“Really wanted to like it...”
Review of The Mad Cactus - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Mad Cactus
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: It was on the Food Network show, Restaurant Impossible.
Description: It was on the Food Network show, Restaurant Impossible.
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We've not been to the Mad Cactus in a while, so I thought I'd give it a shot for take-out. Ordered the Chicken Fajita Salad. The meat was blech; seemed like marinated chunks of lunchmeat or something. The rest of the salad was nothing special (commercial, bagged salad mix, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, red onion). The side of roasted corn salsa saved the dish somewhat. Hubby ordered the fajitas. Way too much 'juice', and the steak that was used was not a high quality cut by any stretch of the imagination. It was tough, and tasted just okay. The steak meat was better than the rubbery processed pressed meat with the spray on grill marks they used to have - but that's not saying much.

Ordered the hamburger sliders for our kids' meal. Again with the meat. Not so good.

If we order again, I think we'll just stick to the mesquite wings if they still have them. We've never been disappointed in those.

No chips. : (

All this for $32.

I can say that our order was ready promptly when I arrived. That was nice.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I cannot expect this place to be open in the near future. Service was fine however the food was just tolerable and although they say their Margarita's were voted the best in Cleveland not sure by who, when, or what recipe it was. This 1/2 pitcher we ordered tasted like ice water with a touch of lime juice. Would not recommend this place to anyone and will NOT be going back. They have revised their menu recently and it really had little to offer.

1  Thank clevelandbiffOrd
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We had a wonderful lunch at The Mad Cactus. This is the 4th time I've been there in the last 2 months, and the food is always so, so good. I've heard that some people who used to frequent the restaurant don't, anymore, because they don't like the menu changes. I'm here to tell you that the food is better than ever. As of today, they brought out a brand new menu that has both the Food Network choices and some old favorites. ($3.00 steaks on Mondays are back.) I really hope that people will start frequenting The Mad cactus again. It's a wonderful Mom and Pop place that needs our support now more than ever.

Also, Eric is an awesome waiter! (I promised to mention him in my review.) :)

Reviewed May 4, 2012

Much improved! The food was decent, but not the best Tex-Mex we've had. Service was a bit slow. Their salsa ar is great! Their chimmichuuri salsa was excellent!

1  Thank Will H
Reviewed April 19, 2012

After watching FoodTV Networks' Restaurant Impossible, I thought I'd revisit them for lunch which they had since re-added since the show aired. Server was very nice, but the food was average Mexican fare at best. I'm sorry but I would much rather go to Maya on Bagley Rd in Berea. Their menu reflects authentic Oaxacan and TexMex style cuisine at better prices.

2  Thank Solo2112