“Beware of bed bugs”

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Toledo
Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Beware of bed bugs”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

Stayed at this hotel in June and on second night woke up with bed bug bites galore. Had to go to the hospital for a shot of an anti-inflamatory. They said their insurance would pay for the hospital bill, however, my insurance paid. Then they gave us a bill for the whole amount of 3 nights. Later they agreed to comp us for 2 nights. It was last Wednesday and I have been miserable ever since. They told us to leave the room and gave us another room across the hall, but did not make any recommendations for how to be sure to avoid bringing the bugs with us. Unfortunately, some hitchhiked home with me and now I have to call an exterminator and have been living on benedryl and using caladryl every few hours.

In their favor, I will say their restaurant served excellent food.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelingforpoints
ramadabrandon, Manager at Toledo Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 19, 2010
While no one wishes to encounter what this guest has, it is important to understand that bed bugs are not a cleanliness issue. All around the United States, particularly in urban areas, bed bugs are spreading quickly. For example, New York City has seen complaints of bed bugs rise and grow almost twofold over the previous year. Several cities have adopted Task Forces to deal with this issue. We have kept this guests room on close monitoring and will continue to do so over the next several days, weeks and months. Our pest control company has assured us that we do not have an infestation. We have heard from several guests that friends or family members have gotten bed bugs or heard of others getting bed bugs from airplanes, airports, buses, trains travel stations, apartments, homes and other various locations and it has become an increasing problem throughout the US, in various industries not only of hotels. Do to the research and classes we have gone through to prevent these types of issues, we have very strict measures of checking rooms to help diagnose if another guest has brought bed bugs into the hotel so future guests don't have issues and proper elimination takes place. Unfortunatly it is a growing problem and bed bugs can latch on to clothing, luggage and more in an instance and can harvest for quit awhile.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Rochester Hills, MI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2010

The choice of this hotel was predetermined by my daughter's soccer club for a weekend tournament. After reading the reviews here, I had hoped that, perhaps, people were over exaggerating their experiences. For the most part everyone is correct.

The Room: Our room, wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. We stayed in a King room on the first floor at the back of the building. Upon entering, the room had a strange odor, kind of like old fried food. The bed was clean and comfortable with plenty of fluffy pillows. We had to rearrange the room in order to fit the two twin air mattresses we brought along with us. The carpeting seemed a little grimy, I'm glad we brought those along. The bathroom was a bit dated, the bath drain was rusty. It wasn't that clean - there was a spider in a web in the corner. The television was OK, it would have been nice to have a channel listing so that the kids didn't have to click through the channels to find the kid stations, while seeing things on tv I'd rather they not see. The walls are very thin, and while I know that the hotel cannot control the neighbors we had, just be prepared.

The First Floor Hallways: Our room was at the very end of the building. To walk to the lobby or pool we had to take one of two long hallways. The south hallway was ok. The north hallway, right after we passed through the first door had an overpowering urine smell. We tried to avoid this hallway as much as we could, however the southern hallway contains all of the conference rooms which were all occupied by another large group of people.

The Pool: First of all, the pool shares an atrium with what looks like a reception hall. It's very pretty looking, but it seemed like they closed the pool at odd hours (1 - 3 pm on a weekend) for events. The pool area itself is disgustingly dirty. The flooring is like textured stone, the water never dries, and then the puddles collect dirt. At first glance, it looks like the floor had coloring to make it look like stones or something, it wasn't until I stepped into a puddle and saw the clouds of dirt pluming away from my shoe that I realized it wasn't supposed to look like that. It was just grimy and gross.

The hotel had booked two very large groups over this past weekend, our soccer club and another large church conference. We did not have a problem with our room, however, friends had no working air conditioning and the hotel ran out of fans. Extra anything seemed to be in short supply.

We also understood that our club would have a team room to meet in and because of this other group that was booked we ending up getting 3 easels in the lobby. The crowds in the lobby at times were VERY overwhelming - they just didn't have the space for everyone.

