“While there are alot of issues, the biggest problem is the staff.”
Review of The Hungry I - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I noticed reviews based on 1 visit, and reviews that were vague. Have visited this restaurant about a 8 or 9 times, October, November and December, 2011. Specifically, we were either not greeted by the hostess, or greeted and left to our own devices to find a table. This is dance night, and around 9 P the floor will be cleared of tables for dancing. Some tables were reserved, some tables were not being seated because they were slated to be moved. We didn't know which was which till we attempted to sit at a wrong table.

Rarely were we approached by a waitress, we had to flag one down. The worst was from the minute we passed the front desk till our drinks were placed in front of us was 20 minutes, by the clock. About 10 minutes to get a waitress and another 10 till the drinks came. They were served without napkins and mine was not what I ordered. Instead of making a new drink she took it to the bar and strained off the excess ice. Mostly our drinks come without garnish even if we ask for it. The drinks are served in different glasses every week and sometimes even the price is different for the exact same drink.

The only meal out of the 5 that I ordered that was good was the hamburger, but while it was cooked medium, the outside was so charred in some places; I had to scrape it off like it was burned toast. My husband’s was better, and way bigger. There is no consistency in serving sizing. Ribs were so tough and lacking in flavor I had to send them back. A pasta dish was so overloaded with sun dried tomatoes fully a quarter of the dish was that. Another pasta dish was brought to my friend requesting plain alfredo rather than the spicy southwest. Her dish was HOT! I eat very spicy foods and it was too hot for me. When the server came back, she argued with my friend that it was not hot.

On another occasion, my friend asked his salad to be made with just romaine, and the server argued with him that they can't do that, though he's gotten it that way before and has gotten it that way since. The staff is slow, some are disrespectful and argumentative. Napkins are hard to come by and my friend has to continually request his water glass be refilled.

The ambience and acoustics are nice. The restaurant is clean in the dining area. The bathroom is clean. The owner is highly visible. The staff needs serious training, bar, wait staff and cooks need to be turned into chefs. It is very hard to get simple special requests like "light ice". You might think since the owner is visible why not just bring it to his attention? Initially we did, but the offenses are so numerous and repetitive it got old real fast. The only reason we still frequent this place is the dancing, but we have begun eating elsewhere.

On dancing nights going at 8P and eating dinner before the music starts should be pleasant. As the evening goes on, a request for something to snack on like chips and salsa or potato chips is met by an offer to bring you the menu to roder an appetizer. Having just had a full dinner, we were not interested in an appetizer. The waitress offered to bring us bread. So, no snacks to accompany your drinks for the evening.

Is this detailed enough for you?

Reviewed December 31, 2010

I have been here a number of times and they have always provided a great experiance
Have had both social and business meeting meals here,including business meetings
in their private room.

1  Thank cosmos65
Reviewed November 18, 2010

The Hungry I reopened last December and amid some adjustments and changes has been a great place for lunch and dinner. I read some of the previous posts and actually had to giggle reading how people complained about cloth table cloths in a hamburger joint. Since then they have gotten new tables and removed the table cloths that were obviously hiding less than attractive tables. I personally have had EXCELLENT service each time I have gone to the Hungry I. Everyone seems to be actually having fun and enjoys working there.the food is fantastic ! A reuben stacked high with corned beef, homemade soups and burgers that are by far the best in Toledo are just a few of the reasons I go to the "I" at least once a week. As for the description of the older gentleman complaining about tomatoes ( in an earlier post) I am sure that was Gus one of owners and yes he likes to yell at the staff a little but that is part of his "charm" believe it or not.
The servers we have had include Toby, Amy and Jenny. They are three of our favorites and I have even had to wait for a table for Amy as two other tables requested her as well.
Recently they have had live entertainment on Thursday thru Saturday. This adds another reason for us to come in and enjoy a drink or two and have a late night snack.
Give this place a try. Seriously you won't be disappointed.

2  Thank heynicki
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Considering Toledo has more restaurants per capita than any other city in America, there are bound to be a few Hungry I's. I feel it is my duty as a restaurant patron to warn others of such mis-managed, mis-handled, overpriced hack jobs.
Upon visiting, the first thing I noticed was the name. The name itself is silly. I would almost rather it be "I Hungry" or "The Hungry Eye". It was a a foolish title 20 some odd years back and it was not worth reviving.
The decor was fine, I really don't pay much attention to that. My visit was during the day, but I can see how it would look really nice at night time. But then I can really see what others are saying about the quality of the food in such high-end decor. Reubens and chicken fingers on a white table cloth? Whatever!
While seated at the bar, some older gentleman (presumably the owner) walked into the kitchen and started screaming. My friend and I heard every word of it. He was throwing a fit over tomatoes. So we decided to stay away from the tomatoes and split a reuben.
The last straw was when our sandwich came out on one plate. Our bartender gave us an extra plate for us to split ourselves. I had to ask why in the world won't the kitchen split entrees, and she replied "They're lazy."!!!!!
NEVER AGAIN! A nine dollar reuben we had to split ourselves, a screaming freak in the kitchen, bartenders who reek like cigarettes; Never again. Stay away.

Reviewed May 22, 2010

We've been here at least a half dozen times since they opened. Andrew was an excellent waiter at least half of those visits. I suggested to Cheryl (an owner) that they put the tuna melt (from the original restaurant) on the menu and they did! I don't understand why people bash a reasonably priced establishment for their upscale atmosphere.