs. Continental breakfast was fine - instant oatmeal and carbs and coffee. I did see alot of men eating breakfast and seemed to be there on business. Not sure how I would feel alone, but fine with a companion.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Rhroncich
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I just stayed her with my two teenage daughters. Each time we came into the motel, there were several construction worker typoes hanging around the doors smoking and drinking. they made rude remarks to my daughters. When I complained to the front desk clerk, he said he couldn't leave the desk to address the problem. After midning, the same guys were sitting in the hallway down from our room, laughing, smoking (in a no smoking part of the motel) and drinking beer. When I called the front desk, the clerk asked me where I thought the guys coudl blow off some steam after working in the sun all day.

Our rooms had worn and dirty carpet and disgusting covers on the beds.

I will never stay here again.

It appears this motel used to be part of a national chain, but changed to an simialr name to avoid paying the advertising costs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank L R

Travelers are raving about these Waverly hotels

Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We always come back to the Ameristay in Waverly. The rooms are dependably clean, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the indoor pool and hot tub are a relief after a long day. The complimentary breakfast is consistently good, the coffee is great, and the fruit and breads are always fresh. There's coffee all day and night, which is great on those cold nights. Be sure to ask for a room away from the elevator, they do make some noise in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tchrmomma
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We were traveling through and decided to stop for the night. This was the closest hotel listed on the GPS so we went with it. When My husband went in to get us checked in the hotel employee didn't even mention how much the room was. She probably thought we didn't care at 3 am, and she was right BUT had I known it was going to be 150.00 we would have thought twice. The room was clean enough, but the chair in the room had all sorts of stains. Both of the beds were hard and you could feel the springs. The sheets were also very scratchy. My kids who are 7 and 3 complained, thats how bad they were. The heating/cooling unit was loud which I usually expect to an extent, but not at 150.00 a night. There was no hot breakfast which was also disappointing. We live in a small city with only 2 hotels in our immediate area, so I understand that not all hotels are 5 star hotels. But at least at our Super 8 the rooms are updated, clean, and you get a basic breakfast for 60.00 per night. They need to update or lower their prices. We travel this way regularly and WILL NOT STAY HERE AGAIN.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CrawfordMomof2
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The only reason I am giving the motel one star is that there is no provision for giving half a star. The parking lot is dirty, and there were cigarette butts and fast food bags and drink cups all around the side entrance doors. The water pressure in the shower was so low, the shower head dripped rather than spray. The beds are incredibly cheap and uncomfortable. The sheets are too small and will not stay tucked in. The bedspreads smelled of urine and/or body odor, and were so gross, we took them off and put them on the floor in the corner. The blankets were dirty and had cigarette burn holes in them, despite the fact we were in a non-smoking room. The bath towels are almost paper thin, and it took two of them to get dry.

The first day, we did not get housekeeping service, so we had to go to the front desk to get towels that night. The desk clerk was surly and unapologetic about the lack of housekeeping. As we returned to our room the next night, we smelled strong odor of cigarette smoke in the hallway. When I called the front desk, I learned we were directly across the hall from the ten rooms that are designated smoking. It is unbelievable the motel chooses to allow smoking in ten rooms on one side of the third floor instead of making one end of the hallway smoking. The end result is that the entire third floor reeks of cigarette smoke. The stench from the smoke was unbearable. When we called the front desk and asked to move to another room, we were told there were no rooms available. At 6:45 A.M., I counted a total of six cars in the parking lot, so it seems very unlikely the motel did not have another room.

When I checked out, I brought my complaints to the attention of Ralph Begley, who identified himself as the general manager. He never apologized for the problems or said the motel would try to improve. His only comment about the lack of water pressure was "It comes and goes, and it's usually worse in the morning." In other words, the motel management is fully aware of the water pressure problem, yet doesn't fix it. His explanation for putting us directly across the hall from a smoking room was that the people in room 310 "may have asked for a specific room."

Although Waverly is a very safe town, there are security concerns about this motel. The side doors are not locked, allowing anyone to walk into the motel without having a room key or having to go by the front desk. There are no security cameras inside or outside the motel, and the exterior lighting is poor. The microwave was plugged into the outlet on the desk lamp, which is a violation of fire codes.

According to recent news, Pike County is the most economically depressed county in Ohio, so I did not expect a resort like atmosphere. It is my understanding from talking with the staff at the Dakotas restaurant next door that the same family owns both the restaurant, the motel in Waverly and two more motels in nearby towns. The restaurant staff told me the Waverly motel is used primarily by construction workers staying in the area temporarily, and caters to hunters in deer season. The Ameri Stay is the only motel in Waverly, and I guess it is better than sleeping in outdoors or in your truck, but it is still amazing the Ameri Stay can continue to operate with such run down conditions and poor service. In the future, I will pay a little more and drive a little further to stay at the Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express in Chillicothe. I highly recommend others do the same.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and rive a little futher and stay at the Hampton inn or Holiday Inn express in Chi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Jim R
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Where to start...

With the worst. The beds are the $200-$250 range mattress, so if you enjoy a back full of coil this place will be right up your alley.

There is an old fashioned cathode ray tube tv in the room. It isn't very clean. Contractors run up and down the halls like children. There is no hot breakfast, only microwave sausage biscuits and pancakes in a Tupperware bowl of questionable age in the fridge. The wifi goes in and out.

The only good things about this hotel is the close proximity to a restaurant next door and Walmart down the road.

I slept better at the hotel in Piketon, even with the train waking me up every couple hours the first couple of nights. It isn't polite to name names, but check it out instead, it is the only one there.

Room Tip: Go to another town either north or south of this one to stay.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ibosley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waverly
Comfort Inn
Quality Inn Chillicothe
Quality Inn Chillicothe
#6 of 8 in Chillicothe
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chillicothe

Been to Ameristay Hotel Inn & Suites Waverly? Share your experiences!