“Absolutely The Best !”

Ranked #1 of 5 Sugarcreek B&B and Inns
Ontario, Canada
“Absolutely The Best !”
Reviewed September 15, 2007

My wife and I like to get away once a year for 6-8 days to someplace different. We decided this trip to go to the Amish area of Holmes County Ohio and after reading positive reviews on Trip Advisor we decided to stay at the Carlisle Inn Sugarcreek.

Just from the outside appearance alone we knew this was going to be a great place to stay and were not disappointed in the least. The Carlisle Inn is very well maintained, rooms are large, comfortable and clean, everything worked and the staff was extremely freindly and accomodating.

The location is at the eastern end of where most of the Amish attractions are found but it is not far to access them at all and is a rather nice drive. When we stayed, the ongoing property maintenance was evident insofar as there were workers there for a couple of days spraying black asphalt sealant on the blacktop area and re-painting the parking lot lines none of which interfered with our stay whatsoever. The onsite restaurant, gift shop and fresh meat/food buildings were a plus and we dined at the restaurant for every meal for the duration of our stay.

If the Carlisle Inn continues to operate as it was when we stayed I would VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND everyone to consider staying there absolutely.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank biker01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Moundsville, WV
Reviewed April 28, 2007

We loved the Carlisle. We will definitely stay there the next time we go to Amish country. The staff was so friendly and helpful. The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. We had our almost 2 year old with us and the crib was set up and waiting for us when we arrived. We slept great there. They had plenty of TV channels for the kids.
They had a snack in the evening. The pool is nice and warm and clean. The breakfast was good and the breakfast area is large enough for everyone having breakfast.
The hotel is beautiful with lots of furnishings from the furniture places in the area.
For all they have to offer, you would expect to spend alot more to stay there. If you are going to be in Amish country, definitely stay at the Carlisle. That is, if it's not all booked up!

• Liked — The cozy, comfortable room.
  • Disliked — It was too cold to sit out on the balcony. We liked everything there!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank luv2swimwv
Thornville, Ohio
Reviewed February 22, 2007

We've stayed @ The Carlisle Village Inn a number of times and in different seasons! My husband & I have enjoyed wonderful mini-vacations alone and we have shared fun, memorable week-ends with our daughter & "pre-teen" grandson. The Inn itself is beautiful & the staff is over-the-top!! What a wonderful place to relax! It's always a beautiful day @ the Inn no matter what the weather is outdoors! Come & enjoy! Be prepared to plan a return visit!

Stayed October 2006
1 Thank NanaSWK
wynne, ar
Reviewed February 9, 2007

Beautiful rooms with beautiful furnishing. Each room with balcony that overlooks the amish farms. Nice breakfast.

Stayed January 2007
8 Thank zelie
Newburgh, Indiana
Reviewed November 24, 2006

The hotel and grounds are beautiful. The detail inside the hotel is among some of the best I've ever seen, and I've stayed at a lot of hotels around the globe. The woodwork, furniture, doors, beds, bathrooms, breakfast areas, lobby, and pool / exercise areas are incredibly nice. This property is absolutely awesome, and my entire family loved it. We will definitely go back there again. The price was VERY good, too! Truly an "Amish-like" marvel.

• Liked — Decor, Cleanliness, Location, Beauty, Next door to amazing restaurant (Dutch Valley)
  • Disliked — Didn't have high speed internet access, but I probably needed a break from that anyhow!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank STLCardinalFan
Clarksburg, WV
Reviewed January 16, 2006

I've wanted to stay at the Carlisle ever since they started building it. I finally got the opportunity and wasn't disappointed! We only stayed one night, but were so impressed we'll certainly stay there often now.

We stayed in Executive suite # 3301. Those rooms are located on the corners of the building, and were much larger than any other room I've ever stayed in at that price. (Only $150!) The rooms are furnished with locally handmade furnishings, wonderful oak and cherry wood, and the suite we stayed in included a gas fireplace and a whirlpool tub with plenty of room for 2. They even left two wonderfully luxurious robes hanging in the closet for us next to the tub. Other amenities included a nice mini-fridge, coffee pot, and a microwave for popcorn and such. There was a dvd/vcr player as well, but with all the things to do in this region who's got time for movies? The balcony had nice views, they're even more beautiful when everything is lush and green. In my pictures I'll post, I included one of the pool area. The roof is retractable and I assume the water must be heated because there were people playing in it while we were there. Smokers beware, though. The entire hotel is non-smoking and they tell you at the front desk there's a $200 charge if you smoke in the room. They've thoughtfully left an ash tray out on the balcony, so you won't completely be without.

This place is beautiful and everything I'd hoped it would be. The staff was friendly and helpful while we were there. Their continental breakfast served on the second floor is what most restaurants would consider a full breakfast! On the morning we were there, they had toast, bagels, waffles, hot sausage, different types of hot and cold cereal, fruit salad, and other things I'm sure I didn't even notice. The restaurant next door is closed on Sundays, as is pretty much everything else in that area, so a decent breakfast at the hotel was a nice touch.

Speaking of the restaurant next door, the four buildings on the property (the hotel, restaurant, gift shop, and bulk food place) are all owned by the same company so it's possible to get gift certificates valid at any of them if you're looking for something special for someone who loves the Amish country. The restaurant next door is one I've been eating at for years and I highly recommend it. Go for the family dining. Each person gets drinks, salad bar, all you can eat main course, and dessert for a decent price. They'll keep filling those plates as fast as you can empty them. Make sure to give the pie a try, it's delicious. My favorite will always be the peanut butter pie. Wouldn't be a trip to Sugarcreek without it.

The hotel was very peaceful and quiet, exceeding all our expectations of it. We're going back to stay this weekend! If anyone's got questions I'd be happy to answer them.

• Stayed January 2006
15 Thank LdyDrvr
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 8, 2004

We stayed for the weekend. Great decor, I wish I had all of these furnishings in my own home. The space was great. The space to lounge and gather in groups was really great for our group. We were treated by someone that stopped by to play the piano in the lounge area as well. They also offer complimentary coffee and tea all night and day. It really had nice rooms with different styles in all of the rooms that our group had rented. THis made it a little more special.
I think that the hotel was nicer than most of the hotels that I have stayed at, for a price that matched others. Good job with this hotel layout!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sugarcreek
The Wallhouse Hotel
#2 of 4 in Berlin
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#4 of 4 in Berlin

Been to Carlisle Inn Sugarcreek? Share your experiences!