“Cancelled room week in advance and they still charged”

Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Toledo
“Cancelled room week in advance and they still charged”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Book Hotel for a cheer comp that my daughter was having in November. Booked in mid-October. After reviews and some other comments on from others, decided not to stay here.
Cancelled 11/16/2013 - a week before the competition. Received confirmation of cancellation too!
Open my credit card statement only to see they charged my credit card.
Not a good thing!!!! Since I keep this card to a minimum use only for hotels/car for cheer comps.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Rick D, General Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
First id like to apologize with the stresses that you are having cancelling your reservation. Please provide me your name, and dates of stay, so i can research this for you. I will get this cleared up for you immediately.
Rick Dinan ( rdinan.gptoledo.com ) 419-255-6185

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

Stayed here while in town for business. I typically stay at holiday inns but hit this one on a whim.
It got the job done, bed shower n tv is all I need. The location was great, good restaurant and very friendly staff.
Would stay here again

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Rick D, General Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for your great review. We strive to make each guests stay a pleasurable one. I will definitely share your comments with the staff. We hope you will again choose us on your next trip to Toledo. If I or my staff can be of any other service please just let us know! Happy Holidays!
Davison, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

We just arrived home after a two day stay for a wedding in the Toledo area along with multiple family members. Our group had 4 rooms.

The Good: The rooms were clean. Free wifi that was consistently fast and responsive. The room was pretty big.

The Bad: This is going to be a pretty big list.
1) "Valet" parking. Supposedly you're supposed to pay $16 a night for valet parking. As part of a group, we got a reduced rate but I wouldn't recommend it. They have 2-3 valet workers at any one time, and they got swamped very quickly. I had to go back and forth to the hotel about 6-7 times during my stay. Not once did I actually have a valet get my car. Because it was 20 feet from the door. However, it was a bit nervewracking to see the valet desk itself. They had tons of keys just sitting out and if I had been so inclined I could have walked away with a few nice vehicles. One time when I pulled up, the valet told me to just leave the keys in the car. I chose not to because I legitimately feared having my keys stay in the car all night and that my car might automatically lock, sealing my once set of keys in. They are also in charge of the shuttle bus. We were told 15 minutes max wait when we booked. The one time I actually needed the shuttle it was a 30 minute wait. What they SHOULD do is just convert that area to a VIP lot, charge extra and let people park themselves. It's what ended up happening anyway.

2) The "Bed." The first night we stayed I woke up with back pain due to the incredibly stiff bed. I don't have back problems normally and the bed I sleep on at home isn't a pillow top type bed. This felt like a board. The second night for some reason was better, but I think it was more due to my exhaustion than the bed.

3) Heating - My father in law's room had heating issues. At no point was their room below 76 degrees. They actually had to go out and buy a fan.

4) Misc. Fails.
- Our bath plunger was broken and couldn't be placed in the open position. Fortunately, it came out. Unfortunately, it is one of the mechanical ones designed to be built into the bath so what came out was a mechanical monstrosity rusty and hair covered. Which was great because we were traveling with a 2 year old.
-During some down time (where said two year old and my wife were getting ready for the wedding) my brother in law and I went down to the bar and restaurant. It was closed at 3:30 on a football Saturday.
-Woeful selection of kids networks on TV. They have Nickelodeon and cartoon network only.

