“Pretty Nice”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Toledo
Indiana
“Pretty Nice”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Stayed a few times at the Grand Plaza Hotel in Toledo - nice place to stay. Accommodating and kind staff in my experiences. Would stay again

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank BuenosNachos2

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 15, 2012

OK,

Referring to the lady from Cincinnati two reviews below me. I have stayed here over the past 3-4 weeks on business, staying several nights each time.

Yes, the security elevator is a bit of a pain, you must insert your room key to get the elevator to work, but really now, trapped? Isn't that a little harsh?

No place to eat? What about the restaurant downstairs?

There has to be 20 restaurants within 2-3 miles of the hotel. Did you not notice the baseball stadium 3 blocks away? It's surrounded by pubs, restaurants, etc. There are several restaurants right on the main street the hotel is located on, Summitt. What about Georgio's, a white linen dining experience no more than 3 blocks from the hotel, very walkable. Tony Packos Cafe, the famous restaurant from MASH, was a short trip over the bridge. Did you bother to ask anyone?

An hour to find breakfast? In an hour you would have been a good part of the way back to Cincinnati. As noted, there is a breakfast buffett in a dining room that overlooks the river and two breakfast/lunch delis right across the street from the hotel, Foccacia's and Mo Joes. Fifteen minutes by car is Perrysburg or Maumee, a ton of great restaurants and walkable, historic downtowns.

Toledo hasn't been as fortunate as some cities have been economically, they relied on industry which is just starting to come back. There are some rough edges to be sure, not every city is as pretty as Cincinnati's downtown is. That said, if everywhere I went was exactly the same, things would be pretty boring.

The hotel will be re-badged shortly, turning into a Sheraton I was told. Things should pick up some. Yes, some of the front desk people were pleasant, one was a jerk. This could happen anywhere.

If you flame people on TripAdvisor that's OK. Maybe you should use TripAdvisor to check out the places you are going to first. It could have prevented a miserable weekend for you and I'm certain, your husband also.

3 Thank JoeyG
Findlay, Ohio
Reviewed June 7, 2012

There are lots of goods and a few beds with this downtown hotel that overlooks the river and has fairly elegant facilities. Certainly one of the most positive things was the service attitude of everybody from the front desk to the banquet staff.
The rooms are generally well appointed, clean, and promptly made up but – – the architect must've been a very short individual because the bathroom counter would force even a petite lady to bend over in order to use it. The Rooms are nice but they are certainly small.
Two negatives that stand out. One is the security system on the elevator which requires the insertion of the key card to select any floor. That may be fine from the lobby up but it certainly is a pain when navigating floors within the hotel. Another real negative is the parking situation. It is hotel staff only parking and it takes about 20 to 30 min. to retrieve your car even on a non-busy day.

The truly need to evaluate their security system and determine whether the elevator needs to be quite so secure. They need to find a way to parked cars any convenient nearby garage and to offer alternatives.
Their food service is limited at the very best. Breakfast is a buffet and dinner struggles unfortunately there's very little in the way of food service alternatives in this downtown area the you can shuttle over to the brand-new casino.

