“a memorable experience because it was so bad”

Cleveland Marriott East
London
“a memorable experience because it was so bad”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed 4 nights; check-in and out was good; I ate dinner with a colleague in the bar on two nights and in the restaurant one night. On the first night I ordered a hot starter of 4 shrimp followed by salmon; my main course arrived approx. two minutes after the starter arrived. I sent the main course away; the salmon returned warm 20 minutes later – the broccoli was overcooked a small portion of 4-cheese potato. Second night I order a Caesar salad and a steak; approx. two minutes after my Caesar arrived, my steak arrived. Having learned that my main course will deteriorate I accepted the steak – the waitress goes to take away my Caesar salad (75% remaining) that I was eating when she arrived at the table; as I was hungry I ate the Caesar salad after my main course. At dinner in the restaurant the problem was the reverse, (just 3 shrimp this time) this time we waited more than an hour after the starter course was cleared before the main course arrived; in a nearly empty restaurant. The waitress was apologetic and offered us wine etc. to placate us but what we wanted was food.

The bed; as I’m about to get into bed on the first night I pull back the cover and it looks like someone has slept in the bed already; I call down to reception, they offer to change rooms but that wasn’t convenient, not least because I was in my pyjamas and no bath robe had been provided. Ten minutes later a member of staff arrives with a freshly ironed sheet and we remove the existing sheet. I’m still shocked by what I saw and the Marriott is exceptionally fortunate that your member of staff was brilliantly quick thinking. The under sheeting (multi layer) was very heavily stained in several places with urine – DISGUSTING. I’d taken photos of the sheet but the member of staff was so fast removing the under-sheeting that I was too slow to take a photo. The mattress underneath was clean. We remade the bed and the staff member commented as he left the room that the under sheeting he took away would be destroyed. Top marks to the member of staff; no marks to housekeeping; I’m still shocked by what I saw.

Various observations; I was pleased with the size of the bath, big by USA standards, though small by European expectations; no close up mirror in the bathroom; good furniture generally; delighted to see fresh fruit at breakfast though the loose muesli (healthy cereal) appeared very high in sugar content – rather defeating the object of offering a healthy cereal.

I was woken and kept awake much of the night by reversing snowploughs - clearly the insulation / double-glazing is poor and insufficient. Room 301 - areas of the carpet hadn't been cleaned for weeks or months – not so much dirty but dusty. Management clearly have an interest in what is happening within the hotel and the problems other than the insulation / double-glazing are easy and quick to fix – my rating of the hotel as it was when I stayed 2 out of 10.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank SeriousTraveller01
Kenny D, General Manager at Cleveland Marriott East, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Serious Traveller01,

Thank you for the feedback. I apologize about the inconveniences you experienced on property. I have addressed the appropriate hotel staff involved with the shortcomings that you had. I am pleased that we reacted appropriately when issues where reported and that our Assistant General Manager offered compensation. I do hope you give us another chance to earn your business if your travels should bring you to Cleveland.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Thai first
mass
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a few times for work. Its nice that its near a shopping plaza. The rooms are comfortable but dated. There are plenty of machines at the gym. The food at the bar is ok. This is my second stay at a Marriott this week and I have to say that I am really aggravated with the products they carry now. I don't know what brand it is - it is new and the soap, shampoo and everything is so bad you need to bring your own products. The hairdryer might work well if you have the hair of a 2 year old or a 90 year old man. Maybe this is not important to some but I find it annoying. If I wanted cheap products and no comforts of home I would stay at a cheap hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Kenny D, General Manager at Cleveland Marriott East, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Gscearbo,

Thank you for the feedback. I apologize about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. The bathroom products we use are provided by the Marriott brand as a standard for our hotel and are sustainable, green products. Based on your review, I will personally inspect the hair dryer used in our rooms and determine if a change should be made. Thank you for choosing us and I look forward to future visits.
Wisconsin
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This Marriott was recommended to me as being a "new" hotel so I was very surprised with the poor condition of the facility. My room was visibly dirty with smudges, fingerprints, a stale smell, dirty walls, etc. The same was true in the public areas...trash overflowing from the garbage can by the elevator, fingerprints all over the elevator door... The decor was very dated. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Clint D, Manager at Cleveland Marriott East, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear MomWisconsin,

Thank you for staying with us sharing your feedback through trip advisor.

