“We Love Our Annual Trip to the Carlisle Inn”

Carlisle Inn Sugarcreek
Ranked #1 of 5 Sugarcreek B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 4, 2013

For the past several years my husband and I have planned a trip to the Carlisle Inn in Sugarcreek, OHIO. We love it there. It is almost like a home away from home. Standard rooms are nice, but for a special occasion an upgrade to the Executive Rooms is nice. The staff is friendly and helpful. The accomodations are lovely.. We have never found any reason to complain about this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
MikeMillerGM, General Manager at Carlisle Inn Sugarcreek, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear luv2travelButler & all recent reviews,

Thank you for choosing the Carlisle Inn and for your kind comments! My team and I strive to provide the perfect oasis for peace and comfort and I'm happy you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to your return!

There are newer reviews for Carlisle Inn Sugarcreek

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was the second time we stayed at a Carlisle Inn. Again they exceeded our expectations even in the basic room. The king size was very comfortable along with being decorated with a very nice Amish quilt. The loving couple package we got again was fantastic. Enjoyed the free contential breakfast was delicous, does help having one the best bakeries nearby for the rolls and donuts.

Room Tip: Get a room on one of their upper floors to get a balcony. Remember that Amish country is busy on Sa...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Our king room had a balcony which overlooked the parking lot....we did not do out. We had a couch, chair, small table with chairs and a desk. The bathroom was one side and then another room about the same size, with another sink and the frig. The inn seems to be going green with the low-flow toilet and lower water pressure in the shower...the water was soft. The lighting could be better. Energy efficient bulbs do not give off enough light, so maybe more lights are needed, which would defeat the purpose! We didn't have any trouble with the internet.
We slept well, comfy bed and pillows.
There was a large group of women at the inn and breakfast was quite crowded. We had to take our food back to the room because there wasn't a place to sit. It was nice having so many toasters available. It did seem odd that there would be sausage patties available, but not hot eggs, just hard-boiled ones.

Room Tip: Get a room not on the parking lot!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My Sister and I have come to the Carlisle Inn twice now. We really enjoyed our double room last year, overlooking the back fields. This year, I waited too long to book and they only had an Executive room left. After the first night, I told them the mattress was not suitable for people with arthritis. They offered to bring in a new mattress, just for the remaining night we were staying. I asked and received a mattress topper instead. I happened to mention my sister often sleeps in a recliner, and they brought one of those in our room as well!

Each staff member in the hotel wears a smile and is happy to help you in any way to make your stay more enjoyable. If you find something not quite right, you've only to tell them and they will do all in their power to make it right.

We will enjoy coming back again, I'm sure.

The Sebrights

Room Tip: Depending upon your preferences, the rooms at the front of the Hotel overlook the shops and restaura...
1  Thank JLFlippo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel lobby and hallways are of a grand nature. Nice wide hallways, beautiful lobby and the rooms were quite large. We stayed in the two bedroom suite. This was three rooms with doors in between the adjoining rooms. The middle room was a sitting area and the two bedrooms on each side. Each room had a balcony, microwave and refrigerator. The sitting room does not have a bathroom, so if you have visitors in the room they must use one of the bedroom bathrooms. The jacuzzi tub was ok, it was oddly shaped and slightly noisy. When my neighbors decided to use it at 6am on Sunday morning, we all woke up. In addition, the wind howls through the ventilation system. We heard wind all night long and after much finagling of putting towels under doors, opening and shutting balcony doors, room doors etc we finally figured out the whistling was coming thru the vents, this was annoying.There was quite a draft through the balcony windows, so not sure how that would be in the winter.

The "deluxe" continental breakfast was a letdown. I have had better breakfasts at Hampton Inn. It was mainlly toast, some donuts and mini muffins, hardboiled eggs and dry sausage. There was some cereal for kids and I believe waffles in the refrigerator that could be toasted. Nothing spectacular.

The pool was much smaller than it appeared on the website. We did not go in, because is was full of kids the whole time.

Everything is closed on Sunday, so dont make any plans except to travel home on that day. It was a relaxing weekend, but not a wow.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cruisingonvacation
MikeMillerGM, General Manager at Carlisle Inn Sugarcreek, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Cruisingonvacation,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our hotel. We value the feedback of our guests and take it very seriously when making decisions to improve our product offerings and service.