The Ugly. (If these were the only things that happened, I wouldn't be posting.)
-Had to call twice to get extra towels because "apparently the housecleaning staff changed shifts."
-Had to go back down to get new key cards because the first batch didn't work.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Marty Z
New Orleans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Had a chance to stay at this hotel two weeks ago and could not have been more satisfied. The front desk was friendly and my room was awesome. Great view, clean and comfortable. Met the GM Rick, he made us all feel right at home. Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Rick D, General Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Grand Plaza Hotel & Suites on your most recent trip to the Toledo Area! We are pleased to see that we were able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to your next visit!
Montecito, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Never thought I'd be back in Toledo so soon. Stayed at this hotel previously for my friend's wedding. When I checked in the girl at the front desk greeted me with a smile and a big "Welcome Back!". That was nice, especially after a long flight from California. They were even able to give me the same room I had before! This was nice because the bed was very comfortable and I slept like a baby, which I needed. If you have to go to Toledo, this is the place to be!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank IronGates
Rick D, General Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for your glowing review! We enjoy being your home away from home, and look forward to your next visit!
Angola, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Don't stay here, don't use the valet parking, and don't eat here.
Our van (and 17 other vehicles) were "broken into"(7 of those, like my van were NEVER locked when the valet ($16 a night) parked our van in an exposed parking lot 3 blocks away.
the hotel manager (Rick) ASSURED my husband and I that the hotel WOULD be liable....he lied. Many items were stolen (google it!) from every vehicle. hotel said it is NOT liable, neither was hotel insurance. IF they would have told me they were NOTgoing to bother locking my vehicle, I would NOT have chosen $16 valet parking(?!) Btw, the open, unattended parking lot you pay $16 to have your vehicle parked-unlocked, also has NO video sir valence (?!?!)
Many many guests were given room keys for OTHER guest's room...not once, but twice
And three times! thankfully, an honest guest was given the room (and key!!!) to a room FILLED with wedding gifts. (That was the third occupied room key/room she was given)!!! attitude at front desk through ALL of this? "meh..."
oh, and (God as my witness...) someone urinated in the pot of "help yourself buffet"
Oatmeal. the waitress confirmed it. the attitude of management about that?
Yup, you guessed it: "meh"
this hotel recently changed it's name again. Police in the area can't keep up with the name changes...it happens so often.
Run. don't walk. This place is a nightmare.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank elache
Akron, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Went to a convention there this weekend and all the problems with the hotel actually distracted from the event! First, there was a forty minute wait to get to valet (had to wait in the road). Then there were no rooms available so a majority of convention members had to check bags (Ok- we understand it isn't the 3pm time they said they would be ready-- it would have been nice if they told us instead of making us wait in line for twenty minutes only to be told there were no rooms). Went back to convention with intent of trying to get room at break. Break comes and the line is out the door to check into rooms. Still no rooms available so we go back to convention. At the 45 minute break before the last event before dinner, get back in line only to be told our rooms are still not ready (at this point it is 6pm). Had to get out of line (after 45 minutes) to attend last event of the day. Come back and wait 20 more minutes to finally get room! Yay! but wait. The keys didn't work. Came back down to the desk from the 7th floor to get two new keys that also didn't work. Three keys later, finally got into the room (it's about 7:15 pm now and dinner started at 7). Noticed that the lights were all on in the room but quickly went down to dinner. Got down to the ballroom for dinner and got served terrible food (wilted salad and stale rolls to start and then a cold and under cooked main course). Left dinner after eating only a few bites and went back up to room. Room was reasonably sized but had a lot of problems. The main door had to be slammed to shut, bathroom door latch was broken so door didn't stay shut, there were cracked tiles on the floor in the bathroom and entry area, the heat/AC was broken (whole unit was coming off of the wall), nothing was plugged in (coffee pot, alarm clock, lamps), smelled like a toilet (even though the bathroom had not been used yet, and the TV didn't work. There was mold in the bathtub and sink and floors in the bathroom and bed areas didn't appear to have been cleaned at all. I decided to walk downstairs to talk to people at the front desk, only to find out that there are no stairs that go to the lobby. Walked down as far as I could before having to wander through the hotel to find elevators.The stairs were very dirty and damp with a horrible odor of must and mold. The lights were flickering like they were out of a horror movie. After getting nowhere with the staff in the lobby, I made my way back upstairs for a terribly long and cold night. The next morning I skipped the breakfast line (very expensive and not good looking). The convention continued. At lunch time tables were put up outside the ballroom with our boxed lunches (or rather the boxed lunches of half of the convention members). The other half of the convention had to wait another 20 minutes for the rest of the boxed lunches to be brought from the back. The staff had given the OK for us to come to lunch (even 15 minutes later than planned) and they still were not prepared for the approximately 300 people in attendance. We got the lunches and started eating. They were OK at best. Stale pasta salad and stale/expired chips. EXPIRED CHIPS. Not acceptable. Finished another meal after eating only a few bites. Cookies were also given later, but they were half baked and all melting together. Not professional at all. Finished convention and checked out (which was the easiest part). Then had to wait 35 minutes for valet to get my car (which was parked who knows where so I couldn’t just get it myself). Overall this “convention center” is a joke. They were in no way prepared to host a convention and a relatively small one at that! The entire place appeared out of date and lacking in maintenance. The ballroom had many burned out light bulbs and appeared unprofessional.
I would never ever stay at this hotel again. It was so terrible that it was comical. Something out of a cartoon, not real life. But it happened. And I can’t get that time back. I will never recommend this hotel to anyone.

2 Thank ToledoNoMore1123
I am very sorry to read that we did not meet with your expectations during your most recent trip to toledo for your Convention. Our goal is always guest satisfaction. There were a few challenges during your groups convention, and we have made adjustments to the bills of all overnight guests.
We hope you will give us a chance to show you that your experience was definitly the exception not the norm here at the Grand Plaza. On top of the discount you received, you will also have a letter coming to you with a bounce back coupon. We hope you will give us another chance!