“BEWARE...URINE SMELL”
Review of Valley View Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sugar Grove
Valley View Cabins
Reviewed February 15, 2013

BEWARE...URINE SMELL. We stayed @ "The Hillside" cabin located at 1857 Piute Lane, Sugar Grove, OH (Hocking Hills) last October, 2012. When we arrived, the windows were all open, fans going but the cabin wreaked of URINE. It was a 4 hour drive after having worked an 8 hour day. After lugging all our food & luggage in, we then noticed the downstairs furniture and one of the bedrooms was damp and wet. It was too late to go elsewhere so we made the best of it. The next day we had made previous commitments, left the cabin with windows open and fans going hoping the place would air and dry out. Returning after a long day, the cabin hadn't changed much. An attempted call to the owner would not go through and our cell phones had no signal. We left the next morning. When we got home, we sent an e-mail to Karen Thompson, owner/manager who stated, "The previous guest that stayed decided to use the closet in the downstairs bedroom as a bathroom" and said we should have called her...the phone didn't work/no signal on cell phones and where were we to go anyway...everything else was booked and not being familiar with the area, we had to stay in the cabin we rented. If this was the case, then why didn't she call us before this trip? She admitted to all our complaints but did nothing about it. We feel what we should have received some kind of compensation since we had to endure this cabin's condition and that it definitely was not worth the value placed on it. It is my guess that Karen Thompson kept the security deposit of those leaving this cabin in this deplorable condition, therefore, she made out tremendously on this cabin....at the expense of our personal hardship.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank kentglo

Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and I had never rented a cabin for a vacation stay. So after online research, Valley Views' excellent website and their response to my questions, I booked the "Sunset" for most of a week in August 2012.
The cabin was a great mix lots of exposed wood beam ceilings crossed with drywall interior walls. The furniture and beds were clean and very comfortable. There was not one insect in our cabin the whole stay. The jacuzzi on the screened-in porch was great.
I could go on and on, but I suggest that you go to their website. It has tons of photos and the requirements to rent a cabin. You'll have to fax back to them a signed four page agreement. I think that knowing exactly what the rules are can keep out troublesome people and provide a better quality renter. I just don't need some crazy biker or redneck party raging all night near my cabin, thank you.
We'll be staying at Valley View Cabins again someday. We didn't see another human being the entire time we were at our cabin. Cool!

Room Tip: The three cabins that were grouped near ours are up a steep and narrow asphalt road. Not scary, but...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed in Morning Glory for my birthday (March 18-20). Immediately after booking we had issues with the company. It's normal to pay a deposit when you book but what's odd is that they require your balance paid in full 14 days BEFORE you arrive. In the original email I received from Valley View it said to notify them if I wanted them to automatically charge my card on March 4th or if I would like a courtesy call. I emailed them back and told them I would like a courtesy call so I could transfer the funds. They then responded wanting to know if I wanted them to automatically deduct the funds. I even checked my sent email and sure enough, it went through and stated what I wanted them to do. I decided not to respond since I had already told them. The 4th came and went. They didn't take the funds. On the 5th I emailed them once again and told them I didn't understand why they didn't contact me and to go ahead and take the funds. They didn't even bother responding to my email, which was frustrating.

Fast forward to our trip. I had looked at their website several times and I had even called them to make reservations for our cabin, so they knew what cabin we had selected. We drove our car (a rear wheel drive Mustang) and realized something. We had to check in at the office first which was a few miles away. The office was up a fairly steep paved driveway. My husband had to "stomp" on the gas just to get us up the incline. During check in I asked the lady what our driveway would be like and she said "Oh, it's a lot worse than this one. It's steep and unpaved. Why? What are you driving?" When she looked outside all she said was "Oh." That's comforting. The ONLY thing the website states is that 4 wheel drive may be necessary during inclimate weather. I assumed like I'm sure others do, that it's because it's a long driveway and they may not provide snow removal. I had no idea that the road we would take to get to our cabin and the very long, steep driveway were unpaved. It was very much a hassle to get up to our cabin. It would have been nice to have been notified of this prior to our trip so we could have switched cars accordingly. Once again, an error on their part.

We stomped on the gas to get up the hill. The cabin was clean except for a few things that I will mention shortly. The cabin was nice looking and was pretty comfortable. The furniture was extremely comfortable. We used the grill and had a pretty relaxing time. The hot tub was nice.

Here are some of the problems we had:

There were 2 towels and 2 wash cloths for 2 people for a few days. We called the office only to find out there are extra towels under the sink. I don't understand why this isn't mentioned. They have a list on the refrigerator of things you need to know/do before leaving and they even have a binder with similar information but info about the towels was nowhere to be found.

