“Adequate Hotel -”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Toledo
Dallas, TX
“Adequate Hotel -”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights. Hotel is fine and near the area of Toledo we visit when we go to see family. It's nothing special, but not much around there is...but it seemed clean - a little worn though- and the last morning a spider was climbing up the bed! Towels and wash cloths felt like sandpaper - they were not of a very good quality.. Room was small, but we were not in the room much, so that didn't matter. On the plus side, the hotel has free parking and wi-fi. There is also free breakfast - bagels, juice, etc. They had a fresh waffle maker and they had frozen microwave sandwiches you could microwave. If you want a cooked breakfast, there is a Bob Evans Restaurant at the end of the street. Not our typical type of hotel, but when we go Toledo, there's nothing much else in that area.

Room Tip: I asked for a refrigerator and were given a room that had one at no additional charge.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank theneecesDallas_TX

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We always stay at Marriott when we can because they are generally the same so we know what to expect. This unfortunately was not. I read reviews on another site instead of tripadvisor and now wish I had not trusted their positive reviews.

First, on the positive side, the young man at the front desk was very friendly. The issues that arose were probably all out of his control, but he did help with small things.

But....upon checking in we were given a choice of first or second floor. I said second is probably quieter, so we will take it. What I didn't know is the hotel had a large group of teenage boys staying right down the hall. They ran up and down the hall both nights we were there. Just as I was going to the phone to complain, a guest from the first floor came up SCREAMING at them. Apparently it is even louder to those below. Those boys made sleep impossible until they finally slept. We wish the hotel would have placed them on the first floor to help reduce the noise significantly because of the thin walls and floors.

Second, and even worse....upon entering the room we smelled stale smoke as well as a horrible musty smell. We asked for a different room but the desk said they had cleaned curtains and carpets and they were all that way. The odor from the air conditioning was so bad we couldnt use it. In the day we opened the window, but at night the windows had to be closed because of the sound of a train for several hours. There is also the sound of a racetrack I believe, but that was the least of any problems.

We are now getting ready to leave and those of us with allergies are so sick we can't wait to get into the car. It is from , in my opinion, the air conditioning.

Other small things....no trash bags in the trash cans, 3 towels for a room with 4 registered guests, and some of those little amenities we are used to were missing, like a pen and paper.

We will NOT return.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank BKCA2011
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We upgraded to the suite at a very good price. The room was a reasonable size and very comfortable for two adults and two small children. Might be tight for bigger kids. The races were on that night, but we didn't hear a thing. A great stop for a family road trip, and excellent value.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank bbanks945
Cincinnati
Reviewed September 3, 2011

My wife and I have been here twice, as it's the closest Marriott property to the German-American Festival in Oregon every August. Very nice, clean rooms. The staff are helpful and courteous. The breakfast staff are very pleasant (although the tip jar was kind of a turn-off).

The ceiling/floors have to be thin, we heard walking. The walls are thicker, as we had a family with small kids next to us, and didn't hear a sound.

We never stayed when there was a race at Toledo Speedway. I can't imagine it being that bad, the hotel is quite a distance away.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank stevethom
Pleasant View, Tennessee
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed here on our way to Detroit and arrived very late at night. As soon as I got our luggage up to our room, I noticed a bad smell. I immediately recognized it as a heavy chemical smell from covering up cigarette smoke. My wife and I are incredibly sensitive to cigarette smoke, but we had no choice due to the hotel being fully booked and it being after midnight. It made for a rough night. The next morning we (along with a big crowd) went down for breakfast at 9am. The amount of food was noticeably small, like it wasn't being restocked yet "breakfast time" didn't end until 9:30. While eating I overheard someone asking an employee about it. Her response was that she was not allowed to restock after 9. That was seriously disappointing and we ended up needing an early lunch that day as a result.

At checkout we mentioned the chemical cover up of cigarette smoke, our rough night, and why we didn't mention anything sooner. The person went to get the manager, who took +10 minutes to appear. He promptly stated that he just came from the room and there was no trace of cigarette smoke, with a tone that clearly accused us of lying. He then gave us a "sorry" and "thank you for staying" which were both far from genuine.

We stay at Marriott chain hotels +95% of the time, and this is the only negative review I have ever written on one. I find it interesting that it's also the only one that Marriott did not email me a survey about.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank TSmurf
Southgate, Michigan
Reviewed June 29, 2011

The lobby and breakfast service were very nice, as was the gentleman who checked us in. The pool was cloudy and had some gross dark things floating in it, needless to say we did not swim, and I didn't see anyone else swimming either. Our room was clean and spacious but as other reviewers said, it definitely had a smoky smell and the walls were very thin. Its fine for a night but would be better if you get a room without the smoke smell. Overall I would stay again but would ask for a room change until I got one without the odor.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jenn28msu
Sun City Center, Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We generally choose Fairfield Inn because of outstanding amenities and good value. We weren't disappointed at this location.
The staff was professional. The rooms were clean and well presented. There was a good morning breakfast offered. One warning though. The hotel has a race track as a neighbor. So it could be noisy on race nights.
Lastly, the hotel is only 3 1/2 miles from Packo's....lol