I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the breakfast. While we strive to provide a quality, convenient breakfast on-site, including fresh pastries from Dutch Valley Bakery next door, we admit there are not many hot items due to our small kitchen facilities. If you would prefer a larger selection, please feel free to ask our team for a complimentary hot breakfast upgrade on your next visit (served at Dutch Valley Restaurant adjacent to the hotel).

I also want to thank you for your patience regarding our pool area. The pool and spa received far more usage than usual the past two weeks as many families and children were traveling on spring break getaways.

We value you as our guest and understand you have many choices when travelling. I'd like to personally thank you for allowing us the opportunity to be part of your visit to Amish Country.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were joining family in Sugarcreek for two nights and on arrival we were told they did not have us down for the first night. After some review the receptionist found where we did indeed add the night, the exact time of our call and the employee who had failed to follow through. We heard the traditional, "no room at the inn". I find it very difficult to believe that any reputable establishment does not have one available room in the event that a toliet would overflow in a room or sprinkler malfunction, etc. Needless, to say we were walked to a hotel "only 7 miles away" (from where our family event was). They forgot to send earplugs with us because, the hotel we were walked to sat directly beside a major interstate. At first, the Carlisle was not even going to pay for the night however, after some thought they did compensate us for the two nights and we finally heard an apology from an employee the following day but, never actually saw the general manager. Which, makes one wonder if this is either a common occurrence or not significant to people who were not displaced or inconvenienced. Taking two hours out of the middle of our day to pack up, check-out of one hotel and drive to the Carlisle, check-in, unload, unpack and finally catch up with our party was not in our plans!

After finally being welcomed as guests at The Carlisle we found our room to be spacious, clean and free of scents. The furnishings and linens are of good quality. We enjoyed the balcony and the setting is lovely. The breakfast buffet was good and had some wonderful baked goods. The facility is located next door to a full service restaurant and some shopping.

The facility was nice and more importantly to us, very clean. We would be interested in staying there again however, would appreciate some of that dutch hospitality from the first time we pull up to the door!

Room Tip: Call ahead and confirm your reservation on the day of check-in. Because, having a confirmation # do...
2  Thank StephWV

Dear StephWV,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I personally accept responsibility for our failure and appreciate the opportunity to elaborate on the details. I do hope you will stay with us again and thank you for the kind comments regarding your stay, even after we failed.

Upon arriving at the hotel that morning, I was very disappointed to learn of you being relocated and immediately sat down with my staff to gather all of the details and to develop a plan to compensate you for the inconvenience. I asked that the front desk team please take care of all of your room charges at both the alternate hotel and at the Carlisle when you return. Due to previous engagements, I was not on property very long that morning, but insured that another member of my management team was aware of the situation and available to meet with you in person when you returned.

Please know that we do not purposefully overbook the hotel; in your situation, the error occurred when our front desk team failed to update portions of your reservation information when you called in to add a second night. Therefore, the notes on the reservation showed us that you called in to add a second night, but your arrival date and length of stay were never updated. For this, I am extremely sorry and will work with my team to insure we do not continue making these very disruptful errors.

Our goal is to be your safe haven for peace and comfort, but in this case we interrupted your getaway. On behalf of my entire team, please accept our apologies and when you return to Amish Country, we'd be honored if you would give us another opportunity to show you the genuine hospitality we strive to provide every day.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Beautiful rooms - lovely location - great staff - and QUIET - both inside and outside of the Inn.
I have stayed here for a 3 day event once a year for 10 years (the first couple were at their other location in Walnut Creek). Every room is decorated tastefully and individually. When you walk into the lobby there is a winding staircase to the second floor and a gorgeous large library with fireplace to relax in.

NOT that I've ever tried but it is so clean you feel like you could eat food off the floors. I even rubbed my finger across the top edge of the hallway baseboard and it was clean (not like at my own home). Always look forward to staying here.

Room Tip: They have special corner rooms that are HUGE - some with a fireplace and / or jacuzzi. Any room is n...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
MikeMillerGM, General Manager at Carlisle Inn Sugarcreek, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear Pam and all recent reviewers,

Thank you for the kind comments. I'll be certain to present these to my team. We take great pride in providing you with only the best and I'm excited that we've met your expectations.

Have a Great Weekend,

Mike

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sugarcreek
The Wallhouse Hotel
#2 of 4 in Berlin
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#4 of 4 in Berlin

Been to Carlisle Inn Sugarcreek? Share your experiences!