CLINT DEATON
Assistant General Manager
Marriott Cleveland East
clint.deaton@marriott.com
216.378.9191
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Using the word Adequate would be generous when describing this establishment. The service was definitely not top notch, but it was fair. The hotel's room service delivered the food in a timely manner however, often the food was cold. The plates would sit in the hallways for hours at end eventually causing the hallways to smell like a new carpet and spoiled milk. Imagine yourself in Iraq sleeping on a rock….yeah, thats what the beds felt like. The blankets were fluffy and the pillow sheets were clean. However, the pillows underneath were stained urine yellow indicating they are extremely old or dirty. The bathroom was clean but their were also urine stains around the toilet. The location was not bad, about 15 minutes from downtown cleveland. There is currently no spa in the hotel. I overheard what I assumed was the management speaking to the associates. The man was probably in his early thirties. Navy blue coat and tie. He came off as very passive aggressive but with a firm, agitated look on his face. The management was speaking about an overflowing toilet that was never cleaned up. The front desk clerks seemed distraught by the pressure and attitude the management was giving. I actually felt bad for them. First off, when there are disgusting issues like this, they should be brought up in private, NOT WHERE THE WHOLE HOTEL CAN HEAR. Secondly, this was no way for the management to talk to the associates. I can only imagine how two faced he is with the public. The only personnel who truly seemed to have great customer service skills was a guy who greeted me as I walked in. His name was Chase. He truly made me feel welcomed and felt like he would do whatever was needed to make my stay as comfortable as possible. Overall though, I would never stay back at this hotel again. The hotel was bad enough, but the management seemed to put the cherry on the cake.

Room Tip: Stay on the eighth floor and haggle the front desk clerks. They will lower their prices. Also, compl...
Green Features: The hotel liked to refrain from heating the lobby to lower gas bills while staying economically friendly.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 217Lois
Kenny D, General Manager at Cleveland Marriott East, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear 217lois,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Trip Advisor Survey and sharing your experience with the Cleveland Marriott East.

You indicated in your response that your was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is a new standard Marriott with nice carpets, fluffy bed toppers, and a concierge lounge. But the staff seems inexperienced and a bit "over-enthusiastic". Both the front desk and the concierge staff reminded me of camp counselors who are REALLY glad you're here at camp. Frankly, I just want efficient check in, and don't ask me how I'm doing at 8pm on a cold Sunday night.

The second night of my stay there was TV noise that lasted until after midnight. I would have called earlier but kept thinking it would stop. I called the front desk and they sent security to my room. He said the noise was from a floor down. The guard left and got it silenced right away, but then I could hear the guest COUGHING. So these walls are thin.

The hotel is in a newly developed area of chain stores and restaurants. There are no convenience stores, scenic or cultural things of any significance. Basically no ambiance.

Based on the price being higher than the Courtyard Marriott Beachwood, I'd probably just stay at the Courtyard next time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Kenny D, General Manager at Cleveland Marriott East, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Bradleystat,

I wanted to reach out to you and apologize for the noise issues you experienced on property and I am happy we addressed them promptly when they were brought to our attention. In regard to the the enthusiasm of our associates, it is challenging to dial down the strong spirit to serve that all of our staff has towards our guests. I am pleased that the hotel was clean during your stay as we work hard to deliver the best product to our guests. I do hope that you choose us when your travels bring you to Cleveland and allow us to continue to earn your business.
Wayland, ma
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Great location (right off highway). Rooms are tidy, but average.

Areas that could be improved are the pre-check in and front desk. I am on my second stay (business trips) at this location. I have stayed Marriotts hundreds of nights in my career, so I have lots of experience.

This facility lacks consistency and hasn't mastered engaging frequent members. There is no real concierge here to help with local travel and dining - big disappointment. This stay, I got a suite (with old decor) that was right on top of elevator - my express request is to always be away from elevator - I had to talk to 2 people to get them to agree the room was indeed next to the elevator.

Also, if you have any sort of preferences, forget assuming that the front desk will get them ready for you - call ahead to make sure that they understand them.

Room Tip: Away from the highway
Green Features: Like every Marriott - you won't get a bright light bulb around!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Clint D, Manager at Cleveland Marriott East, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Waylandtransplant,

You indicated in your response that your stay with us was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

CLINT DEATON
Assistant General Manager
Marriott Cleveland East
clint.deaton@marriott.com
216.378.9191
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Just spend couples of night there which is very easy access to the highway. The hotel is like most Marriott - nice and clean. The staff was very nice and helpfull. The kids enjoyed the indoor pool which is perfectly adequate for them to play and it is well kept and clean.
Parking a very easy and as you are just next to a small mall few franchise restaurants / fastfoods are next to the hotel.
If you have to be in that part of town a good place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Homewood Suites Cleveland-Beachwood
Embassy Suites by Hilton Cleveland - Beachwood
Courtyard Cleveland Beachwood
DoubleTree Cleveland East/Beachwood

Been to Cleveland Marriott East? Share your experiences!