“good price but "no smoking" room perhaps a misnomer” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Roof Inn Toledo - University

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Red Roof Inn Toledo - University
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Toledo
Ohio City, Ohio
“good price but "no smoking" room perhaps a misnomer”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

I needed a relatively inexpensive room in Toledo for one night for an early morning appointment in Toledo. I had stayed at this Red Roof Inn before and knew that it was generally a good value for money. I booked a "no smoking" room on the ground floor. The price was reasonable: $79, including all taxes. There was a small extra charge for the room safe (which they did not tell me at booking time). Upon checking-in, I was able to have the charge for the safe removed from my bill.

The room was relatively clean and well laid out.

However, when I entered the room it smelled as if someone had been smoking. As it was late and I had little time, I did not confront the front desk about their mistake. I noticed as I went to sleep some of my neighbors smoking in the parking lot and taking their lighted cigarettes into their hotel rooms.

Room Tip: Be sure to check that you are not billed the extra few dollars for the in-room safe if you are not p...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
YDennison01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Toledo - University, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for writing this review. I am truly sorry you experienced the cigarette odor, we do our best to make sure that all smokers utilize our smoking rooms, however, there are times that someone may smoke in one of our non smoking rooms despite our best efforts. When the non smoking rooms are found to have been smoked in, my staff works hard to make sure no odors linger in the room. This review makes me aware that, in this room, a little more work needs to be done. I am truly sorry you experienced this. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Toledo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here for one night when visiting friends and family in the Toledo area. I chose this property because of it's location, which is near many places to eat, and right off of a major freeway exit that was central to everything I had to do.

This property is probably 30+ years old, (It was here when I worked nearby back in 1987.) and is very much in need of an updating. The furniture is old and frayed, the heating / AC was loud and outdated, and the rest of the property is showing it's age as well. But hey, it's a Red Roof Inn, so I wasn't expecting the Ritz.

The staff was friendly , check in / out was fast, and for the most part, the place was quiet.

Bottom line: Good place for a one night stay, but not a place to build a vacation around. Business travelers would be well advised to look at other properties as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
YDennison01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Toledo - University, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you very much for the review. You're right, the property is in need of updating. If you watch in the near future, you will be seeing alot of that updating being done! We look forward to seeing you again in your future travels!
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

I guess you get what you pay for . . . I got a "red hot deal" and paid less than 50 bucks for the room, but it was not worth it AT ALL. I am writing this review from the Comfort Inn, 1/2 mile down the street.
First of all, there was no clerk on duty and a sign on the door to the "lobby" saying that the friendly clerk would be back in five minutes. Noisy drunken people hung around the stairways (there are no elevators) waiting with me. I got a "non-smoking" room that reeked so badly of smoke that I had an asthma attack.
The room was neat but certainly not clean. The light colored chairs had pee stains and coffee stains, the carpet was frayed and stained, the ac BARELY worked on high and smelled of mildew, and the bed was like an unstable canoe ....
Then a chemically impaired man outside my window started cussing out his "girl" and shaking her by the shoulders. I was dialing 911 when he ran down the stairs to his truck and sped away leaving her stranded. I didn't wait around. I got about a 50% refund and went to the Comfort Inn.
Maybe I was just there on a bad night, but I don't think I could ever have a good night there. The comfort inn is $30 more per night than the Red Roof Inn, but it is certainly worth it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Shanni_TF
i am truly sorry you experienced these problems at my Inn. I assure you this is NOT normal at this property.. I will be questioning my security guard on this matter.
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have said before that Red Roof Inns are still hit or miss ... this one is a "miss". The staff were as helpful as they could have been - but nothing can obliterate the heavy smoking smell in a (pre-booked) non-smoking room. It was late in the evening, and we didn't have much choice for alternatives. We were moved to a second non-smoking room that also smelled of smoke - but it was bearable after a few minutes .... the cigarette burn hole in the bedspread was a confirmation of our suspicions! The room bathroom and sink area were spotlessly clean, and it looked as if it had been recently refurbished. But the curtains and upholstered chair held the smell of cigarette smoke, and the unworn carpet was badly stained. Until Red Roof takes its new image seriously, and enforces its "rules", they will never be more than a "hit or miss" company.

Room Tip: If you want a smoke-free room, book it, then arrive early enough to have a choice if your room is no...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I am truly sorry you were not satisfied with your stay. We do our best to make sure that smokers utilize only smoking rooms, but, unfortunately, at times they will smoke in a non smoking regardless. This is frustrating for us as well. My staff does their best to clean these rooms thoroughly, and to make sure that odor is not present anymore, but occassionaly one may get by them. I will have my staff go through their rooms thoroughly again to ensure that another guest does not experience this same thing. Again, I am truly sorry you experienced this.
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I got a last minute "red hot deal" on a long car trip. We got a large clean king non-smoking. It had a microwave and fridge, free wifi, comfortable bed, excellent water pressure, really absolutely equivalent to rooms I've paid a lot more for. We didn't really need the air con but the room was plenty cool when we arrived. I'd stay there again happily.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am so glad to hear that you were able to get a Red Hot Deal rate, and found our property to meet, and even exceed your expectations! I will relay this message to my staff! Thank you!
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

The air conditioning worked very well, standard size. The room was clean, but the hallways could have been a little cleaner. No musty or disgusting smells except for some guests who were smoking pot in their rooms. I could smell it when walking to my room. This was annoying, but beyond my control. For one night stay, it was good.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Unfortunately, we are unable to control what some people do once they get into their rooms. We do our best though to make sure that everyone that stays with us receives a clean, comfortable room. We look forward to your next visit with us!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

My mom and I stayed here for one night on a drive from Maryland to California in July, 2013. The room looked exactly like the photos online and were actually better than I looked forward to from the photos. The room was clean and we did not have any problems with bugs of any kind (my biggest fear!) The staff was very nice as well. I would definitely recommend the room for a one night road trip stop. You cant beat clean, safe, and affordable!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the kind words, my staff and i work very hard every day to ensure all of our guests have a clean, comfortable stay. I am glad we accomplished this for you!