“Apparently undiscovered, but very good”
Review of SouthBriar Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
SouthBriar Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We went on a Saturday night and the place was not very busy. There was a talented jazz group performing and you'd think it would have been busier. It seemed like a bad sign, but everything was very good. It started off on a strange note---a very good martini was served in a tumbler---but we rectified that and everything went well afterwards. The food---salmon, chicken, salads---was excellent, prepared exactly as ordered. An unusual bread, like a french bread but sweeter, was served and we were told it was homemade. In fact, our server said everything is made to order. An unexpected finding was the large number of German dishes on the menu. They were said to be very popular. Drink and food prices were reasonable.

The presentation was handsome and the service was professional. In fact, everyone from bartender to servers, were helpful and friendly. I can only surmise the economy is responsible for the surprisingly quiet evening. The only drawback: the wine list was limited and uninteresting, I was afraid to try the $4.50 house wine and stayed with a mixed drink. A wider variety would seem a necessity.

2  Thank GPsy

Reviewed January 13, 2011

First time to this restaurant...saw the menu on line and it looked great. Greeted promptly by one of the partners...our server was very cordial....we both had the French Onion soup which was tasty and hot. I had the Weinerschnitzel, and my wife had the strip steak...the portions were big, we each took half home...and everything was delicious.

2  Thank 1delphi
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Went one weekend and the food was great, service okay and prices allright. Went two weeks later, again on a Friday night and the service was worse than awful - but as we said - where can we go - we're stuck. It was exactly TWO hours before we got our main course. No where in my over 60 years of travel have I ever had such an awful experience - as to the food - most of what we ordered wasn't availabe, and the prime rib ordered med-rare didn't even show a hint of pink. The date of our last visit was March 19th 2010. We should have known this was not a restaurant of commendation when we arrived and the front desk said - "Oh, they gave your table to those old ladies - hope you don't mind" We are from New York - our guests from San Francisco - this doesn't make a very good statement for the midwest.

Reviewed November 24, 2009

first time @ SouthBriar, had the crab cake app's they are fantastic. Then had Salmon dinner and walleye that was baked. Best I've ever had. Server's were great and friendly. Bar staff was awesome. Told us all about $2.00 Bubbles from 5-7pm Mon-Fri. & Chilli @ cost of the Temp outside for a cup. Decorations were very nice., Will go back soon!

1  Thank wreckybec
Reviewed October 20, 2009

The selection is impressive covering both American Standards and some Ethnic Options. The atmosphere to me was warm and comfortable and the staff I encountered was friendly. I have returned twice now and have enjoyed both experiences!!

1  Thank VivMaumee