“True Ohio home cookin'”
Review of Balyeat's Coffee Shop - CLOSED

Balyeat's Coffee Shop
Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

The sign hanging outside is the coolest I've ever seen! If I could buy it I'd redecorate my entire house around it!! I had knock wurst and kraut on Real mashed potatoes and my husband had Salibury steak, both were excellent. Portions are generous, but not so much so that you want to skip desert. That's good because the pie is not to be missed--homemade and about 8 kinds to choose from. I hate that I can't come here every week since I live in NC!!!

1  Thank Nashcp

Reviewed June 24, 2012

It actually is a down-home diner, visited by local folks every day, and by many others on other days. Used to eat here every day or get carry-out, and also got food here when I wasn't working in town. Just general good stuff, REAL mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, real meatloaf, etc. They have certain specials every day such as beef & noodles on Tuesdays and Thursdays, real homemade mac & cheese and also salmon patties on Fridays, etc. Fun to watch the old dudes like Dale yell at the waitresses... I actually LOVE eating here in the winter, just don't go here much in the summer when the weather is hot. It's all about hot home-made food... I'm just not a girl who likes mashed potatoes and meatloaf, etc, in the summer...

1  Thank nitroliz
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This restaurant is downtown, has been around since the 1920's. The decor probably hasn't been updated since the 50's or 60's and is very simple. I felt like I was going back in time when I walked in the door. We went for Sunday "dinner" (lunch). You can sit at the counter or at tables. The Sunday menu was very simple - chicken and (homemade) noodles, fried chicken, baked pork tenderloin, prime rib, and a couple other things - as well as about five sandwiches. The kids meals are smaller portions of the adult meals at a price reduced according to their age. The dinners come with soup or tomato juice, a salad, a vegetable, mashed or baked potato, and homemade bread. Prices average $8-$10 and the portions are plentiful. The food was very good, but needed salt and pepper. Being a southern gal I'm used to lots of seasoning and I've noticed that yankee cooking is usually bland. The service was very friendly, value for the money was great, and we'll go back again.

1  Thank bardaisy
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Service is personal, food is plentiful and its just the way your Grandmother made it. This family owned operation will take you back to when you pulled out your good dishes and the whole family came for Sunday dinner. Watch your food being put together and stare at the pies and cakes and you will beg to find room for dessert.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

My husband and I have eaten here several times on our trips to Michigan from Ohio. It is our favorite place to stop. We go there every opportunity. We love to sit at the counter and enjoy experiencing old time service. The pie is great and there are many home cooked items on the menu which vary each day. There are few coffee shops like this any more. We were impressed to know that the owner who is in his 80's started there as a young boy busing tables. His lifetime love of the place is apparent in every detail. He is the pie maker and it's a taste of old time culinary delight.

Roger and Linda