“Drive .. as fast as u can... somewhere else.”

Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Toledo
Orchard Park, New York, United States
“Drive .. as fast as u can... somewhere else.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

OMG, this hotel is not only gross, quality wise. But, the customer service/ hospitality is sub par. Oh, they are very polite- dont get me wrong... but, if you need to get something done, forget it.
This hotel charged my sons debit card in error, they had my husband CC on file. To not bore you with my pain, I have spent 6 mornings on the phone with the people at this hotel and my bank trying to reverse a debit charge. No one can make an executive decision here!!! I have never seen a more inept management group...ever! I worked in the pharmacuetical business for 20 years and have stayed at plenty of hotels! These people either just dont "CARE" or they are too stupid to know any better! Still waiting for my refund and an apology! Wende Marracino

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Wende M
GabbyBatonRouge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Ms. M:

We are so sorry for the confusion your mentioned in your review. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback so that we can work with our team to provide the very best in service EVERY time. I understand that our team has reached out and this mix-up has been resolved at the time of this response. We hope that you will give us a second chance. Your opinion matters greatly and we ask that you do let us know in advance of your return to the area so we may triple check all is correct.

Best travels to you and your family,
Your Hotel Team

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Back for a two night stay - our second this year. The location is great. Nice views of the Maumee River and easy access to downtown, I-75, etc. Staff are pleasant and friendly. Room service breakfast was good and delivered on time.

Valet operation was very efficient and friendly. I inadvertently left my iPad in my car when returning to the hotel after dinner one night. By the time I figured it out, my car had been returned to the garage. I asked the valet attendant if they could retrieve the iPad, he took my room number and 15 minutes later he knocked on my door with the iPad apologizing for taking so long! That was unexpected and great service.

Now, for the rest of the story. After arriving, we checked in and headed to our room only to find it reeking of smoke. Surprising since I understand this to be a no smoking hotel and we had been required to agree to pay a big fine if we decided to smoke in the room. We were fairly quickly moved to another room on the same floor.

Going back and forth between the rooms and the lobby gave me my first taste of the elevators. I will simply say that they are horrible. They require a room key to operate but the keys don't work all the time. The elevators are slow and clunky and often don't stop on designated floors. They are in serious need of a tune up.

The in room wireless is bad. When it works, it is slow and unreliable. When it doesn't work, well it doesn't work and that's not acceptable. I mentioned this to the lady at the front desk this morning. She didn't seem surprised and started trying to convince me that it is my computer. I told her that my computer traveled extensively without wireless issues so I doubted that was the case. She said she'd send somebody up to the room to check it out. In fairness, the wireless worked better after that but we're talking about improvement from horrible to marginal.

Soda machines and ice machines missing on some floors and not working on others. As a result of that and the elevator challenges, ffnding a soda this morning was a bit more of a challenge than one might expect.

Bathrooms are cramped and dingy due to poor lighting. There is an exhaust fan but now switch to activate it.

When I return to Toledo I might stay here again due to the lack of choices. I do hope though that some of these areas are improved between now and then.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GabbyBatonRouge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest: Sounds like we started off earning your business and slipped as your stay went on. We truly desire to make each guest visit the very best it can be and take your comments seriously. We will use this information when coaching our staff and making property evaluations. We do hope you will return and see for yourself the improvements being made along the way.
Safe Travels,
Your Hotel Team
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We arrived late fri night, after driving a couple hrs unable to find a vacant room. Valets were handling a leaving wedding party besides incoming guests and were fast and efficient. We got two adjoining rooms on the 11th floor that looked like they had been recently updated with great views of the river and downtown area. The rooms were mostly clean... Got water in the coffee mugs provided and some kind of scum was floating in it. The bathroom looked like it hadnt been cleaned after the last resident, only set up. There was smudges on the small facial mirror and decorative one in the hallway. There was trash on the bathroom floor from last guest. Beds were comfortable. Went to the buffet breakfast which provided a wide variety to choose from. Service was ok, but $11 seemed steep for the buffet. Shuttle to take us to our truck was slow for a sat morning, and since we had things in the back of the truck, didnt like that parking was in a lot blocks away from the supervised hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
DOSToledo, Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear Love2travelx7,