Normally, we spend little time in our hotel rooms when traveling. However, due to the nature of our trip, there were many hours in between games where we needed to spend down time in the room or lobby, and we got quite familiar with this hotel. It's located near a lot of restaurants and shopping malls. Right off the parking lot is a nice park with benches - no playground - but it has lots of tall trees to sit under.

Also be aware that this is a PET FRIENDLY hotel.

I really don't think I'd recommend this hotel to anyone, it's seen better days.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
ramadabrandon, Manager at Toledo Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 22, 2010
While cleanliness is always an issue, I would like to apologize for the pool area not being as clean as it should have been. During your stay, as you know, many kids were using the pool after coming directly from outside activities. This could be why the pool floor was not as clean as it should be, and we are looking hard at solutions to remedy this issue when our pool area is very busy.
It is unfortunate that your group was unable to use our meeting space, another group that was staying with us had contracted all space before your group had the chance to do so. This is also on our radar to better accommodate all of our groups that may be staying with us.
If you should have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Brandon West
Front Office Manager
Dayton, OH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2010

The only thing that's nice about this hotel is the lobby - it's run down and filthy. The carpet and walls in the hall are worn and absolutely filthy. The rooms are just as bad - the tv remote didn't work, marks on the walls, filthy window treatments. Really disgusting. It would have been a poor value at half the price. Add a worn, uncomfortable bed and YUCK. I wouldn't take my socks off.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2010

I booked this room because I had a conference here with my employee. I thought that since the conference was there it would be nice. I was soooooo wrong. The lobby is decent and really throws you off when you get to your room. We walked down the hall to our room and it had a terrible odor... the paint was scuffed up and ripped... it looked like a hall way in on of the Freddy Krueger movies. Opened up the door to the room and the smell was even worse... there was blood on the floor.. there was crust in the coffee pot..... it was load from the freeway traffic it was the worst hotel I had ever stayed at in my life! I do not recommend ever staying there!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
pittsburgh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

The people who work here are very, very nice, but this place needs to be gutted and rebuilt. The rugs are filthy and haven't been cleaned in decades. The hallway wallpaper is torn and dirty. The AC/heating unit in our room sounded like a jet engine. I know that when you spend $70/night you can't expect much, but I've been to kennels that are cleaner than this place, and those were not even nice kennels. The food at the breakfast buffet looked like it was cooked weeks before, and not surprisingly no one was in there eating it. Our beds didn't even get made up until 530pm in the afternoon, and that was after 2 phone calls to complain.

Generally I am open-minded about inexpensive hotels, but this place is simply awful. It's out of a horror movie. I was there for a hockey tournament, and I noticed a lot of people who checked in the same time I did left as soon as they could and went somewhere else. I probably should have done the same.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2010

My family and I drove here from Michigan to stay while visiting some friends. They recommended staying here. I was really worried about staying here after reading the reviews from previous customers, but found the complete opposite experience. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were very clean, and comfortable. The bathrooms were clean and had fresh towels. My family spent many hours at the pool, very clean. The free wireless internet was a very nice thing, most places I go stay at you have to pay big money for it. The breakfast buffet was a very nice one, along with Crystals. Very good food, and relatively cheap. For the price you can't beat it. I'd say a 5 star hotel. I will stay next time while visiting my friends, and would recommend to everyone how great an experience it was.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2010

My husband and I flew in from Las Vegas to visit his family. We chose the hotel based on room rates, location to his family, and a family recommendation. I was worried about the reviews I read on this site prior to going there, but found them extremely exaggerated. Upon arriving we were greeted by very friendly staff. Our room was clean and comfortable. I spent a lot of time at the indoor pool, which was clean and larger than I expected. We ate twice at Crystals, both times it was pleasant, the food was great, and the staff very friendly. The breakfast buffet was excellent! They also have an exercise room, unfortunately I felt that since I was on vacation, I didn't have to use it. I live in Las Vegas, and stay at a lot of hotels, and GREATLY appreciate the fact that they have free wireless internet. It's unheard of at some of the larger Las Vegas hotels. I'm actually surprised we didn't find this place earlier. When we visit in the future, we will definitely stay here.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple