Stayed 2 nights while visiting family in the area.
Lobby smelled of curry. Woman at the counter was very friendly. I felt safe in the hotel and in the parking lot; it's basically in the country.
Hotel was 100% vacant upon check-in on a Friday afternoon even though the website said only a few rooms were left. I would advise calling the hotel directly for a possible lower rate if this hotel is commonly this empty. After leaving and returning around 11:30 that night, 3 cars in the parking lot. Seems they put all 4 guests in a row in the same part of the hotel. Saturday night was the same. Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday night all quiet, Sunday morning was a bit noisy but not out of the ordinary for a hotel near check-out time.
Continental breakfast included: oatmeal in a packet, some sort of egg beater, mini-muffins, corn flakes + cheerios cereal, 2 types of juice, hard-boiled eggs, bread/toast, bagels, I saw a waffle griddle but since I don't like waffles I'm not sure if batter was available, but I assume so. I had cereal, oatmeal and mini-muffin, they offered no fresh fruit. Egg beaters were gross. Milk was appropriately cold and didn't have that left out and got warm taste. Mini-muffins were moist and not stale.
My room had ants on the first day, 4-5 in the bathroom sink and then about the same in the bathroom on the floor by the tub. Second day, spider on the bath mat I had hanging over the edge of the tub. I don't like bugs. Otherwise the place seemed clean and recently updated. Bed was very comfortable and pillows also comfy. Small desk in the room, 2 nightstands, an armoire with a 32" LCD TV, tiny microwave, decent sized mini-fridge. The time on the alarm clock hadn't been set. Shower shot out a flood of water and the drain couldn't handle it and the water not-ever-so-slowly began to backup and fill the bottom of the tub. The shower head was kinda gross looking and was the only dirty looking thing in the hotel. The AC at night worked and the heat worked in the morning. The room didn't smell bad and neither did the heat/AC. On my second morning they must have put a smoker in the next room (even though the door said non-smoking). The hallway smelled bad and my bathroom wreaked of cigarette smoke, so bad it triggered an allergy attack (not exaggerating.) The in-room paper TV guide listed HBO on channel 6, channel 6 was blue screen, they only received basic cable, maybe 30ish channels, no premium channels.
Exterior doors were securely locked at all times and entry was by key-card. I didn't see any truckers. I didn't use the pool, but I saw 1 child on Saturday using it. There are vending machines, good ice, and a washer and dryer (coin op) all available on the first floor.
There is a Bob Evans, Wendy's, Subway (I think) and gas station all within walking distance. There is also an Arby's, Taco Bell, Burger King and Wal-mart all within a half-mile.
A few miles down the road (west) is the very cute town. It offered 1 independent restaurant and Dominos Pizza and no entertainment other than a seedy looking bar with weirdo's hanging out outside the front door. There was lots of friendly pedestrian traffic in town and a small museum that I did not check out.
Due to the bugs, cigarette smoke and the issue with the poor drainage in the tub I give this 2.5/5 stars, otherwise I would have rated it 4 stars, and if they fixed those issues and offered a better breakfast and premium TV than 5 stars. I think for what I got the room should be priced at about $69/night... $86 was overpriced. I had a AAA discount which saved me $10 but then there was $11 in taxes, so right back up to $86. I wasn't asked to show my AAA card either.
There's only 2 reasons to stay at this hotel, you're on the road late and you need a place to stay or you have business/family in town. I checked prices in a 30 minute drive time radius (including Bucyrus and Tiffin) and this was the lowest priced hotel with acceptable reviews. I would stay here again but I'd try to negotiate a lower rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Book your room at our well-appointed Smoke Free Royalton Inn & Suites Upper Sandusky hotel in northwestern Ohio on the Sandusky River. Enjoy in-room amenities like free Wi-Fi Internet access at your work desk, a microwave and refrigerator, and then get a workout in our exercise facility or soak in the indoor heated pool. Book a whirlpool suite for additional comfort and take advantage of our guest laundry facilities. Handicapped-accessible rooms are available at our hotel in Upper Sandusky, and kids 17 and under stay free with an adult. Start the day on the right foot with free continental breakfast before heading out ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Royalton Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Days Inn & Suites Upper Sandusky Hotel Upper Sandusky
- Days Inn And Suites Upper Sandusky
- Upper Sandusky Best Western
- Best Western Upper Sandusky
- Royalton Inn & Suites Upper Sandusky, Ohio