“Excellent"”

Element 112
Ranked #2 of 82 Restaurants in Sylvania
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Opened in October 2012 and located in the heart of historical Downtown Sylvania, Ohio, Element 112 offers a carefully crafted dining experience with outstanding service, comfortable ambiance, and exceptional cuisine. With menus inspired by the four natural elements - earth, air, fire, and water - Chef Nixon uses only the freshest seasonal ingredients to create a dining experience that is both innovative and unexpected. Menus change daily, and are reflective of what Chef has been able to source that day from his farm, his fish mongers, specialty purveyors, farmer's markets, and the Element 112 garden. Chef Nixon only chooses suppliers with the highest standards and ethical practices, in order to provide Element 112 with the highest quality products. Our Chef's Tasting Menu allows the Element 112 kitchen to create an experience that wholly expresses the Element 112 cuisine. Courses on our Chef's Tasting Menu change frequently, reflecting seasonality and Chef Nixon's current inspirations. Element 112 features the only wine list in Northwest Ohio with three Wine Spectator Restaurant Awards.
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was in town on family business and my brother spoke highly of this newer restaurant. I decided to try it one night while I was on my own and I was very pleased. I sat at the bar and the bartenders were friendly and knowledgable. The salad was interesting and tasty. The entree was innovative and very, very good. I followed up with a desert which was about perfect. All in all, this was a great find and a pleasant surprise in Sylvania. Well Done!

2  Thank LarryHBendOR

Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I had been wanting to try this place for quite a while and finally made the trip last night. It was a fun food adventure. Our waiter was attentive and charming and explained all the menu items in a way that made me want to order every single one. We enjoyed the leisurely pace of the meal and the fresh, innovative food.

If you have heard the TED talk: "The Future of Cooking: Food as Alchemy," and want to try food cooked with cutting-edge techniques, this is the place. I was a little nervous that the food would be gimmicky and pretentious, but everything was delicious and surprisingly simple and elegant, even with all the high-tech cooking methods. I did, however, see a strange fishbowl-like apparatus that waiters were using to pour liquid nitrogen over something on the tasting menu at nearby tables -- we just ordered a few courses off the menu and a bottle of wine.

Though the meat entrees were sold as the stars, I thought the vegetables were the highlight. I could happily have two or three starters and dessert and skip the entrees next time. We got a "Pain Perdu" (French Toast/Bread Pudding) dessert to share, and that was delicious -- as was their coffee.

This is a big-city dining experience in sleepy little downtown Sylvania, with corresponding prices. It is not something I would have expected to find here, but the place is constantly packed -- it seems to be finding its audience.

I would recommend that people look at the website before going -- I just read a review from someone who went with young children. It is not for picky eaters or for anyone who wants big portions and fast service -- there are already dozens of places like that in the area. Don't try to go before a show -- this is dinner as the event.

We live right nearby and plan to try the Tuesday mini-tastings. I was tempted to do the full five-course tasting menu last night, but we had a later reservation and I think it would have been too much -- I would like to try it if we had an earlier reservation, maybe with a group.

3  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We dined at Element on Saturday night celebrating the graduation of our daughter from BGSU, and also had along our younger kids (ages 6 and 9) Had heard good things about this new place and the critics seemed to be impressed in their reviews. Positives: The entire staff were very friendly and attentive, the service was excellent. The food was unique and high quality, but tended to the eclectic. There were a number of "surprise" hors devours from the chef, which was fun and very nice. Negatives: Understandably, not a kid friendly menu. It was our mistake to go here with younger kids. The 6 year old was willing to be adventurous, but the 9 year old wasn't going for anything except the bread and the options were pretty limited. Was starting to get funny just watching her turn her nose up at everything that came out (I suspect the chef isn't quite ready to serve the neon orange mac and cheese).
On the whole, this reminded me of some of the trendy restaurants we tried when living in Chicago. This is a smaller, quieter place that is not traditional. Come with an open mind for interesting, high quality food...just come with other adults.

2  Thank Kevin L
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The best dinner we have had yet at Element 112. Everything from the fresh-from-the-oven bread with butter from "Kris the Cow" to the delectable "6 minute egg" was outstanding. Hats off to the Chef/Owner for perfecting "Filet de Boeuf Provencale" plated so perfectly:) Service was spot on as well. Element stands out among all for all of the little culinary "surprises" from the kitchen that keep the guests wondering what is next:) The only reason that I did not give the service 5 stars is due to how slow the bar gets drinks out. We waited 15-20 minutes for each beverage ordered from the bar. Please do not let that stop you from dining at Element 112:) Headed back tomorrow night for our 15th Wedding Anniversary!

2  Thank Mindy V
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Ate here on a Friday night. The whole dining experience was great. Chef is quite inventive and preparations were sumptous. Some interesting cooking techniques. Read some reviews that they felt dinner was $$. Disagree. You'd pay triple in NYC or LA. We had Scallops, some salads, lobster cappachino and a bottle of wine(bill was $130 including wine). The listof wine is centerd around food. Lots of Chefs teasers were brought out. Could bring in less expensive bottles from other regions besides California. Service was great. Looks like menu changes periodically. Only complaint is the windows need shades for the evening. Parking lot cars headlights shine right in the windows. Now that Element 112 is here wouldn't likely travel to AnnArbor to dine at Logan

4  Thank FoodDaddy