“Good food, slow service”
Review of MJ Mugsy's - CLOSED

MJ Mugsy's
Cuisines: Italian
Description: Large Italian restaurant in the middle of downtown Upper Sandusky. Reasonably priced with adequate food.
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a great meal last Saturday evening. I had pork loin and it was delicious. I never eat French fries anymore since I try to eat healthy, but decided to order beer battered fries. I'm glad that I did because they were nice and crispy and super tasty. My husband ordered pasta carbonera and said it was really good. We both enjoyed the olive garden style endless salad and breadsticks.

The reason this review is 4 (was almost 3) instead of a 5 was the super slow service. Our waitress was very friendly, but very slow. After being seated it took awhile to get our drink order. Then we were served our salad and after that it was a very, very long wait for our entrees. We arrived just before 8pm on a Saturday night. The restaurant was less than half full though and there was no reason for such a long wait. I am so glad we weren't in any kind of a hurry!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Went on a Sunday afternoon. We had a party of six. The food was good but the service was way to slow. The funny thing was we couldn't tell who was the waitress and who was the cook. "I think it was the same person" She was very sweet and felt bad because we were waiting so long for our food. Recommendation would be...plan on a long wait for food and don't make any plans that require a specific arrival time.

1  Thank stcroix30
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were in the area and had no idea where to eat. We stopped in weary from the road. While walking through the long narrow dining room to get to the front/bar area, a table bus person was walking directly toward us carrying a dish tub. He had a blank look on his face and just kept coming. My partner and I had to step aside as to not get ran over. He made no attempt to say excuse me or anything. Had me wondering what this visit was going to be like from jump street. We found a table and sat there a few seconds and a middle aged guy with a kid got up from the bar, chewing on something, went to the silverware bin got some stuff for us, walked to the table still chewing, no greeting no nothing, plunked down the silverware and walked away. I have little tolerance for this kind of stuff and was a knats eye lash from walking out. The saving grace was the waitress herself turned out to be pleasant and attentive. The bar area had some older tv's and cables kind of cobbled up going into the ceiling tiles which were ajar. The food presentation lacked creativity. Tasted okay though and I left full. Desserts were somewhat overpriced. The help just seemed fragmented and their were folks in and out of the back dressed in t shirts and jean shorts and other interesting attire and body markings. No uniform attire for the staff, as you would expect any decent Italian restaurant worth its salt. This place had great potential and with a few little moves and perhaps studying "Restaurant Impossible", they would make a lot of money. I wouldn't go out of my way to plan a trip back however. Boy was my blood boiling when I first walked in, but it worked out just okay.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were out for a drink at a sports bar this Labor Day weekend in Upper Sandusky but our target spot was closed for the holiday so we stopped at Mugsy's. There was only one other customer there on this Sunday afternoon but we loved the feel of the place. Warm and charming with a unique mural on the wall, very comfy! The server/bartender came over right away and we asked questions about what beer was available etc. She quickly said that she was only "filling in" today and didn't know much about the beers, food etc. Despite this we enjoyed ourselves. We opted for bottled beer which wasn't very cold but a decent selection to choose from. We really enjoyed the appetizers though! We had calamari which was fried really crispy and light but served with what tasted like ketchup :(. Had that had a spicy sauce it would have been outstanding. We also had Tempura Shrimp that was super crispy and delicious. By scanning the menu this looks like a place I'd definately return to for lunch or dinner!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Went on the recommendation from a fellow beer lover. First off, their beer selection is awesome. Nine taps, six of which were running Oktoberfests (seemed liked overkill from mediocre brands), but what do I know.

Food was just ok... had Spaghetti Deluxe with meatballs and italian sausage, hard breadsticks, and was served a family sized salad (for just me). Overall for a Tuesday night with not very many people there the service and food was slow. Bottom line, I'd go back to have a great beer, but probably won't eat.