Thank you for your review and please accept our apologies for the unsatisfactory accommodations you experienced during your recent visit to Toledo. It is our intention to provide a superior atmosphere for our guests and it is clear we let you down. Your comments have been shared with our Executive Housekeeper to review our cleanliness standards with the housekeeping staff. Our parking services were hindered during your stay due to street closures issued by the City of Toledo and also apologize for the delay in our shuttle transporting you to your truck. We hope that when you return to the Toledo area you will choose the Best Western Premier Grand Plaza so that we deliver on our promise to exceed your expectations!
Langley City, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

There are only 2 hotels in the Downtown area of Toledo, and I've been told this is the better of the 2. It's clean, and the staff friendly, however the hotel lacks something. We had to change our room 4 times in 3 days due to different circumstances, none of which we were compensated for. The manager told us we would get a 2 night credit - which we never did. The parking is a rip off at $16.00 a day. You can park in the parking structure across the street for $8.00/day. The lighting in the bathrooms is terrible. Had to take the shades off to see properly. Fifth Third ball park is about a 10 minute walk, which is ok - pretty good location which is why we were there in the first place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lennertons
Dear Lennertons,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. Apologies are seldom an excuse when poor service is delivered, but I hope you will accept ours in the spirit in which it is delivered. If you have not received the 2 night credit, as promised by our Manager; I hope that you will contact me via e-mail at dos@bwtoledo.com and I will make sure that a 2-night credit is issued to you. I hope that you will give us another chance to prove to you that the Best Western Premier Grand Plaza Toledo is the BEST hotel in downtown Toledo!
Toledo, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel has been through some ownership changes over the last few years, and they've got it right now. Rooms nicely refurbished and updated. Staff friendly and accommodating. Great value for the money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Robert P
Dear Robert P,

Thank you for your support and we appreciate your kind comments. We are excited about the changes taking place at the Best Western Premier Grand Plaza. We have a new General Manager, new Rooms Division Manager, new Executive Chef and many more wonderful team members joining us to make sure we provide the great service our guests deserve. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Toledo area!
Belleville, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Seems like it was lacking someone in charge, staff was nice but not enough of them understaffed,huge place with nothing in it, you walk around and have to find out things for yourself, go in the aqua lounge and no one around, place has nothing. That's why you see people with coolers,no vending machines even and not that clean,run down. Lightening bad in rooms,toilet ran and air very loud. Needs to update,very disappointed,plus even with discounts high price for nothing! I recommend find someplace else, or throw your money away!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Sharon E,

Thank you for your review and comments. It is very clear that we did not provide you with the experience you were hoping for during your visit to the Best Western Premier Grand Plaza. Your comments are appreciated as we are striving to enhance the overall guest experience in downtown Toledo. I hope that you will contact me at dos@bwtoledo.com so that I might be able to share one of our new Toledo packages with you, in hopes that the next time you venture to the Toldedo area, you will choose the Best Western Premier Grand Plaza Hotel.
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was extremely displeased with this hotel. The staff,however, was very helpful and friendly. The conditions of this hotel are terrible,though. The shower had mold all around it. The staff did everything they could to resolveit.But, this hotel has not been well maintained and there is nothing the staff can do to resolve this without major investments in renovation in this hotel. The chair in the room had numerous stains. The bed was dirty. Best Western must have very low standards for a Premier hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank david L
Dear David L,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. We are proud to be a member of the Best Western Premier family of hotels. We are in the final phases of a complete hotel renovation/upgrade and are sorry that you experienced such poor accommodations. I can promise you that if you choose to stay with us during your next visit to the Toledo area, you will be pleased with your surroundings. Feel free to contact me at dos@bwtoledo.com to make your future reservation and I would be happy to provide you with a complimentary upgrade.