“Best chocolate donut in the US”
Review of Der Dutchman

Der Dutchman
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet
Description: For the hard-working people of Holmes County, Ohio, eating is a simple pleasure, shared at family meals, times of fellowship, and celebrations. Der Dutchman Restaurant has been at the heart of this community and its food traditions for more than 30 years. Our Amish Kitchen Cooking is the No. 1 reason generations of visitors make the trip to Der Dutchman every year. But our hilltop location and spectacular view come in a close second. Lunch and dinner feature simple, straightforward classics—chicken, country-cured ham, roast beef and turkey, and chicken potpie. Hearty side dishes include real mashed potatoes, homemade egg noodles, and the freshest tasting creamed corn you’ll ever have the good fortune to eat. There’s also a great Kid’s Menu, with all their favorites, and lighter options, including homemade soups, fresh salads, and sandwiches.
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Rurh, the owner, created this scrumptous chocolate donut. But, it doesn't stop there. She inserts white creme icing into the donut. Wait..it gets better! Ruth icings the top with chocolate. Voila ! The best ever!

In addition, the coffee it bountiful- with flavored creamers! Kill me now!

Every baked good in here is homemade and wrapped with loving care.

Prices are inexpensive. And, there are a few seats to lounge and read the paper.

If you are passing through..do not pass by this gem!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

A couple of my friends and I, visit this first rate restaurant, once a month, and have been coming for years. The food is excellent, the service is first rate, and the salad bar is unbeatable. If you can get a window seat, you will enjoy some great scenery as well. Next door is a wonderful bakery, where if in season, you can get the best peach, and strawberry pies, along with freshly baked breads, and pastry.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We met my aunt, who lives nearby, and had lunch there. The staff was very friendly and courteous. I'm not Amish but I do come from an Amish heritage and am familiar with their cooking. With all the Amish families and other families eating in their big dining room made me feel like I was at my family reunion. The food was excellent as expected. If you enjoy family home-style cooking at a larger scale, then this is the place to come.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We eat there every time we go to the Amish. The food is always excellent. We always fill up on the meal and take the dessert back to the hotel to enjoy before bed.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Sorry, it's plain food without much flair. There's plenty of it and service was great...just not my cup of tea!

2  Thank Jody854

Been to Der Dutchman? Share your experiences!