“Food is very good but there is an issue”

Koreana Asian Grill and Sushi
Ranked #48 of 748 Restaurants in Toledo
Cuisines: Japanese, Korean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 18, 2013

First the service was good. The appetizers that came with the meal were very good. The Kimchi was very tasty. It wasn't too spicy for the novice, but interesting enough for the initiated. The Bulgogi was smash hit for our children. It was very good, but I prefer my wife's spicier version. The quality of meat needs to be improved (use Top Sirloin Prime).
JJambbong was very good. This was the dish I ate. I would have liked to see actual fish rather than only shell fish. The squid was not fresh and should be removed from the menu. It was rubbery and difficult to eat.

We will go back to this restaurant. Despite my criticisms we had a very enjoyable meal. I have lived in NYC, Miami, and LA, and I may be more critical than most. This is a good restaurant. However, there is an issue. Who is collecting the tips? A friend who brought in a large group of folks was fairly certain that the owner pocketed the large tip. This is not acceptable. I am not sure what is the custom in Korea. But I have serious problems going to a restaurant in which the servers are not rewarded for good service.
Mr. Kim you are better than this, let's make the change. Allow the wait staff to keep their tips.

2  Thank ifBeau

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I only went because it was rated #1 on tripadvisor, and the ratings were right. I asked what the waiter would recommend, and he enthusiastically said #20 and #33 are the best and what they are known for. Both are so good, but I prefer #20! We also got the spicy tuna roll and the crazy roll (Perfect, fresh sushi)! He also explained what everything was because he knew it was out first time. Also, we went on a Saturday @4pm, and we were the only customers. I love not having to fight a crowd on Saturday night.

It's in the middle of nowhere and next to a strip club, but it's SAFE. I went for my anniversary dinner. We left happy and with tons of leftovers! A+ Amazing food, customer service and overall experience.

1  Thank randalynnlynn
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Honestly feel like I must have gone to a different place from all the other reviews. We were in town from LA and pretty used to good korean and sushi. This was definitely neither. The waiter was totally clueless, it took 15 minutes to get the menus, then he proceeded to put our starters all on the same plate, which was just bizarre, he had to go back to the kitchen to divide the dishes into individual portions. His finger nails and demeanour looked like he'd been sleeping rough, enough to put you off food for life. Then when our mains came, they presented us with the check. A novel approach to customer satisfaction, providing them with a bill when they've been in the restaurant 25 minutes. Easily the worst Korean cuisine I've had - and the sushi, umm, it must be the only place in town and no one has ever been out of the town if they think this is as good as it gets. It isn't. Terrible.

3  Thank chris w
Reviewed December 20, 2012

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A SPECIAL NIGHT - we were placed next to the piano player and conversation was difficult -better layout for the tables woudl have solved this but at the prices I guess management wanted to make as much profit as possible. We had difficulty attracting the waiter's attention except when it came time to pay the bill. On leaving we found the cloak room unattended and had to hunt for our coats but I noticed the tip jar was very prominent. You will not our visit was more than one year ago and we would never go back or recommend this rather pretentious restaurant that obviously has seen better days but they are long past.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Didn't know that Fifi's closed until I tried to call in for a reservation for Christmas. Very disappointed it has closed. Wonderful experience when dining there and will greatly miss it.
D. Patton