“Home Away From Home”

Ranked #1 of 1 Steubenville B&B and Inns
Marion, Ky
“Home Away From Home”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

What a fabulous experience at Bayberry House located on a historical street still under renovation. The Bayberry House was completely renovated and furnished nicely. The owner Scott was accommodating at meeting our needs and wishes.
It was very helpful to communicate with him via cell phone before our arrival confirming arrangements and any changes prior to arrival.
This B&B is nicely decorated and very very clean. Breakfast foods were more than generous.
That warm & fuzzy feeling to smell brewed coffee each morning as we opened the door to our room and headed downstairs to breakfast. That made for a good morning welcome each day.
The B&B was an excellent alternative to hotels.
We plan to stay again at Bayberry House when we are in that area visiting family & friends. Customer service and satisfaction was excellent. Thanks Scott for allowing us to feel at home away from home. Sandy & Tom

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
bayberryhousebandb, Owner at Bayberry House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
It was nice having you here and even better that you felt at home. We work hard to make this a home away from home for all our guests!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The room was great, the bed comfortable. It was quiet and we slept very well. It is in a beautiful area by the Ohio River, a short drive from Raccoon Creek State Park (PA). Steubenville has been economically depressed, but there are encouraging signs of a revival -- Scott seems to be one of the driving forces behind it. Fort Steubenville is worth visiting. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NotaSucker
Steubenville
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Coming from California to move my daughter into Franciscan University, and not knowing where to stay, we are so happy we found the Bayberry House! We spent one night here at the Beautiful Red House. Scott, greeted us from the beautiful front porch, showed us around, then to our room. This historic 1870's house is beautiful, clean, well kept, and the entire home is decorated in antiques from that era. Our room was very comfortable, decorated so nicely, and was very quiet, too! The bathroom facility was immaculate, as well! Waking up to a freshly cooked breakfast, was very nice and there was a large assortment to choose from, eggs, sausage, waffles, bagels, cereal, doughnuts juices coffee, plus much more. When I come back to Steubenville, I will definitely stay at the Bayberry, rather than a big hotel chain!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I was in town on business and a budget, and Bayberry House was perfect for my needs. As other reviewers have noted, Hotels.com does not indicate that check-in time is only between 4pm and 6pm, which would be helpful for most travelers to know. In my situation, I called the number listed on Hotels.com and reached Scott, the owner, directly. When I said I would arrive outside the 4-6 window, he left the key in the mailbox. My room was small, but it was also the cheapest, which was what I needed. It had a shared bathroom, but there was nobody else there so it was not a problem. Breakfast went until 10:00 am and Scott came by to set it all out early. By the time I got down there, around 9:30, he was gone and it was self-serve, probably because I was the only guest there, but there were plenty of good options (cereal, waffles, doughnuts, turnovers, bagels, greek yogurt, etc.) The whole establishment was very clean, very well-decorated with some great antiques. I agree that it felt more luxurious than any other chain hotel I've ever stayed in. Very personal. The residential neighborhood is a mix of old beautiful houses, some needing a little TLC and others beautifully restored, like the Bayberry House. It was peaceful all night quiet all night and seemed safe. You can hear the crickets. So much nicer than staying at a chain hotel near the freeway and you're contributing to the local economy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
bayberryhousebandb, Owner at Bayberry House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hi, thanks for your nice review. We do accommodate check in starting at 4 pm and guests can arrive any time after that, however after 6 pm we do make arrangements so they can get their key and let themselves in. so we ask that all guests contact us by 4 pm to make check-in arrangements (as you did). I did miss you at breakfast as I do go back and forth between the two houses and sometimes guests manage to eat and pack up before I get back over. I'm glad everything was good for you. Thanks! Scott
Oregon
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Beautifully restored home in the Historic District of Steubenville Ohio. We loved staying there. Unfortunately we were so busy visiting with friends that we chose not to have the breakfast. However, on the first morning everything was prepared and waiting for us. I took a walk down the street and met some great neighbors who even shared some bounty from their garden with me. Such a lovely B&B and very cozy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for the nice review. I hope you get the chance to come back and enjoy relaxing on the porch with your friends! Scott
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I've been visiting Steubenville a few times a year for about a decade, but just discovered Bayberry House through TripAdvisor. What a lovely place! I stayed in the Westfall House and everything was perfect. Upon arriving you see the incredible wrap-around porch with multiple groupings of comfy furniture. The living room, parlor, and dining room are beautifully decorated and outstandingly cozy and comfortable -- traditional, well-coordinated style without being fussy or overdone. "Julia's Room" is also gorgeous. It has a comfortable king bed and two chairs with a nice-size table for using a laptop or doing other work. There's plenty of lighting and a great ceiling fan. The remote-operated gas fireplace was so wonderful that I wished the weather was cold enough to use it! Even the high-quality flat-screen TV blends so well that at first I didn't realize it was there until I noticed the remote on the nightstand. The ensuite bathroom is small but convenient.

The breakfast is continental, fresh, and plentiful, with both an assortment of healthy options and some delicious indulgences from the local bakery. Scott is thoughtful and accommodating; he goes out of his way to make your stay pleasant, without being intrusive in any way. I intended to just grab some food and head over to the university campus but found the conversation with Scott and the other guests so interesting that I stuck around. He knows everything about the area so is a good source of whatever information you might need. His dedication to the community shines through, with the outstanding restoration of these houses and his involvement in the community. There are some nice hotels and some not-so-nice hotels in the area, but you can enjoy the indulgence of staying at Bayberry House for a lower price. A true local jewel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank NYYVA
bayberryhousebandb, Owner at Bayberry House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thanks for staying with us, I'm glad you had a nice time! Scott
Rochester, New York, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed at the Garrett House, one of two houses that comprise the Bayberry House B&B. It was the Monday night after Mother's Day weekend, and we were the only guests. The house is beautifully restored, and we felt like we had just moved into a new home, circa the 1920's. Everything was picture perfect. We had reserved Francesca's jacuzzi suite, with a working fireplace, and a private bath that included a separate, glass-walled shower and the jacuzzi bath. Scott was an excellent host, seeing that we were settled in and then referring us to an excellent restaurant for dinner. In the morning, he returned to cook our breakfast and give us a personal tour of the house. We plan to return at our first opportunity.

Room Tip: We loved the jacuzzi suite..plus.it's the only room with a private bath.