WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Vandalia
Vandalia, Ohio
“Better off elswhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

We booked and planned to stay several nights in this motel. We figured it’s nothing fancy but we only planned to shower and sleep there. Upon checking in, we noticed the shower was dirty the room had a slight odor but I cannot really describe it. The door's security chain was broken. There didn't appear to be any bugs in the room so we decided it was only a couple of nights and we would shove a chair against the door and deal with it, at least for that night. We didn't get much sleep because the beds were too soft and springy. Each time my wife or I moved we woke the other up. In addition, our backs hurt in the morning from the beds. We planned to find another motel or hotel in the morning but didn't because it was too close to check out time by the time my family was showered and ready to go. We left around 10:50 AM, and did not return until around 11:00PM. Upon entering our room, we discovered the housekeeping service never visited the room. I went to the front desk to complain, and to get fresh towels and coffee for the morning. The desk clerk told me the rooms weren't cleaned because we were booked as a weekly rental. I told him that was not the case. He then said the do-not-disturb sign was up. We I told him we removed the sign before 11:00 AM. I told him we wanted to check out then and not pay for the second night although we did not check at before 11:00 AM. He said he was sorry it was the "maids’ fault" but agreed. Then he said he would only charge us for two nights. I again told him no, only one. He then charged me for only one night (I think that was fare and give plus points for fair treatment and because the clerk was friendly throughout our discussion) Other than the fair charges following debate, the hotel is not on my list of places to stay. The showers were dirty, there was a cigarette burn in one of the bed spreads, the exterior of the building desperately needed paint. Stay at the Motel 6 and save $20 if you want a cheap and clean place to stay. They are usually better than what we experience at the Vandalia Super 8 Motel

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Albany, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2011

We stopped here after driving for 12 hours and simply needed a place to rest overnight before continuing on with our road trip. Since we were traveling with a small dog we needed a place that would accept pets as well. This hotel fit the bill.

The man at the front desk was very helpful and friendly, and we got a good rate thanks to a coupon in one of those rest-stop coupon books. The room itself was about as middle-of-the-road as it gets. No frills, but nothing to complain about either. Everything appeared clean, from the sheets to the towels. The bathroom could have used some re-caulking and the room was a little musty (typical of pet-friendly rooms) and smelled like disinfectant cleaner (as other reviews have stated), but was good enough for 1 night at the rate we paid.

The hotel guests seemed to be a mix of overnight travelers and vacationing families. In spite of being so close to the highway, it was fairly quiet. As quiet as it gets for a motor-court style hotel with only exterior entrances.

There was a basic breakfast of pastries, cereal, fruit and coffee in the morning and every fast food restaurant you could imagine nearby. Just like any other highway exit.

There was a small pool as well, it looked nice, but we didn't have a chance to use it.

===== ===== =====

RATING SCALE: My ratings are generally based on value vs money. Thus, sometimes a simple hotel will receive a 4 or 5, while a fancy hotel can rank a 1 or 2 if I don't feel it was worth the cost.

Also, a hotel can do everything right and still only rank as a 4, unless there's something really exceptional about it.

5 = Hotel gets everything right, and goes above and beyond.
4 = Hotel gets everything right.
3 = Hotel is acceptable value for money spent.
2 = Hotel isn't worth the money spent.
1 = Hotel should pay ME to stay there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank akosz
North Dakota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2011

We must have stayed just before the change from Super 8 to Econo Lodge. Hopefully the name change will bring some needed improvements. Upon entering the room we noticed an unusual odor--kind of a sweet disinfectant smell. The bedbug check came up negative, but that was about all we liked. The bathroom could have been cleaner and the carpet felt like it shouldn't be walked on with bare feet. The chair in the room was filthy, falling apart and had some nasty stains. Finally, the truck traffic on the nearby interstate is heavy and noisy. Not a good nights rest.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Vandalia hotels

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2011

If you are looking for a place to sleep before a flight, this is the place to be. Otherwise, I would not recommend this hotel. It is quite dated, the room was not very clean. Shower didn't look like it had been cleaned from prior guests.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Zann11
Detroit
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

I stayed here for 1 night on my way home from Kentucky. The room was smaller than I expected, but seemed clean. It is conveniently located right off the freeway behind a
McDonalds. I booked the room online and got a great price. The man checking in ahead of me paid $20.00 more than I did for the same room. I would never stay here again
however for 2 reasons. You are automactically billed $1.50 upon check-in for use
of the in-room safe whether you actually use the safe or not, which I did not. You have to make a point of insisting that the charge be removed when you check-out. This is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to pad the bill. My other complaint was the 60 watt light bulbs in the room. I could barely see to read even with all the lights in the room turned on. I don't care how cheap the room is, I shouldn't have to bring my own lightbulbs just to read a magazine. The owner of this motel should take some of the profit he is making from the in-room safe fees and use it to buy brighter lightbulbs.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2010

The check in person is in a drive up window booth when you check in but was suddenly right at our room when we pulled up to room 110. In a well lit area our rental car gas tank was siphoned between the hours of 11pm and 4am. THIS IS NOT A SECURE PARKING LOT.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Barrie, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2009

No frills, but clean and pleasant facility. It is nothing fancy, but friendly front-desk, and great for the money.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vandalia
Airport Inn & Parking Vandalia / Dayton International Airport
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North
Drury Inn & Suites Dayton North
Red Roof Inn Dayton North Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Dayton-Vandalia
TownePlace Suites Dayton North

Been to Super 8 Vandalia/Dayton International Airport? Share your experiences!