“Fine Dining - Finally!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chez Francois Restaurant

Chez Francois Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Francois Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Vermilion
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Ferry St.
Cleveland
“Fine Dining - Finally!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

I have wanted to go to Chez Francois for many years but thought it was too far for dinner. I finally decided to make it a day trip to celebrate our 29th Wedding Anniversary and what a great idea that turned out to be. We had great weather so we took the convertible out and headed for Shoepfle Gardens. After a very nice stroll around there beautiful gardens, we headed to Chez Francois, just 6 miles away. On our way in we met the Chef and he was the nicest person, stopping to ask us if we were celebrating anything and telling us the specials. We had asked to sit on the patio and we loved our table on the water. Dinner began with some crisp Domain Chandon champagne and an amuse-bouche of gazpacho and avocado foam that was very tasty. I ordered the Artichaut à l’Alouette and the Veal Castle both of which I recommend. We also had King Salmon from Alaska's Sitka Bay. The Salmon was prepared perfectly and a very large portion. However, the bed of uncooked Napa cabbage it sat on was mispaired with the salmon. The Veal Castle was perfect in every way. Our waiter Dave and server Tyler were outstanding. Dave told us about the specials and answered all our questions nicely, even the ones that were not about the restaurant. Tyler kept our table crumb free and made sure I had all the correct forks and knives. For desert, we each had the Gâteau Chocolat Moulleux, Crème Glacée. I was very good and enough for two. If you area caramel lover like me, you might like a bit more caramel The nice thing about desert is that it is moderately priced at $10 and includes a 2 oz pour of a matched wine. Our bill was reasonable for a restaurant of this caliber and actually less than some of Cleveland's hotspots. The only word of caution is that the website is out of date. It has sample 5-course Prix Fixe dinners priced at $76 + $30 for wine, and in the restaurant it was $90 for the dinner and $40 for the wine. We ended our day with a stroll up the quaint historic Main Street. Perfect!

Akron, Ohio
“Top rated French Restaurant. Superb.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

We have been coming to Chez Francois for almost 20 years either once or twice a year. It is simply one of the best dining experiences you could imagine. A French restaurant in the middle of Ohio? Yes.

The food rivals top-rated NYC restaurants I have been to - Del Posto or Jean Georges. The service is very laid back but attentive and the host and maître d' who is one of the owners is superb. Jackets are required if you sit inside. It's more casual dress outside but the same outstanding food. Try the Boeuf Wellington - awesome. ;-)

Trip Advisor has it as the number one restaurant in Vermillion but I think you can't ask for anything better between NYC and Chicago.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cleveland, Ohio
“Not to be forgotten birthday dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

Far exceeded my expectations. The personalized birthday card at our table, allowing us to stroll the board walk prior to serving the appetizers, absolutely delicious Gazpacho, Coquilies Saint Jacques a la Parisienne, Escalope de veau aux Fruits de Mer, and Mousse au chocolat Belgique. Staff was professional, friendly, and always eager to please. IF one must complain: the bathroom (Female) was a bit small, but I selected this restaurant for the food, not the bathroom stall size.

Carlisle, Massachusetts
“Completely surprised by excellence.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

In town for our son's graduation from Oberlin College, we wanted to take him and some of his friends to dinner. Seven of us went to this restaurant, not really knowing what to expect. The maitre d' was the first sign that this was going to be a nice evening. Incredibly friendly, showed us to the bar while we waited for everyone to arrive, made sure we did not have to wait. They seated us at a lovely table in a stunning dining room, with a view of the river flowing into Lake Erie, just a couple of hundred meters away. Every one was delighted with the food (I had escargot and beef wellington, and framboisie flambee for dessert - crazy good). We thought we were going to go to a pretentious place that faked French restaurants. Instead, this place was a huge, pleasant surprise. One of the best restaurants I have eaten in, ever. And that is saying a lot. Everyone at our table said the same. And though it was a bit pricy by local standards, it definitely was not by Boston standards.

east greenwich, rhode island
“The best meal I have had in a long time! Rivals any French restaurant in New York City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

What a pleasant surprise. I had read the reviews and heard this was a 5* restaurant, but the reviews and ratings do not do this restaurant justice! First I had the gazpacho, avocado espuma. Very wonderful favors. The cream of Ohio asparagus cappuccino was so delicious I could have had that as my meal. The seasonal spinach salad was good. My roasted maple leaf farm duck breast was so delicious I forced myself to finish it! I did not have room for dessert, but could not pass on the Delarobi fruit tart with black currant sorbet. What a phenomenal dining experience. Cannot wait to return.

Visited May 2014