“Noisy and in need of renovations” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Toledo Hotel and Conference Center

Toledo Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Toledo
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Noisy and in need of renovations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2008

Overall, this hotel is outdated and poorly maintained. It is a really depressing place. The lobby area looks nice, but that's about it.

If you decide to book a stay in this hotel, you need to request a room that is nowhere near the pool/center court area. This hotel regularly has weddings, family reunions, and other events going on in that area, and they absolutely REFUSE to regulate the sound level in any way. I've stayed there four times, and it's always the same. Usually there's a DJ blasting music via loudspeakers. It is incredibly loud, and there is almost no noise insulation to protect the surrounding guest rooms from having to hear it.

In addition, the owner of this hotel needs to make a serious investment in the guest rooms. Our room on the 2nd floor was threadbare and grungy, and in the bathroom, three ceiling tiles were stained brown and soaking wet-- indicating a major leak coming from the bathroom above. The dirty water from above had soaked onto our bath towels. It was obvious the leak had been there for quite some time, yet had never been addressed.

You'd think the front desk would make some kind of accomodation-- such as a discount off our rate-- but when we told them about it, their only solution was to move us to a different room-- not very helpful since we were checking out that day.

And, as was the case the previous times I stayed there, the hallways were filled with kids running around and screaming. This hotel is popular with youth groups, schools, family reunions, and the like. Of course, badly behaved kids aren't the fault of the hotel-- just beware, and bring your earplugs!

I've given the Clarion Westgate enough chances-- I've seen no improvements in its operations over the past few years. I'll stay elsewhere from now on.

• Liked — When I checked out
  • Disliked — Dirty bathroom water from the room above ours, soaking into our ceiling.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Poolgirl7705

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Detroit
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2008

We have stayed at this hotel once a year for the past 5 years. We venture to Toledo for a bowling tournament and our friends all stay there as well. Everything was fine until our stays last year and this year. Last year, we made the reservation more than a month in advance and supplied a credit card to hold the room. When we arrived at 3 pm (their posted check-in time), we were informed (as well as another couple we were with) that they had no rooms to give us. It took almost 2 hours for our friend to complain enough for them to give us rooms, and a discount. This year, we didn't have any problems checking in, but at 3:30 am, someone slipped their keycard into the lock on our door and tried to enter the room. As soon as I could get my robe on, I opened the door and looked out, and a few doors down, there was someone standing there whom I asked "Did you just see someone try and get into this room?" and he replied that it was housekeeping. There were no towels in the pool area and it was a mess. Also, the bed in the room was as hard as a rock. On the positive side, they give us a good rate, and our room this year had a microwave and refrigerator (which we didn't request, but were happy to have).

• Stayed April 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2008

When I travel with more than 50 students, around 10 adult chaperones/coaches and need to book more than 20 rooms, if things aren't done right there can be major problems.

THE GOOD: The hotel offers a significantly discounted group rate ($75 per room, plus applicable taxes!) This is highly reasonable considering the overall quality offered by the property, especially in the 'common' areas.

The lobby, restaurant, bar area, and banquet room are all excellent, but the staff always makes the hotel experience, and the Clarion Westgate is no different. From booking to departure, the Clarion staff absolutely bent over backwards to make my experience as a head coach a pleasant one.

When I arrived with our two school busses full of students and coaches, the hotel had all of the keys ready to go, with pre-printed labels affixed to each one with the student names I had provided on a room list earlier in the week. No hotel has ever done that for me before and it made check-in a 5 minute job instead of a 45-minute job. WONDERFUL. This was even more impressive because of the fact that there were multiple schools staying on site and the hotel was obviously juggling multiple group reservations at once.

THE BAD: Many properties in Northwestern Ohio suffer from an aging problem, and this Clarion is no different - hence some extensive (and badly needed) remodeling that is evident in the guest rooms. My room was newly-remodeled, with new carpeting, tile, and bathroom enhancements (and new furniture). Other rooms in our group reservation were not, so buyer beware.

Additionally, the elevator (there is only one that I know of) is extremely slow... taking the stairs was the best option, and the stairwell was dark, unsafe, and contained a mixture of unpleasant odors. Worn carpeting and overall tired appearance of the internal corridors was evident.

THE VERDICT: Probably not an amazing vacation hotel, but definitely above average for the group stay I was a part of. I have recommended this hotel to other speech and debate teams, and a number of us plan to stay here for the foreseeable future for our annual trip to the area.

• Liked — Quality and helpfulness of hotel staff / overall quality for the price
  • Disliked — Continuing need for remodeled guest accommodations / internal corridors
  • Stayed January 2008
2 Thank StuphMan
cleveland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2008

Why would a hotel allow noisy functions to be booked in an accousticallyy challenged indoor courtyard that is adjacent to many of the rooms? Answer - because they don't care about your visit! HELLO...don't they realize we went there to SLEEP? Hey, get a clue - there are beds in the rooms!

It's just unconscionable that they would do this at place where people expect peace and quiet. They should lose their license.

The night that I was there was living hell. My daughters had finally gotten to sleep after fussing about the noise. Then it got worse, reverberating around the courtyard, rising and falling as if to produce its own wicked melody. I was laying there, physically exhausted from the day, in this tortue of a noise chamber. GAAAAAAA! *%$^&!!!

• Liked — Leaving it!
  • Disliked — Their stupidity!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank craif
toledo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2008

i actually did not stay at the hotel yet but last night (01/03/08) to check out the rates and some of the hotel info for a stay for my family in the next couple weeks. when i walked in the fire alarm was going off but the front desk insured me to stay calm and everything was ok. someone must have pulled it. anyways while i was midsentence with the two front desk clerks some guy comes behind the desk and starts yelling at the girls "wheres the radio?!" over and over again interrupting me while she is trying to help me. this was very rude and the front desk agents appoligized and seemed very embarrassed by the man. i asked who he was and they said he was the food and beverage manager tim something. what? a manager? he was very rude not only to me the guest but also to the girls working the desk. needless to say there was no fire and that was taken care of quickly, i think that manager tim shouldnt act like that in front of guests if at all. i feel bad for the people who have to work with him. but.... i will be booking a room for my family and i might stay with them too! the hotel looks great!

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank stayinthere01
columbus
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2007

gave it another try and the first room was supposed to be non smokeing but reaked of smoke. moved to another room and there was no hot water. the third room temp never went below 85 degrees (felt like we were at the equater). .In spite of all the problems..the staff was very nice, but don't think i will stay here agian.

• Liked — front desk people wer efriendly
  • Disliked — did not aacomodate us..poor management
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank ColumbusZeus
Muncie, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2007

First time at this hotel,and we used our "choice rewards points" which made the hotel free for the night. We had read both good and bad about the hotel but we found everything to be great. Unlike "Priceline" we were treated like guests even though we were not actually cash customers. I had read the hotel was currently under renovation so I asked for (and received) a renovated room. It was spotless clean and very comfortable. The desk clerk and staff were extremely friendly. We had a king non-smoking room .. which had all the amenties we could have asked for although I usually like an extra pillow or two .. not complaining because I chose not to request any. Buffet breakfast at their restaurant was excellent as well and a great bargain at $5.99 .. hotcakes, sausage , bacon, biscuits/gravy, eggs, make your own waffles, hash browns, home fries, donuts/rolls and fruit .. everything was fresh and hot. Once again, all waitresses and hostress were extremely friendly.
We will definitely stay here again when in the area.

• Liked — Lounge and Restaurant in house.
  • Disliked — No extra pillows in the room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple