Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Steubenville
$102
$69
Travelocity
$106
All reviewsfront deskohio riversoupking suitepatio areafreshly baked cookiestake carefranciscan universitywould definitely stay here againgreat place to stayin townenjoyed our staythe staff was greatcontinental breakfastonly complaintcountesspet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Booked this hotel as we were traveling to Steubenville to attend a family reunion. Brought my family, including my disabled son and his service dog. When I attempted to check in, the girl at the desk blanched and said there was a problem; apparently the hotel had overbooked and there were no rooms available. I asked how that was possible since I had booked the room 7 weeks before and had PAID IN ADVANCE to lock in a discounted price. The girl said she could not explain; that she had come on duty at 3:00 p.m., and there were multiple families being told the same bad news. I asked if a manager was available, and was told that she was the only one there. She handed me a business card that was void of any contact information -- it just directed me to share my experience on the TripAdvisor site.

All the girl offered to do was give me directions to the Comfort Inn in Weirton WV where she had asked that several rooms be held for the displaced Microtel guests, at Microtel's expense (Several family members attending the reunion met similar fates). But when I got to the Comfort Inn, they had reserved a single bed for me, not the 2 queens I needed for my family. When that was finally fixed, they put us in a room with a malfunctioning AC unit, and bugs crawling on the wall.

When I looked at the Comfort Inn receipt, I noted that Microtel paid less for the room than what I had paid in advance 7 weeks before.

I attempted to contact the Mictrotel when I returned home, by both phone and on-line. It has been 3 days without a response. If anyone associated with Microtel gives a damn, they can contact me. My reservation confirmation ID was 22212373.

Reminds me of an old Seinfeld episode. Anyone can take a reservation. But holding the reservation is the most important part of the reservation. Sadly, Microtel has a lot to learn about holding reservations.

Room Tip: don't stay there
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Diane L, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Steubenville, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you for writing. I'm very sorry for the unfortunate experience you had. I would certainly never want to leave you with a poor impression and apologize that we were unable to accommodate your reservation request. Unfortunately situations do arise causing us to have to displace guests. Please understand this is not something we plan and try our hardest to avoid. We value your business and do hope you'll consider staying with us in the future. Please contact me directly.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I see that my experience at this hotel is not typical, but I encountered significant incompetence on the part of hotel staff. We had booked this hotel specifically for the fact that it has suites, but upon arrival we found that they had altered our reservation and put us and our kids in a single-bed room. Upon complaint I was told by desk staff there were no alternatives and she suggested we go to another hotel, until my wife demanded to speak to a manager (I had been told that none were available). We were then set up in a two-bedroom room until we could be switched to a suite the following day.
My wife changed our rooms while I was out, and upon arrival back to the hotel the desk staff couldn't figure out what room I was supposed to be in. I asked her if the key card taped to the desk with my first name on it was for me and she assured me it was not. I asked her if she was sure and she said yes. Then she programmed a key for me, again for a SINGLE ROOM. I went back and persisted that the keycard sitting in full view with my name on it might be for me, at which point she said "Oh, I didn't even see that there."
Finally getting that card I took it to the room number written on it and found it didn't work...

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Microtel Inn and Suites. I'm grateful for your feedback, have read your review in its entirety. I apologize for our service not being at its highest level during your stay. Your comments will be reviewed in our next staff meeting as we will reinforce on our count on me service. We hope you'll visit us again. We also hope to provide a more positive experience and a greater attention to our guests.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

the property is nice the rooms are nice the hotel staff is lacking the cleaning people do not clean they are supposed to the front desk people are very unorganized

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

We do apologize for the experience you had at our hotel. I do assure you that this isn't a common practice. We take pride and strive ourselves to make our guest feel at home. I did address the issues you had at our morning meeting. I hope you give us another chance the next time you are in the area. Please contact me directly.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham
Diane L, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Steubenville, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014