“Deceptive Practices”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Vermilion
ohio
“Deceptive Practices”
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Be sure to get all information before you make your reservation - especially if you are using a debit card to pay for your room. My experience is that not only was I given an exact room rate which was to be charged to my debit card, but that is the exact amount that I gave permission for the Holiday Inn Express to charge to my debit card.

However, the hotel felt it necessary to charge an additional 10% of the entire room rate plus tax to my debit card "in case there were any additional charges to my room". I was not told of this "policy" when I booked the room. I was not advised of this "policy" when I paid for my room at check in. I only found out of the excessive charge when I reviewed my bank account online.

When I called the hotel to find out why - I was given the "policy" speech and was told that the excessive charges would be released from the "hold" within 4-5 business days. I find this practice to be fraudulent since I was never advised of the policy nor had I given them permission to hold funds from my bank account in excess of the original quoted fee.

I have made 5 attempts to contact the corporate office and I was told that they would have someone from the Vermilion Holiday Inn Express contact me regarding my concerns. That was over 9 days ago and I have not heard one word from either the general manager or the ownership of the hotel. I have asked the corporate office to act further in regards to my concerns and they have not responded back either.

Find somewhere else to stay.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chelb718

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Nottingham
Reviewed May 12, 2009

A friend and I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel 29/30 April and again 8th May. I had had a difficult flight from England, and missed my flight from CVG to Cleveland because of Delta staffing problems, which meant a 5 hour delay. It was a huge pleasure to get to the hotel lateish on in the evening, and to find a beautifully equipped bedroom, and a wonderful shower with bathtub. The staff were kindness itself, and the breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed August 25, 2008

This was a last minute weekend trip to Put-In-Bay & Cedar Point. We wanted to stay closer to the park but didn't want to pay too much and wanted something clean, quiet and comfortable.
After reading other reviews, I knew this would be a good choice and it was.

Located about 20 minutes (give or take) East of Cedar Point off Hwy 2, the Holiday Inn Express in Vermillion is definitely quiet. I was fortunate to book two double rooms the night before our arrival, right next to each other but not adjoining, as the hotel was almost sold out.

The staff was very friendly and check-in went smoothly. The front desk clerk was helpful with questions we had and was able to separate out the reservations I made for my family and my parents so that we could pay separately and still get our respective reward points.

The hotel is kept up well and has the standard Holiday Inn Express decor - not brand new but not shabby either. The room was very clean, especially the bathroom and shower. The soft and firm distinction on the pillows was nice. However, the beds were a little hard (my only complaint). As suggested by the instructions, keeping the air conditioner on low did cool the room. So much so, I had to get up and turn the temperature up because I was too cold.

We did have the complimentary breakfast. The staff did keep it well stocked with fresh food. It is a small area compared to other Holiday Inn Express' I've stayed in but the conference area had been opened up with additional tables and a TV. It was definitely popular and busy as it was a summer weekend filled with many families heading to Cedar Point. Still the food was fine, fresh and the area clean.

My two young daughters did manage to get me to the indoor pool. The water was a little cool but once in the pool it was fine and was clean and not overly chlorinated. In fact, while we were playing in the pool, the "pool boy" came and tested the water - which made me feel better. Housekeeping also came and put out many fresh pool towels.

Overall our stay was good and I would go back again.

• Liked — Clean, quiet and a good deal.
  • Disliked — The beds were a little too hard for my liking.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 22, 2008

WOW! A great hotel in a very quaint little town. The room was spotless along with all the common areas and pool. Free breakfast was a great plus and was always well stocked and cleaned up often. The room was spotless with very comfortable beds and a HUGE bathroom. It was an easy 25 minute drive to Cedar Point and with using the "back entrance" we beat all the Sandusky traffic. Vermillion was a great town with a festival going on while we were there and some great resturants. Ask the front desk staff for a recommendation, they sent us to a great little mexican place that was cheap with great food! I was concerned about being a little bit away from Cedar Point but after seeing the gross hotels down there I was really glad we chose this property!

• Liked — Very Clean
  • Disliked — Everything was great
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Waycross, GA
Reviewed July 19, 2008

We stayed at this hotel while visiting Cedar Point--from the reviews on this site, we gathered that Sandusky's hotels were not in our budget or too near train tracks! We found this hotel to be as nice as other members stated. The staff was very accomodating, and the hotel was QUIET, QUIET, QUIET. We stayed three nights and never had our sleep disturbed. There is no elevator, but the stairs are broad with a landing.

This hotel was very clean, and the desk clerks were often busy straightening the lobby and offering fresh cookies.

• Liked — The price and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canaan Valley, West Virginia
Reviewed June 3, 2008

We stopped in Vermilion as an overnight stopover on a trip to Chicago and to visit the Inland Seas Maritime Museum and booked our room there based on reviews we saw here.

I could easily be convinced that this hotel had just been built within the last year, yet the desk clerk told us it was about 12 years old.

Regardless it was very clean and the room was perfect.

The only negative is that they do need an elevator, especially if one is schlepping a lot of bags to ones room.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Lack of elevator
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed December 1, 2007

We stayed at this hotel over the Thanksgiving holidays, while we were visiting family in Vermilion. We were pleasantly surprised with the cleanliness and and the overall maintenance of the property. The rooms were simple and spacious. Everything was clean and well kept. The staff was friendly and helpful with our request for late check-out. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LTT_Atlanta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vermilion
Comfort Inn River's Edge
Hampton Inn & Suites Elyria
Best Western Plus Sandusky Hotel & Suites
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sandusky South
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland/Sheffield

Been to Holiday Inn Express Vermillion? Share your experiences!