“Take the good with the bad...”

Royalton Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Upper Sandusky
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Stayed 2 nights while visiting family in the area.

Lobby smelled of curry. Woman at the counter was very friendly. I felt safe in the hotel and in the parking lot; it's basically in the country.

Hotel was 100% vacant upon check-in on a Friday afternoon even though the website said only a few rooms were left. I would advise calling the hotel directly for a possible lower rate if this hotel is commonly this empty. After leaving and returning around 11:30 that night, 3 cars in the parking lot. Seems they put all 4 guests in a row in the same part of the hotel. Saturday night was the same. Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday night all quiet, Sunday morning was a bit noisy but not out of the ordinary for a hotel near check-out time.

Continental breakfast included: oatmeal in a packet, some sort of egg beater, mini-muffins, corn flakes + cheerios cereal, 2 types of juice, hard-boiled eggs, bread/toast, bagels, I saw a waffle griddle but since I don't like waffles I'm not sure if batter was available, but I assume so. I had cereal, oatmeal and mini-muffin, they offered no fresh fruit. Egg beaters were gross. Milk was appropriately cold and didn't have that left out and got warm taste. Mini-muffins were moist and not stale.

My room had ants on the first day, 4-5 in the bathroom sink and then about the same in the bathroom on the floor by the tub. Second day, spider on the bath mat I had hanging over the edge of the tub. I don't like bugs. Otherwise the place seemed clean and recently updated. Bed was very comfortable and pillows also comfy. Small desk in the room, 2 nightstands, an armoire with a 32" LCD TV, tiny microwave, decent sized mini-fridge. The time on the alarm clock hadn't been set. Shower shot out a flood of water and the drain couldn't handle it and the water not-ever-so-slowly began to backup and fill the bottom of the tub. The shower head was kinda gross looking and was the only dirty looking thing in the hotel. The AC at night worked and the heat worked in the morning. The room didn't smell bad and neither did the heat/AC. On my second morning they must have put a smoker in the next room (even though the door said non-smoking). The hallway smelled bad and my bathroom wreaked of cigarette smoke, so bad it triggered an allergy attack (not exaggerating.) The in-room paper TV guide listed HBO on channel 6, channel 6 was blue screen, they only received basic cable, maybe 30ish channels, no premium channels.

Exterior doors were securely locked at all times and entry was by key-card. I didn't see any truckers. I didn't use the pool, but I saw 1 child on Saturday using it. There are vending machines, good ice, and a washer and dryer (coin op) all available on the first floor.

There is a Bob Evans, Wendy's, Subway (I think) and gas station all within walking distance. There is also an Arby's, Taco Bell, Burger King and Wal-mart all within a half-mile.

A few miles down the road (west) is the very cute town. It offered 1 independent restaurant and Dominos Pizza and no entertainment other than a seedy looking bar with weirdo's hanging out outside the front door. There was lots of friendly pedestrian traffic in town and a small museum that I did not check out.

Due to the bugs, cigarette smoke and the issue with the poor drainage in the tub I give this 2.5/5 stars, otherwise I would have rated it 4 stars, and if they fixed those issues and offered a better breakfast and premium TV than 5 stars. I think for what I got the room should be priced at about $69/night... $86 was overpriced. I had a AAA discount which saved me $10 but then there was $11 in taxes, so right back up to $86. I wasn't asked to show my AAA card either.

There's only 2 reasons to stay at this hotel, you're on the road late and you need a place to stay or you have business/family in town. I checked prices in a 30 minute drive time radius (including Bucyrus and Tiffin) and this was the lowest priced hotel with acceptable reviews. I would stay here again but I'd try to negotiate a lower rate.

Happy travels!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Royalton Inn & Suites

Reviewed May 25, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

Not up to Days Inn standard. You have to pay in full at registration. Hard to communicate with desk clerk due to her foreign accent. No elevator to 2nd floor. Ok as long as you are young or have no luggage. They could not look up my Wyndham number by address at check in. Bed was soft, rather than firm. Wireless internet signon lasted about 2 hours so you have to keep signing on. Just an experience you want to survive with minimal problems. Stay in another town if possible.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Best out of the two hotels available. Had friends tell me to stay away from the other. Appears to have been a Best Western as a sign is in the back that perhaps was taken down. It was there also July 2013 when I stayed here before. The people are very nice that run this establishment. There is a laundry if needed. The breakfast has a lot to be desired. Coffee, dry cereals, pastries, waffles. Bob Evan's is nearby if none of this works. It is clean. I always check for bugs and have not come across any. Newer carpets and renovation has taken place. Some of those items were a work in progress when there before last July. Truck drivers do come here and have trucks in back. The door on the NE side rear doesn't lock for their convenience. meaning don't need a room key to open the door. It does have camera surveillance here, but still knowing anyone can just open the door and come in doesn't sit too well. It was the second time staying here. I'll stay again as its not all that bad and there isn't much of a choice unless you stay 20 miles away where there are more hotels.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the front. Trucks in back sometimes have refrigerator/compressor start up in m...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank 183Jerry
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Overall a great place to stay - one light bulb was out, but I forgot to report it, so could not hold that against the staff. Otherwise great.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We were looking for lodging at the end of a very long drive from South Carolina. We chose this hotel as it was the first facility from the Ohio Turnpike and the price was resort. We were treated courteously at the check in and offered a King Bed with a jacuzzi at a very reasonable rate. We were very pleased with the cleanliness and organization of the room. The room contained a large flatscreen, coffee maker and a hot tub. The toiletries were first class. The jacuzzi was very relaxing. We always appreciate a hotel which offers to provide any little thing which we have forgotten. We were also appreciative of the security, which constantly watched the parking lot late at night. There were two little problems. We did not realize that the hotel was next to a railroad track and we were "blasted" twice during the night. We were a little disappointed in the complimentary breakfast. Standard pancake mix, cereal and coffee. No cream was offered and the coffee ran out with no attendant in site. We will travel again to Sandusky, but will not stay at this hotel due to the noise.

Room Tip: Stay away from the freight trains.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Quiet, clean and safe, the big three. The area is rural but services are good. Access is easy and gas, fast food and Walmart are nearby. Room has minifridge and microwave with digital TV. All favorable. A bit pricey but nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Holiday Inn Express Bucyrus
Sleep Inn & Suites Galion, OH
Holiday Inn Express Tiffin
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marion

Been to Royalton Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!