“From Regular Returning Guest”

Best Western Dorset Oborne the Grange Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oborne
Camberley, United Kingdom
“From Regular Returning Guest”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

For business reasons I regularly stay at The Grange; recently I stayed again, this time for two nights. I was very surprised to read the comments put on Trip Advisor by the person who recently gave the hotel such a poor review. I have always found the accommodation extremely comfortable and the staff among the most helpful I have encountered - and for my sins I have to stay in many hotels!
I can only imagine that he or she must have been extraordinarily unlucky to have found so many problems. I hope the staff are not down-hearted by the comments made - I shall look forward to returning to The Grange and, judging by the very positive reviews they receive, so will many of their other guests.

Room Tip: I have had no problems in any of the rooms I have stayed in.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank B L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Wales
Reviewed March 6, 2012

what can I say Oborne is a beautiful location close to Sherborne, Dorchester and Yeovil the area feels very rural but close to Somerset and Dorset towns.

My room was very tired very dated but I must say extremely clean, staff were very stretched and not well trained. I was greeted by a chap called Jeremy who was helpful but trying to do to much but seemed a nice guy.

Dinner was ok very strange dining room with a table already made up for breakfast? also a bell rang every time chef required service it must have rang 30 times during dinner as the staff were to busy with the bar and trying to serve dinner etc, the kitchen was very noisy - more about noise later! Overall dinner was better than I thought it would be the steak was good and great chips no offer of mustard and not even asked if meal was ok or asked if I would like another drink I was sat with a empty glass most of the meal strange dining and service.

I went to my room for a quiet eve around 9:30pm but around 12:50am was woken by loud music coming from the bar below with people being loud this was a week night I called down to ask what was going on and I was told it was people in the bar drinking the music did stop after my call but I can't believe Jeremy the assistant Manager allowed this at such a late hour, its not what you expect anywhere but especially in a rural hotel and paying over £100 single occupancy.

Breakfast was another shocking experience, I waited 8 mins for someone to come and offer me a table the staff were all to busy talking with the chef in the kitchen laughing and joking there were dirty tables, they were to busy talking about the owners business, I heard how the owners pay for the Chefs trips back to and from the Isle of wight. The disgusting language was also unbelievable and the conversations I would not be able to write on here as this review would not get posted.

Check out was poor there machine failed 4 times with my card and 9 times with the chap checking out in front of me he even went of to try calling his bank.

I can not believe the experience I had at this hotel the owners I'm sure really trust these un professionals to run there family business shame on them for taking advantage they should be pleased they have jobs.

Don't waste your money here there are more better hotels around and you won't be subject to what I put up with for 12 hours.

• Stayed February 2012
14 Thank TheInspector09
TheGrangeatOborne, Manager at Best Western Dorset Oborne the Grange Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, but would like to thank you for taking the time to write about the problems you encountered.

When you checked out, you told the member of staff on reception that you did not like the bedroom as it was “old fashioned”. The bedrooms in the original building are of a more traditional style whilst the bedrooms in the newer part of the hotel are more modern. If requested, we are always very happy to reserve specific rooms for guests when they book at the hotel. Just to clarify, the rate of over £100.00 did include dinner.

The problem that you had late at night with the noise was inexcusable; after you telephoned, Jeremy not only turned the music off, but he also asked the guests to move to a different lounge which is not below a hotel bedroom. In future, guests will not be allowed to remain in that area of the hotel late at night, but will instead be asked to move to a different lounge.

Again, I am very sorry about the noise you heard from the kitchen, the chef who was largely responsible for the noise was employed on a temporary contract and is no longer with the hotel for exactly this reason. I have no idea about the comments about the Isle of Wight; the hotel does not pay for staff to take holidays!

The delay at breakfast was regrettable, and I must apologise for this. This was caused by the problem we were experiencing with the telephone lines (it was not the credit card machine that was causing the difficulty but our telephone line). One member of staff spent the majority of the morning trying to process cards as fifteen guests checked out, another was on the telephone to our telecoms provider trying to resolve the problem. This obviously put the staff under a great deal of pressure on that morning and they were unable to give the attention that they would normally like to.

I know that you have visited The Grange before and presumably must have enjoyed your stay otherwise you would not have returned to the hotel on this occasion. As you describe in your review, our normal high standards were unfortunately not present, but I would hope that you could see that this was a one-off, caused by an unfortunate set of circumstances.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Jonathan Fletcher
Milton Keynes
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We booked The Grange due to its location of being just outside Sherborne town centre. We were met by staff who were extremely courteous, friendly and helpful and shown to our room with minimal check-in fuss. Our room overlooked a beautiful garden and was so peaceful. The room was extremely spacious and had a large king size bed. If I am really critical, the room decor including the bathroom could do with an update and a better shower. However, all was clean and definitely worth the price. Taxi in town was only £5 as we were going to a party and wanted the car at the hotel in the morning. The breakfast was delicious and staff could not be more helpful. ALl in all, would stay here again and I am extremely fussy!!

Room Tip: We had room 11 which was very nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank divebuddy99
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from an enjoyable weekend break at the hotel. We had a similar break two years ago almost to the day. The food is very good, the rooms are well appointed and clean and the staff accommodating and friendly. We will return!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Each year we look for a small family run Hotel to see the New Year in and The Grange has been the best yet. Set in beautiful country side the Hotel is clean with a team of friendly and efficient staff all manged perfectly. The food was excellent and I want to go back soon.

Room Tip: We had a superior, you might as well pay the extra for such good value.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Lausanne
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed here for a couple of days for a company conference. The service is great and I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed November 2011
south west
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Booked this hotel after many reccomendations from friends. I thought this hotel was briliant. After a small wedding, we sat by the fire with canapes and champagne. Our room was room 4 with the 4 poster and verranda. It was lovely and quaint. We slept with the patio door open and heard the owls hoot and pheasants cock and the sound of slowly moving water from the water features.We woke to bird song and a romantic misty sky.Breakfast was classy, which complemented our 3 course dinner which was lovely. Many thanks to the staff who were very helpful and chatty and obviously enjoy where they work. The garden was lovely too, i just wish the sun had shined a little, but the real fire and comfy chairs inside compensated for this. If you want to recharge.......do it here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oborne
The Eastbury Hotel
Best Western Weymouth Hotel Rembrandt
Travelodge Wincanton
Travelodge Wincanton
#2 of 2 in Wincanton

Been to Best Western Dorset Oborne the Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!