“Worst service”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Streets
Transit: None
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My friend a I decided to visit the Coldwater Cafe for lunch. We had been there before and had enjoyed ourselves. Today was very different. We were seated for over 15 minutes before we got up and left. The table next to us, which was seated after us, already had their drinks and salads when we left. We walked across the street to Harrison's and had a delicious lunch. We will go back to Harrison's next time.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (271)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The first good sign was Bell’s Oberon on tap – of course, there are others, too, but if I hear Oberon, I usually stop right there. The menu had a reasonable variety of standard and creative dishes. I opted for the sweet corn bisque and the Scottish salmon.
The bisque was really good, with a nice sweet corn flavor accented by a few other tastes. The texture was just right, with a bit of pulp and body to it. I like my bisques and chowders piping hot – it was not, but that’s a minor point.
The salmon was great, and compared to most place, amazing. Perfectly cooked (medium, they asked first) and seasoned just right, it was on top of a bed of rice mixed with a bit of coconut, some asparagus and a Thai- like sauce. Actually the salmon was so good on its own it did not need the sauce – so I ate it alone and sopped up the sauce with the rice.
Not usually a dessert guy, I had a look at the dessert board anyway and there were several which caught my eye. Asking the staff’s advice, as I did for the main course, I chose the cherry- almond cake with a warm, sweet butter- honey sauce. It was sooo good, one of the best I have had in a long, long time. They should have included with this dessert a card with the phone number for the diabetes clinic, it was so sweet.
The service was outstanding. This was a solo visit. And I can tell you that after three + months of eating alone on a solo bicycle ride the entire length of Japan earlier this year, eating solo gets lonely. So instead of eating alone in the dining room, I ate at the bar, where they serve the full dinner menu and it’s easy to chat with the bar staff, who provided me with lots of good tips.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My friend and I drove up from Dayton for lunch on a beautiful day. We were seated and then promptly ignored for over 15 minutes before we walked out. The table next to ours, which was seated after us, already had their drinks and salads. We walked across the street to Harrison's where we had a delicious lunch served quickly by a wonderful waitress.

1  Thank 45denysec
Reviewed September 4, 2019

I recently travelled to Ohio to visit family. I always try to fit in a trip to Coldwater Cafe. This trip I hit the jackpot and visited the restaurant three times! I had the salmon salad but subbed out the dressing for the delicious cucumber dill dressing that is so fabulous. Another time I had the steak salad. That was so delicious that I had to go back to have it again! We managed to eat outside on a lovely day, in the vault, and in the dining room. I highly recommend this restaurant. The desserts are also wonderful and creative!

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed September 3, 2019 via mobile

We had a wonderful dinner with my 80+ year old parents. The indoor dining area was lovely, with softly playing music in the background. Perfect for having wonderful dinner conversation. The menu choices were awesome, with two of use choosing the lobster crab cakes, and the other two having the Scottish salmon dish. A nice selection of craft beer, cocktails, and a large offering of wines are available. The service was impeccable, while being unobtrusive. An altogether lovely and excellent dining experience!

Date of visit: September 2019

Been to Coldwater Cafe? Share your experiences!