“Wonderful restaurant, good break from the 'big box' experience”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ahmed's Family Cafe
Ranked #240 of 698 Restaurants in Toledo
Cuisines: Diner
Littleton, Colorado
“Wonderful restaurant, good break from the 'big box' experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were in town for my daughter's orientation at UT and were looking for a place to get a nice meal not far from our hotel in North Toledo. I decided I wanted steak and did a search for steak restaurants close to our hotel and Ahmed's popped up. We were interested as it wasn't your standard Applebee's type restaurant so we popped in at 7:30pm on a Friday night.

Very small place but charming inside with a very down to Earth staff. We had to wait only 15 minutes for a table for 4 and only 2-3 other groups waiting with us. We were greeted promptly and our drink orders taken.

We all got some form of steak except my daughter who got fish but the food tasted excellent. Steaks were not prepared perfect but sometimes you get that with steak however.

Service was fast all around and friendly and the manager or owner even stopped by for a quick visit which is always nice.

Only major drawback is they serve pita and crackers with butter. Seems like a very strange combination there. Shell out a few bucks for some olive oil or something that goes better with pita ok? Or ditch the pita and get a bread that goes with butter, your choice!

• Visited June 2013

Milan, Michigan
“This is now River Diner ... and it's good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Went here with a group of friends recently and Ahmed's is now the River Diner (I assume new ownership?). Anyway, this is definitely a great place for good diner/coney/Mediterranean-style food. The prices are low and the portions are generous! They serve large, delicious breakfasts at any time, good hummus and pita (though I prefer mine a bit more garlicky), and gyros and related Greek-style dishes. There were 9 of us and we all loved what we got. Go to the website and download their monthly coupons for even more savings. The best thing I got, to-go because I was stuffed, was the homemade cherry cheesecake. OMG... it was awesome -- a big slice, light and fluffy with a thick graham crust, and a few cherries. Different from other cheesecakes I've tried in it's airy lightness... must be low cal, right? Not!

I also give a shout out to the wait staff. We were a big group who hadn't seen each other in ages so we were loud and giggly! Our server gave us separate checks, sorted out the coupons, and dealt with our indecision and last-minute changes like a champ.

Note: there is also the original River Diner at 2040 Ottawa River Rd. Toledo, Ohio 43611. They share the same web site and coupons. If you're meeting someone, make sure you verify which one you're going to! I almost drove to the wrong location!

• Visited May 2013