“Pleasant surprise for a village named Swanton!”
Review of Shucker's Restaurant - CLOSED

Shucker's Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Saturday night, party of 5...loved the clam chowder...rich, flavorful, & chock full of clams. I had the 8 oz prime rib...tender, cooked a perfect medium rare...redskin potatoes were a great alternative to a baked potato. My dining companions enjoyed the crab cakes and Mac-n-cheese. Only less than favorable comment was on the French onion soup...looked delicious, but tasted more like a mix. Good service. Seated relatively quickly for a busy Saturday night.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a long-time favorite of ours but haven't been there in a while. Our last trip was based on a real hunger for seafood and it filled the bill. My grouper was every bit as good as that I'd eaten in Florida last winter at an expensive restaurant in Panama City Beach. My husband's Lake Erie Perch were perfectly prepared and he loves the garlic pasta side choice. The restaurant is busy, and the service outstanding

Reviewed March 3, 2013

One of the things I love about Shuckers, is it is one of the few places that take a reservation anymore, and trust me, if you make one, when you get there you will be glad you did. We love being able to go to dinner somewhere nice that is local. There are several things on the menu that my husband and I order, we usually have trouble deciding what to get. As far as the atmosphere goes, it has never occurred to me to look around and say, wow, look how this place is decorated, to me it is just "Shuckers". I am going to enjoy a dinner with my husband and or friends, what is hanging on the walls doesn't really matter to me. Danielle from Pioneer must have caught them on the really bad night. For as long as Shucker's has been there, I have never ever heard one negative word about them. Waitresses and hostess are always welcoming and friendly. And for goodness sake, if your water glass isn't being filled as soon as you think it should be, please remember you are not the only customer your waitress has, (tolerance).....and just give them a little wave, ask for more water, and move on with the rest of your meal. When I see a review that is so negative about a place I have visited many many times with no complaints, and have never personally heard of any, it makes me wonder if that person has extremely high expectations. Yes, Shuckers isn't Real Seafood, if I wanted all that fu fu, I would go there.

2  Thank Sherrie C
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I love seafood, so we thought we would try this establishment, what a mistake. We ordered the buffalo shrimp as an appetizer and it was alright. Then the waitress brought my salad which had rotten cucumbers and grape tomatoes on it, also the croutons had no flavor. When our dinner came, I was disgusted and could not eat it. I am usually a person who can not stop eating because something taste so good, not at this place. We both ordered the shrimp, scallop and fish combo, we got it sauteed. The shrimp and scallops literally came floating in a bowl of butter, and the fish was sitting in a puddle of butter. My side was the garlic pasta, it also was very oily, greasy, unhealthy, poor tasting, poor quality product. Another complaint is the food had absolutely no seasoning or flavor what so ever. The decor was cheap looking, generally poor atmosphere. But the most disappointing part of my visit was when I checked my online banking app the next day. The waitress gave her self a $10 dollar tip from my husbands debit card! We left her tip in cash on the table. After that I called the place and asked to speak with a manager. The managers reply was she, the waitress has worked here for 17 years and this not her hand writing. I just gave her an ear full, because I just cannot believe that they are running this crooked place, nasty food, and when I drive by this place is packed. Are the locals taste buds dead?or have you people never been exposed to better culture than this? This place is cheap, DISHONEST, serves people unhealthy, rotten food and writes themselves a tip for it and the manager backs them up. When I told her floating in butter is not sauteed, her response was everyone has their own way of sauteing. No, there is a standard, and obviously they do not have one. I could go on all day about how unhappy this place has made me, while I wait for them to return my unauthorized tip, but I have better things to do. I just hope that the next person with a little class and some standards, keeps driving right on by. The locals must just not know any better. Try Joes Crab Shack, they give a list of optional flavors, very good atmosphere, worth the drive and money. $55 for two small portioned dinners with no flavor floating in a bowl of butter and an unauthorized tip is all I got here.

4  Thank Danielle H
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The only thing we've ever had here that you could say is worth the drive is the perch. You're packed into a restaurant full of locals who seem to like it. I'm not crazy about touching elbows with the table or booth next to me while I'm eating. The staff was attentive and well versed on their menu. Some of my family love their crab legs. I found most of the fish entries boring. If you want an inexpensive seafood meal this may be your place. If you want good seafood go to Real Seafood on the River in Toledo. Each time I'm there I come away thinking the food was ok,and question why I returned. I guess some of my family and friends put price above quality.

1  Thank vkngprints