“In need of repair and very old”

Red Roof Inn Toledo - University
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Toledo
Sandusky
“In need of repair and very old”
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Room ffloor was swept and clean linens were out. However, the wall were filthy and several wall paper patched were on the wall. It looked like the walls were never washed. The carpet was very old as well and needed shmpoo. There was no coffee maker, hair dryer, or ironing board in the room as listed on web site. I was informed I could get one at the desk. When asked about coffee maker was told the "classic" hotels (decode to old and in need of repair) did not offer coffee in the rooms. Avoid room 242 at all costs.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Central Valley, California
Reviewed July 2, 2009

My wife and I were in Toledo for the 4th of July visiting her very large family. We had the option of staying in a cramped family member's house with many other family members or finding a nearby hotel/motel. This was an obvious choice for us, however our budget was somewhat limited and our taste was a bit picky. After doing some research on Trip Advisor and other online booking sites, I found the Red Roof Inn Secor (actually called Red Roof Inn Toledo - University) to have the fewest bad reviews. So we took our chances.

We were originally told that we could not check-in until 2pm, however we arrived at 9am in Toledo after a red-eye flight and desperately needed a shower and some sleep. We stopped for breakfast to kill a little time, but by 10:30 we just couldn't wait anymore. I called the front desk and asked them if it would be possible to check-in early and they told me "absolutely" as they were not even 50% to capacity. When we arrived at the lobby, we were greeted with a weird smoke smell, yet extremely friendly service. I explained to them our situation and they informed me that the Deluxe Business King - Non Smoking room that I had reserved was actually not going to be available until 2pm; however they did have a Smoking room available for check-in right now. I was warned that the room definitely had a smoke odor to it and if I wasn't a smoker she did not recommend it. She then proceeded to check a few other options, after which she informed me that she had a Non Smoking All Inclusive King available immediately. The only difference between this room and the one I reserved was the mini-fridge, which I knew I could live without. Plus this saved me about 10 dollars/night! She also noticed that I had accidently reserved the room for 1 adult instead of 2 and even though I told her I made a mistake, she honored the 1 adult room rate for me. We were then told if we needed anything to be sure and let them know. Service is very important to me and I felt this was some of the best "genuine" service I've ever received.

We were given a choice of room location and chose the 3rd (top) floor to reduce noise. I was prepared to let the front desk staff know if I was not satisfied with the room's cleanliness, however that was not necessary. The room had NO odor to it (we expected some type of smoke smell) and was clean and cool. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the bathroom was fully stocked and clean. The only stain or dirt I found was a small stain behind the bathroom door, and believe me, I looked. I pulled the sheets off to inspect and again - clean, no stains, no bugs (that I could see).

After meeting up with family for the night we realized we are going on an impromptu trip to a nearby lake and won't need the second night we had reserved. I let the front staff know we were not going to need the second night and again they were friendly and accommodating. As long as we checked out by Noon the next day we would not be charged for the additional night.

The only downside I see is the lack of basic amenities. The room does not have a hair dryer (good thing my wife never leaves home with-out hers or we'd be on our way to Wal-Mart to buy one!), an iron/ironing board, tissues, and more towels (though they were provided to us when requested). I would also recommend you consider booking your room directly, as the room rates were all within a dollar of the online booking sites such as Kayak.com, Hotels.com, travelocity.com, etc. and I did not have to pre-pay, plus this gave me flexibility with last minute changes. Overall I found the Red Roof Inn Toledo - University to be an excellent value for our buck and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kandzmoney
united states
Reviewed April 29, 2009

Have stayed here twice recently. Both times had to switch rooms due to odor of high powered room freshener or cigarette odor upon entering. In 3 rooms the upholstered side chairs were stained and in 2 rooms when I flipped the seat cushion I beheld peanuts, crumbs, pet fur etc. (and I don't mean just a tad)! Disgusting!
I find it hard to believe they don't clean the upholstery when the staining is SO obvious! Yuck! Only wish I had my camera to take some photo's. Rest of the room was okay and I must say the staff is very friendly. The outside overhang on the building that you walk under is in definite need of repair and paint. No irons or hair dryers in rooms.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Mill_9
Big Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed February 12, 2009

It was a perfect stop for the night. Staff was efficient, rooms very clean and quiet, beds comfy, free coffee and newspaper enjoyable. Had all the basics for a great price. Within walking distance to Al Smith's Place which had delicious dinner and breakfast.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — No free internet access
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GrandmaOzark
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed February 4, 2009

Booked $42 room via phone after reading far worse reviews at the better places in town. Booking was smooth, clerk was friendly and well spoken. Check in was prompt and friendly- desk clerk acted like we were the reason for her job and not an interruption (rare so it deserves mention); the free coffee machine has good hot cocoa and decent coffee- even for coffee snobs. Bedding was comfy and modern, room was clean with newer looking carpet. Our 2nd floor room was plenty warm and quiet, although it was a very slow night. Bed was soft and the tub/ shower was clean enough that I soaked in the tub (yes, it really was a very clean feeling room). The soak in tub required the bathroom door to be left open for light; the noisy bathroom fan turned on with the bathroom light without an override mechanism. Another plus was the close location to a good sized antiques mall.

Cons: Other people staying there were the types that drive vans- seedy, poor, handicap & old
Fan in bathroom (at least ours) was quite loud
No Mini-Frig/ No Microwave
Internet was $$ compared to room prices
No interior halls- it's a Motel vs Hotel

• Liked — Low price, comfy bed, clean room, good service
  • Disliked — Low prices attract the seedy, poor, old & sales men I'd rather not stay near.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MidwesternMistress
Central Wisconsin
Reviewed January 16, 2009

I came to Toledo for hernia surgery at the Mercy Hernia Center. This was one of the motels that they suggested as an overnight option. I was pleased with the cleanliness and comfort of the room. The staff was friendly. All the other guests were quiet and respectful. Definetly a good choice.

• Liked — price and cleanliness
  • Disliked — while we were able to park directly below our room, we had to walk an extra distance to a stairway and back again.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
canton, ohio
Reviewed April 28, 2007

stayed overnight with my son on a friday night. we were there to see a concert. room was small but clean. check in and out went smoothly. no problems while we were there. was good for an overnight stay where all you needed is a room to sleep in.

• Liked — close to the music venue and great chinese food spot nearby
  • Disliked — small
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family