“Disappointed”

Original Rib House
Ranked #22 of 39 Restaurants in Vandalia
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed July 28, 2014

The food was decent, but not what I would expect from a rib house. Menu left a bit to be desired, overpriced for the serving.

Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Ribs on a stick were dry and hard to chew. BBQ sauce was pathetic. Salads are considered a premium side but probably the best part of the meal. Owner was nice.

Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Staying in area for a seminar, my husband say the sign and although he is a vegetarian, he knows I love ribs so we stopped. Bad mistake! I wanted to call Chef Robert Irvin myself to help this restaurant. No kidding the 3 baby back ribs I got for my $10.00 meal were absolutely horrid. So dry couldn't chew them had to spit them out and the BBQ sauce was worse, tasted like old ketchup was a sprinkle of some seasoning? I asked the waitress to take it back. I didn't request to have the price removed from my bill, but she did, so to make up for the deduction she charged me $3.00 for lemonade which I only asked
for water with lemons,
Of course the salad was extra with the meal, so she charged me $4 for lettuce. The only saving grace was the homemade garlic dressing, it was very tasty.
After we left my husband told me there were bugs in the light above our table. The whole restaurant smelled musty and old. Chef Irvin they have a Restaurant Impossible! To everyone else Save yourself!

2  Thank Dyanne Z
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We were greeted very nicely and the service is good, but for a place that has been open for so long we were really expecting more. I saw the listing in a tourism magazine, so I was expecting a barbecue place, which this is not. Food was OK. Sauce on the ribs was good but the ribs were tough and serving size was small. Overall value was good. They do need to do something with the decor! The place just seemed kinda sad.

1  Thank travellin' C
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Had a whole rack of ribs with my family this past Friday November 8th. I also ordered the onion rings and coleslaw and shared the freshcut fries with my ten year old. EVERYTHING I ate was fantastic. A previous reviewer said all the sides and chicken, etc. came from GFS or premade. I don't where they have been eating, but it is simply NOT true at the Rib House. The onion rings/ straws are obviously homemade as were the fresh-cut fries and the coleslaw- even the ranch my kid likes to dip her fries in was house-made ( I could tell b/c I HATE the bottled hidden valley stuff). We had excellent service by an experienced and attentive server who anticipated our needs, took away empty plates, and refilled our glasses. I truly had one of the best meals I have had in many years. I have nothing personally to gain by exaggerating except the satisfaction of acknowledging a restaurant that gets it right. The only MINOR observation that I might agree with other posters is that the inside is looking a bit dated and could use a touch up. Other than that, this place is a classic that has my business anytime I am within 50 miles.

1  Thank Dan J