We were left with one tissue in the box (no joke) and the toilet paper kept falling off of the holder for some reason.

They advertise a "rainmaker" shower which is one of the things that attracted me to this cabin. There were no directions on how to use it. It has a few different knobs and we didn't realize until 2 showers later that you can adjust the water pressure by turning one of the levers that I thought controlled the water temperature. We ended up taking our showers with very little water pressure which doesn't work with extremely thick, long hair. It would have been nice to figure this out sooner. The handle to turn on the water in the shower also fell off when ever you would try to turn the water on.

We used the grill a few times during our stay. The problem is that they put aluminum foil on the grill, which is nice if you're going to use it once. After we used the grill the first time it needed changed. It had holes and it had food particles stuck to it. I searched high and low and there wasn't any aluminum foil anywhere available to guests. I ended up cooking my potatoes and carrots in the microwave the second day instead of cooking them on the grill (because they would have fallen through). Not a big deal but a little insight would have been nice.

There was a screen door on the screened in porch where the grill and hot tub is located. The screen was completely ripped at the bottom to the extent that a raccoon could have easily crawled through. This is probably what happened because the large trash can in on the porch.

One thing I was completely baffled about was how dirty the furniture on the enclosed porch was. It actually had bird poop on it. How does that happen on an enclosed porch and why hasn't it been cleaned? We would have sat outside to eat our meals but our clothes would have gotten filthy.

The ceiling fan on the enclosed porch was beyond disgusting. It was literally caked with dirt/dust and whatever else stuck to it. It's not hard to clean a ceiling fan but judging by this one it hadn't been cleaned in a LONG time. The gross thing is that it was practically above the grill so if it was on while you were cooking you risked something falling into your food.

One of the big irritants was how they describe this cabin on their website. They describe it as private and secluded. You can see 2 cabins that are within walking distance from your cabin. There is another one on the other side of the "hill" by your firepit as well. How is it "private" when you can see on your neighbor's porch while sitting in the hot tub? Definitely not private at all. We could also hear the neighbors.

We are fairly well traveled and this cabin had a lot of "firsts" for us. The first time a balance has ever been required before your stay and the first time you have to do the housekeeping before you leave. Once you get to the cabin you see the "to do" list and realize it's pretty annoying. You have to start the dishwasher, strip the bed, take all trash outside and put it in the large trash can, adjust the thermostat, and place all towels and bed linens in a clothes basket inside the bathroom. We've stayed in cabins before but we've never had to strip the bed etc. I just don't get it.

Overall, we had a good time because we made the best of the situation but there were a lot of little and some larger irritants for us. Would we go back to this particular cabin? Probably not. Would we recommend this cabin to someone else? Only if they had 4 wheel drive and didn't mind not having privacy despite what the website claims.

On another note, there was some sort of animal running across the roof the last night. It was this loud scratching noise that was quickly moving.

Room Tip: Avoid Valley View Cabins if you want privacy. Aside from the 4 cabins on Rockstall Rd. The others ar...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank fusionchick
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We just discovered the ultimate place for a romantic getaway- at the Valley View Cabins! We stayed in "The Kennedy." The set up of the cabin was perfect, with an inside jacuzzi tub in front of a three sided fireplace (bring a large burning log, it takes real firewood which we didn't catch beforehand. They sell firewood, but it was hard to get started even with their starter. I think the wood was wet) second side in front of the bed and the other side the living room area. Really cozy. The outside hot tub overlooked the woods and had a roof over it. It was downstairs outside the basement door. We took our own wine and cheese. We had planned on cooking in the kitchen, but instead went to the Hide-A-Way Hills lodge for dinner. It was so close, just a few minutes away and had very reasonable prices. The office had a menu sample and directions. The chicken parmesan was very tasty and so was the salmon. The people were very friendly also.

It's always hard to tell how secluded cabins are from the internet pictures. We were pleasantly surprised with the Kennedy. It had its own little gravel lane to drive on back into the woods a bit. Since the leaves were half off when we went, we could see a cabin up on a hill sort of overlooking us, but it never felt like someone was watching. There was another cabin a distance away through the trees, but it could only be viewed because the trees were bare. When in the hot tub it was very secluded. Overall everything was as perfect as it could get!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in New Plymouth
Hocking Hills Inn
Hocking Hills Inn
#26 of 29 in Logan

Been to Valley View Cabins? Share your experiences!