“Beautiful historic house, decorated meticulously, friendly host”

Bayberry House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Steubenville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The room was great, the bed comfortable. It was quiet and we slept very well. It is in a beautiful area by the Ohio River, a short drive from Raccoon Creek State Park (PA). Steubenville has been economically depressed, but there are encouraging signs of a revival -- Scott seems to be one of the driving forces behind it. Fort Steubenville is worth visiting. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NotaSucker

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Coming from California to move my daughter into Franciscan University, and not knowing where to stay, we are so happy we found the Bayberry House! We spent one night here at the Beautiful Red House. Scott, greeted us from the beautiful front porch, showed us around, then to our room. This historic 1870's house is beautiful, clean, well kept, and the entire home is decorated in antiques from that era. Our room was very comfortable, decorated so nicely, and was very quiet, too! The bathroom facility was immaculate, as well! Waking up to a freshly cooked breakfast, was very nice and there was a large assortment to choose from, eggs, sausage, waffles, bagels, cereal, doughnuts juices coffee, plus much more. When I come back to Steubenville, I will definitely stay at the Bayberry, rather than a big hotel chain!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I was in town on business and a budget, and Bayberry House was perfect for my needs. As other reviewers have noted, Hotels.com does not indicate that check-in time is only between 4pm and 6pm, which would be helpful for most travelers to know. In my situation, I called the number listed on Hotels.com and reached Scott, the owner, directly. When I said I would arrive outside the 4-6 window, he left the key in the mailbox. My room was small, but it was also the cheapest, which was what I needed. It had a shared bathroom, but there was nobody else there so it was not a problem. Breakfast went until 10:00 am and Scott came by to set it all out early. By the time I got down there, around 9:30, he was gone and it was self-serve, probably because I was the only guest there, but there were plenty of good options (cereal, waffles, doughnuts, turnovers, bagels, greek yogurt, etc.) The whole establishment was very clean, very well-decorated with some great antiques. I agree that it felt more luxurious than any other chain hotel I've ever stayed in. Very personal. The residential neighborhood is a mix of old beautiful houses, some needing a little TLC and others beautifully restored, like the Bayberry House. It was peaceful all night quiet all night and seemed safe. You can hear the crickets. So much nicer than staying at a chain hotel near the freeway and you're contributing to the local economy.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
bayberryhousebandb, Owner at Bayberry House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Hi, thanks for your nice review. We do accommodate check in starting at 4 pm and guests can arrive any time after that, however after 6 pm we do make arrangements so they can get their key and let themselves in. so we ask that all guests contact us by 4 pm to make check-in arrangements (as you did). I did miss you at breakfast as I do go back and forth between the two houses and sometimes guests manage to eat and pack up before I get back over. I'm glad everything was good for you. Thanks! Scott

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Beautifully restored home in the Historic District of Steubenville Ohio. We loved staying there. Unfortunately we were so busy visiting with friends that we chose not to have the breakfast. However, on the first morning everything was prepared and waiting for us. I took a walk down the street and met some great neighbors who even shared some bounty from their garden with me. Such a lovely B&B and very cozy.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for the nice review. I hope you get the chance to come back and enjoy relaxing on the porch with your friends! Scott

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I've been visiting Steubenville a few times a year for about a decade, but just discovered Bayberry House through TripAdvisor. What a lovely place! I stayed in the Westfall House and everything was perfect. Upon arriving you see the incredible wrap-around porch with multiple groupings of comfy furniture. The living room, parlor, and dining room are beautifully decorated and outstandingly cozy and comfortable -- traditional, well-coordinated style without being fussy or overdone. "Julia's Room" is also gorgeous. It has a comfortable king bed and two chairs with a nice-size table for using a laptop or doing other work. There's plenty of lighting and a great ceiling fan. The remote-operated gas fireplace was so wonderful that I wished the weather was cold enough to use it! Even the high-quality flat-screen TV blends so well that at first I didn't realize it was there until I noticed the remote on the nightstand. The ensuite bathroom is small but convenient.

The breakfast is continental, fresh, and plentiful, with both an assortment of healthy options and some delicious indulgences from the local bakery. Scott is thoughtful and accommodating; he goes out of his way to make your stay pleasant, without being intrusive in any way. I intended to just grab some food and head over to the university campus but found the conversation with Scott and the other guests so interesting that I stuck around. He knows everything about the area so is a good source of whatever information you might need. His dedication to the community shines through, with the outstanding restoration of these houses and his involvement in the community. There are some nice hotels and some not-so-nice hotels in the area, but you can enjoy the indulgence of staying at Bayberry House for a lower price. A true local jewel!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank NYYVA
bayberryhousebandb, Owner at Bayberry House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Thanks for staying with us, I'm glad you had a nice time! Scott

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed at the Garrett House, one of two houses that comprise the Bayberry House B&B. It was the Monday night after Mother's Day weekend, and we were the only guests. The house is beautifully restored, and we felt like we had just moved into a new home, circa the 1920's. Everything was picture perfect. We had reserved Francesca's jacuzzi suite, with a working fireplace, and a private bath that included a separate, glass-walled shower and the jacuzzi bath. Scott was an excellent host, seeing that we were settled in and then referring us to an excellent restaurant for dinner. In the morning, he returned to cook our breakfast and give us a personal tour of the house. We plan to return at our first opportunity.

Room Tip: We loved the jacuzzi suite..plus.it's the only room with a private bath.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
bayberryhousebandb, Owner at Bayberry House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Linda, it was wonderful having you both here and I'm really happy you enjoyed your visit. The Suite in the Garrett House is nice, and as you noted it has a really nice private bath with Jacuzzi. The other 4 guest rooms in the Garrett House share two other baths. The Westfall House, which is the second house that makes up the Bayberry has 4 guest rooms each with its own in room private bath! I hope you get the opportunity to visit the area again! Scott

Reviewed April 12, 2013

And which do you think we preferred. Two days in Brooklyn, Williamsburg to be precise, left us hyper aware of how "hip" we are not. Edgy, noisey, graffiti-covered, Brooklyn takes a toll on you. Then on to Steubenville, to decompress, to put our feet up and remember what waking up in a neighborhood is like.

We live in a very rural setting, where both of the above scenarios are not to be found. But given the choice, we would love to return to the Bayberry House B&B. Scott has restored the Garret House to its original grandeur (maybe even beyond?) and a couple of nights in the large bedroom with the huge jacuzzi bath is just what is needed to quiet down your travel overload. Coffee in the morning on the porch, or in the period kitchen with the huge fireplace (and every creature comfort you can imagine) is a fine way to begin the day. Scott comes in early to lay out breakfast, then slips away to give you total privacy, as though a secret elf services your needs.

The fireplaces, including the one in our bedroom, were constantly lit. The entire house is full of Victorian treasures, along with flat screen tv's. We were starting to feel like we owned it, and were sorry to leave. Did we mention the porch? Comfortable with a great view of the river? This is a place to bring a good book and check out for a couple of days.

Scott, you've done a great job here. We will be back when we have no business to attend to whatsoever. we will bring our books and simply sink into those cushions on your front porch and enjoy. Thanks for a memorable stay. Tony & Jonna

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mastdis
bayberryhousebandb, Owner at Bayberry House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thanks so much for the nice review. It was wonderful having you both stay and a unique experience for everyone who enjoyed your presentation at the High School. I also really enjoy the front porch and sit there often watching the river. Have a great time during the rest of your travels and we look forward to you visiting us again! Scott