“Clean room, good service”

Holiday Inn Express Toledo North
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Toledo
“Clean room, good service”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

When my husband and I arrived the guy at tge front desk was on the phone but put that person on hold and took care of us. Upon entering our room we discovered there was no power, nothing would come on. Even the alarm clock was off, I called down to the front desk and was offered another room, I asked if we could get an upgrade for our trouble and we were upgraded to a King whirlpool suite. We were then moved to the forth floor. The room was clean except for a few stains on the upholstered bench. My husband and I both agreed that the bed seemed like it was time to replace the matteress. The worst part was the sounds of the doors slamming. We were both woken up several times between 3am and 7am. When the room doors shut it sounds like a small explosion! I sleep with a white noise sound machine and the hotel wasn't even half full with people, I can't imagine what it would be like during peek times! My husband is a DAV and the sound of the doors really bothered him. I was startled awake several times too. Needless to say we were both very tired the next morning. Breakfast was better than most free hotel breakfasts but not as good as some. No regular eggs just a sort of western omelet. Instant oatmeal, cereal, bacon, some really soggy tater tots, breakfast breads, a machine that makes sort of hard pancakes, milk, coffee, juice, yogurt, fruit, and their signature cinnamon rolls. It was at least filling.
The only thing that would keep us from staying again is the sound of the doors. After all the whole reason you go to a hotel while traveling is to have a place to sleep and it you can't sleep then what good is it?

• Stayed August 2014
HIXToledoNorth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toledo North, responded to this review, September 23, 2014
Hello Friend!
Thank you for providing such a detailed review from your previous stay!
We hope to see you again!
- Valerie Ware

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Columbus, OH
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We stayed at this HI Express for a quick way-station on the way farther north. It's a newish hotel, with a stylish lobby and rooms. There's an indoor pool and free Wifi, but I didn't use either. (Two suggestions would be to hand out the Wifi password at checkin, and for the night shift to stagger their smoke breaks so that someone is always at the desk.)

Room: The room was clean, very well lit, and with well-placed outlets. The beds were standard mid-range hotel beds, but HI Express does provide a couple styles of pillows, labeled on the case. Contrary to other reviews, I found the rooms well-insulated for sound. We had no problems with noise, either from the teenagers in the next room or the hallway.

Location: It's very close to I-75, as well as the usual fast and fast-casual food outlets. There's a Meijer across the road.

What made our stay memorable was the fact that the City of Toledo issued a county-wide water safety alert at 3:00 AM. No drinking, no washing, not even after boiling. There were reportedly lines out the door at the local WalMarts, fights at dollar stores, and $28/case price gouging at gas stations. Not the city's finest moment, I'm sure.

But the hotel staff management really impressed, distributing a copy of the notice under every door, posting clear signs at every door and water source, and generally explaining the situation.

The free breakfast, of course, took a hit - no pancakes, no oatmeal - but the staff was handing out bottled water, restocking all the "dry" options, and again, going the extra mile to ensure everyone's comfort and safety (all while probably wondering what they'd do when they went home themselves.)

If the staff can come through in a crisis, I can only assume that things would be great in normal circumstances.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dan D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toledo North, responded to this review, November 5, 2015
Thank you for your feedback regarding your January 2015 stay. On behalf of my team and myself I sincerely apologize.for any inconvenience. I went back to check our records after your stay and your discovery of a bug in your room. Our pest control company was called and fortunately no traces of bed bugs or any activity of bed bugs were found. We take the issue of bed bugs very seriously. We take every possible precaution to prevent these issues. We continually monitor our rooms and we have a routine periodic pest control program in place, to keep our rooms pest free and in pristine condition.

Once again I apologize on behalf of my team and myself for any inconveniences you had due to this misunderstanding or misinformation.
michigan
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Clean comfortable rooms with fridge and soon all will have microwaves. Very nice free breakfast. Can be noisy, especially when people let doors close (slam) on their own. Hotel staff pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toledo North, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear 2341mid,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. I would also like to apologize for any disturbance you have experienced during your stay.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Janice A
Lake City, Florida
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I made the mistake of requesting a high floor instead of a Top floor room and I paid for it. The room was on the 3rd floor next to the elevators. There was constant running in the halls and the
people above us must have had children that run back and forth both nights we stayed here till
after 11pm. It really ruined an otherwise very nice hotel. It has a good location and easy access to many restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Choose a 4th floor room at the end of the hall, hotel has very little soundproofing!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toledo North, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear dond0528,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am pleased to know that you found our hotel in good location and have an easy access to restaurants. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the noise issues you have encountered during your stay with us. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Atlanta
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Checked into the hotel late night after a long drive.
Front desk mgr was very nice and welcoming, go us to our room quickly. She even gave us a close room so not to disturb other guests(2:30am).
Rooms clean, staff efficient, 2 minutes off I75 what more could a traveling family want in the whee hours!

• Stayed July 2014
Yankton, South Dakota
Reviewed July 24, 2014

On our family road trip, we decided to stay here at the last moment (reservations made the day before). I chose this location because it was close to the interstate. When we checked in, the girl at the front gave us our room key, so we grabbed our luggage and when we got to the 3rd floor, it turned out, they had JUST started to clean it. The housekeepers were great in making it speedy (without missing anything) while we waited out in the hall (we weren't going to drag our stuff down stairs). The room was clean and smelled great. The kids used the pool, we didn't, so can't rate it. The breakfast was great! Definitely enough for our 15 year old son. The ONLY disadvantage to this hotel was our room door didn't close properly. We had to slam it shut several times before it was latch fully.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We planned on staying two nights-left after one! The room we had was filthy! We had called ahead to make sure they had a pool-on our way to our room we saw an out of order sign on the pool door. When we asked the front desk they said a child had gone to the bathroom in the pool the day before and it was being sanitized. We tried to check out right then but the staff insisted they would call maintenance to see if it could e reopened-well they reopened it-the pool was disgusting!! The room smelled so strong of ammonia that your eyes watered and the water was so cloudy and full of dirt and who knows what else-we were not going to swim in that!! Overall a terrible experience!!

• Stayed July 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toledo North, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Danfamvaca,