Cincinnati
Reviewed June 6, 2012

The visit started with the front desk telling my husband that they couldn't honor the "tax exempt" status (with the document in hand) of his business. From there, it all went down-hill.
My husband finally ended up suggesting that they cancel the original reservation and start all over with the tax-exempt status (which was requested when the original reservation was made). This seemed to work and we ended up with a room with 2 double beds instead of the king bed that we originally had. Why the change in beds happened is beyond me, since we had been told that when the original reservation was made, it was the last room in the hotel. Obviously it was not the last room, or they had given our original room to someone else.
We first were trapped in an elevator trying to get to our room. Then we found out that there was no place to eat in the hotel at all....nothing.
No booklet about the hotel policies or guides to the city. Guess the staff at this downtown hotel expects all of the guests to be from the immediate area and we all know where to get something to eat.
There are supposed to be pools. Have absolutely no idea if they exist or not.
Finding a place to eat was an adventure in Toledo. We drove miles and miles to end up finding a half decent neighborhood with an Irish Pub and Grub. That was also a huge mistake. Won't bore you with the problems there.
I'm now back in the room, hungry, no place to get anything else decent to eat that I know about.
My husband left for an hour to scout around the city to at least find someplace that would have breakfast food. He supposedly found a place within walking distance, but that remains to be seen tomorrow morning when I try to get breakfast there.
If I sound miserable, I am. Some of the hotel is nice and clean. Some is disgustingly filthy (like the elevators).
The staff is unobliging unless it is simple requests as where the stairs are instead of being trapped in an elevator. By the way, the stairs are also disgustingly filthy.
Read an earlier review about no air conditioning. I'm here to say that not only is there air conditioning, but you can't warm the rooms up after the silly staff sets all the rooms below 65 degrees.
The parking valets did the same thing in our SUV. The airconditioning in the car was cranked up to max when they brought our car around for us. They will be instructed not to waste our fuel, especially since the temp outside is in the high 60s.
Sorry, but Toledo is probably the last place I want to ever come back to thanks to this "hotel".

2 Thank KCmusiclady
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I have stayed here many times for business, since it was the Crowne Plaza.

It has obviously lost that affiliation, and I can asssure you the quality of the property has continued on a steady decline.

There has not been a single trip (and business takes me here more than once a month) where there has not been some kind of problem. The Heat and Air Conditioning systems are a constant issue. It's either 85 and stuffy or 60 and freezing. There seems to be no middle ground.

Housekeeping has deteriorated, and the employees are constatntly complaining of management's refusal to adequately staff or support the employees that ARE here, all of which is very evident.

It is still not a BAD place to stay, mind you. Just don't expect the elegance or level of service that was provided here a short while ago under the Crowne Plaza brand. Although prices have not fallen along with the deteriorating quality.....

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We checked in for one night on a Sunday evening in early May. There seemed to be only a few people staying in the entire high rise hotel. It gave me a rather creepy feeling. It was also odd that we required to surrender our car for valet parking even though the parking lot was empty. And even though the hotel was nearly empty, the man at the front desk seemed ill-equipped. The highlight - the young valet - he drove us and picked us up from Tony Packo's restaurant made famous by Corporal Klinger of the series MASH. Seems like the entire property needs a face lift.

We are heading back through Toledo in June. I'm looking for a new hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Auburn Hills, Michigan
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Booked on-line for $100/per night so got a huge savings, and maybe that's why I was treated so poorly. Total should have been $307.00 plus tax, and $50 incidental fee plus $16/day for parking which is obsurbed, but I was aware prior to booking, not to mention no charges until the end of your stay.

When I arrived (day 1), I was immediately charged $496. When I asked them, they told me it was my stay, and $50/day for incidentals. After going back and fourth for 30 minutes, the manager still insisted I wasn't charged anything. She refunded me $100 of which I haven't seen yet, and I thought it was resolved.

Got up the next day to find another $66 charge on my account, now I'm at $562 in charges. I called the bank first, and they couldn't understand why I was being charged so much, and couldn't unauthorize anything. I them called the third party subsidiary to try and get clarification, and was told they shouldn't have charged anything or charged a deposit, and my total should be $396.

I tried transferring out of the hotel without paying anything extra, but no luck.

In the end, the manager of the hotel continued to say my account wasn't affected, the $66 was my balance, and I still have a balance of $123 to be paid. I have $300 left to enjoy two more days of my stay:(

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toledo
Park Inn Toledo
Park Inn Toledo
#8 of 17 in Toledo
Radisson at The University of Toledo
Hampton Inn & Suites Toledo/Westgate
Hampton Inn Toledo / Oregon
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Toledo West
Hampton Inn and Suites Toledo-North

Been to Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!