“Dining Divas at the Valley City restaurant”

Gandalf's Pub & Restaurant
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Grill
Reviewed September 16, 2018

We had a group of 15 women who live in the neighborhood, who went out to dinner together. I had the Lake Eerie Perch dinner and really enjoyed it with a nice glass of white wine. It was a perfect night for sitting on the porch, so the group really enjoyed the ambiance. Our waitress was excellent and the dinners were varied, from sausage to pasta to fish. I would definitely take my family back there for a dinner out, nearby our home and in the country.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank Mag M

Reviewed August 12, 2018

Heard about this place from someopne up the road so we thought we would give it a try. Hit them for Sunday brunch. I had a cheese omellet which had carmelized onions in it and was quite tasty. Partner had a reuben which was also quite tasty - Both served with tater tots which were better than the usual fries. Try it out.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed June 25, 2018

Joined friends at Gandalf's Pub Sunday afternoon for food, drinks, and entertainment -- Barleycorrn was playing on the patio. What a great way to spend a summer afternoon! The entertainment was great, the Irish food hearty and the beer cold. And when you entered the patio, it looked like a convention of Irish lasses -- a sea of red hair and freckles greeted you. Gandalf's is just a fun place to go when you want to be Irish for an afternoon.

Reviewed June 24, 2018

My husband and I went to Gandalf's Pub with a group of friends to listen to the New Barleycorn band on Sunday afternoon. Love the outdoor patio. We started with a drink. I got a gin and tonic and it was one of the best drinks of that kind I had ever had. My husband had a Fat Head's summer beer which he also liked. (the server we had was very nice but knew nothing about the beers they sold on tap.) I ordered the perogies and onions and sour cream, my husband got the Pulled Pork sandwich which he really liked. I got my perigies and didn't realize the prepare them by deep frying them. I went to cut them and they were like thick cardboard...overcooked. I tried to eat one but couldn't cut it. So I decided to see if I could exchange them for another meal. The server didn't know if I could do that. So I told her, I was hungry so I will just order something and she should check with the owner. I ordered the hamburger and they just gave me kettle chips, I didn't realize I could have gotten french fries or sweet potato fries, which I would have preferred. When I got the burger the server told me that the owner said he would not take the perogies off my bill. I have NEVER been to a place where they didn't want to satsify the customer. I usually eat my meal if by some chance it wasn't up to par, which doesn't happen too often. But they were overcooked and like cardboard and very tasteless. Needless to say we will not eat there again. People in the group I was in said the food is good based on who is in the kitchen. So I think next time we go to listen to the New Barleycorn and my husband and I will eat elsewhere first and just drink there and enjoy the music.
The servers were very nice and tried hard to get drinks to everyone in a timely manner but when the NBC plays there they are usually packed.

Date of visit: June 2018
Yank32, Owner at Gandalf's Pub & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2018

Thanks for coming to the restaurant on Sunday to see The New Barley Corn. I think there was a bit of confusion because I DID say to take them off your bill. I'm sorry you were charged, that was never my intention nor is it my policy. And I thought I was completely clear with your server to remove them. I will discuss with her to see why there was a mixup. When you have an internationally famous band play on your patio, it can be a little chaotic. Sorry for the confusion. It states on our menu that the perogies are fried, as well as the fact you can get fries, tater tots or sweet potato fries with your burger. Sorry you didn't like them. If you can call me at the pub, I'll send you a refund or gift certificate. We really try to make our customers happy. It was an amazing day and I thought everyone was really happy. We don't charge a cover when a band of their caliber play, because we value our customers and want them to enjoy the music for free on our patio on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. We hope you'll give us another try.

Reviewed June 3, 2018 via mobile

Stopped in this afternoon after seeing several good reviews.

Service was extremely slow and the menu is apparently limited during Sunday Brunch.

The menu lists a side of fruit with a number of the dishes we ordered. We did not receive any fruit, nor any explanation as to why we did not receive fruit. Only after we asked did our server told us they were out of fruit. She seemed put off that we eve asked.

Considering the fact that the menu shows the fruit at the same cost as the other sides one would think a substitution would have been offered. She made no such offer.

Food was ok, but the items we went to try were not on the Sunday brunch menu, so maybe it’s better when they have the full menu. Doubt we’ll be going to back to find out.

2  Thank jphunt23