“Best Mexican restaurant in miles”
Review of el sombrero

el sombrero
Ranked #11 of 90 Restaurants in Troy
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The salsa is wonderful. My favorite dish is the Pollo a la Crema, but I've never had a bad meal here. Highly recommend it.

1  Thank deschape

Reviewed August 29, 2013

This wasn't the best Mexican meal I have had but it wasn't the worst either. Good enough service, just okay I guess.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were passing through Troy on I-75 and were looking for a place to eat. El Sombrero was one of the top-rated restaurants and was located near the highway, so we gave it a try. We were not disappointed, it was very good.

First the salsa – we’ve learned the hard way that if you go to a Mexican restaurant and the salsa isn’t any good, there is no hope for the meal. That’s not a problem at El Sombrero. Their salsa is a little runny compared to other places we’ve eaten, but it had a lot of flavor with big chunks of onion and lots of cilantro. We really liked it. Chips were light and crispy and served warm. A quick warning though… there was a sign in the dining room that starting in September they will begin to charge for chip and salsa refills - $1 for each chip refill and $.50 for each dish of salsa.

For dinner I had the taquitos rancheros and my wife had and enchilada. The taquitos were excellent and my wife said the enchilada was good (not great). They also feature a mix and match kids meal that was reasonably priced and came with good-sized portions. Both my kids got a taco, black beans and apple sauce. They loved it and I tried the taco as well which had a lot of meat and was very good.

Service was excellent with drinks, chips and salsa all kept full throughout the meal. We have already recommended this place to relatives who pass through the area regularly. We’ll be back as well.

Try the taquitos!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had just finished a long day of garage sale tripping on the 127 Yard Sale and needed something low frills but good. We opted for El Sombrero and were not disappointed. My husband has high standards for Mexican food (he's a native Texan who loves his Tex-Mex). He rated this as the best Mexican he's had north of the border (Texas-Oklahoma, that is). I was excited to see ranchera beans on the menu as an alternative to the same refrieds you get everywhere else. The salsa was fresh and very flavorful - nice tomato, garlic, and cilantro notes, and didn't have the canned, tinny taste you get at some Mexican eateries. Overall, I would truly recommend this place. Very casual, suitable for families, with friendly staff.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The food was as good and there's always plenty of it but this isn't the place it used to be. It used to be my favorite Mexican restaurant, but I think that's changed. It seems too American now. It just didn't have the authentic feel and taste I remember from the past. It's not a place I'd avoid by any means, but I'll probably head to Las Pitayos when I get the hankering for Mexican next time.

Been to el sombrero? Share your experiences!