“Hot glass demo in the glass pavilion rocks!”

Toledo Museum of Art
Ranked #1 of 79 things to do in Toledo
More attraction details
Owner description: Art from all over the world and every time period is housed at this outstanding museum, considered one of the world's best. From paintings by Renoir to sculptures by Alexander Calder to a vast glass collection, you'll find wonderful treasures here. Founder and first president Edward Drummond Libbey wanted to build a place where art was accessible to everyone, hence the museum's free admission policy, which continues to this day. The Toledo Museum of Art is open:Tuesday & Wednesday: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.Thursday & Friday: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.Saturday: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.Sunday: noon – 5 p.m.Closed Mondays, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Hot glass demo in the glass pavilion rocks!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Went to see the Manet show and then explored the TMA. The glass pavilion is a treasure. Great exhibits and the best hot glass demo that I have seen and we have been to Marino.

1 Thank Otwoma

Central Florida, Florida
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Beautiful art, not so nice "security"”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Decided to have a day out and stop by the museum due to so many stating it was worth the visit. I will say the art was amazing and I loved the Dutch artist exhibit as well as the Egyptian/Roman/Greek exhibits. Everything was very nicely displayed and the lighting was not offensive while admiring the paintings.
My only concern is the friendliness of the "security" and staff they have on hand. It was our first time there and we didn't know all the rules, so to speak. I read in the pamphlet that no flash photography was allowed in certain areas of the museum, unless it was a special exhibit. I wasn't quite sure what a special exhibit might be, so I looked for signs saying no photography. I took one photo with my phone, and was immediately yelled (yes, yelled at, not nicely spoken to) "There's no photography!!" Startled, I turned around and found myself apologizing to a very unhappy gruff woman in a blue suit. I again apologized and stated I was not aware of the certain exhibit rule and put my phone away. Her response was "Well there isn't any photography!!" We were then watched like thief's for the rest of that particular exhibit. A simple tap on the shoulder and explanation that I was not allowed to take pictures would have seemed much more becoming. Oh well.
Overall, museum was great day trip. Just watch your p's and q's around the staff. They take their jobs very seriously, and consider everyone a threat.

Visited November 2012
Singapore
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Not Bad”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Came to the museum for a short afternoon visit.
I would say that i was pretty surprised that Toledo has a more-than-decent art museum. (my misconception came from Toledo being pretty small)
However, there are many interesting pieces in there, and i went for the 'Made In Hollywood' exhibition, and that was pretty good as well.
There are many activities, and i did manage to catch a demo of a 'swing dance' performance in the in-house theater auditorium, and that was fun.
I can expect to come to the museum every other month if i'm a resident of Toledo, and the free entry certainly doesn't hurt.
It is not a gigantic museum, and i would say a full day would probably cover it.

Ottawa Hills, OH
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“suprisingly great for a city of Toledo's small size”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

great glass collection, very impressive collection of Western European classic paintings, good atmosphere. Manet exhibit was amazing!

Indianapolis, IN
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Great Manet Exhibit along with the Hollywood still photos”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I was impressed with this museum. The temporary Manet exhibit which ends 1/1/13 was impressive enough but the Hollywood still photos were impressive as well. The museum houses some impressive artists. The cost was not prohibitive and the parking is affordable and free over a certain dollar amount.