“Great Attitude and service”

Quality Inn and Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Springfield
sringfield ohio
“Great Attitude and service”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I visit this hotel once a year for an annual convention. While at the lounge, a woman named Barb Sanders impressed me enough to tell the manager and to write this review. She was polite, and paid attention to detail. More importantly, I noticed how hard and proficiently she worked. She was doing three or four things at the same time while still being pleasant. She cared about what she did and how she did it. You cannot pay a person enough to care. If I was the Quality Inn, I would give her a big raise. There were others like her that waited on our tables at the banquet dinner and all were fabulous. We even gave one a gift a few years ago having remembered her from past years. All I can say is great gob Quality Inn and GREAT JOB BARB SANDERS!!!! We will be back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
QualityManagement001, Manager at Quality Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Dario D,

Thank you for staying with us and acknowledging Barbara's service. Yes, she does a great job.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Belleview, Florida
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We've been on the road for over a week and every other hotel in this chain has been really nice. The photos online don't look too bad, but in reality this hotel is mediocre bordering on downright awful. We had "buyer's remorse" from the moment of check-in and it was definitely down-hill from there. The 70's decor is outdated to say the least. The indoor pool might have been considered a plus, but in this case caused the whole place reek of chlorine. The room was clean, featuring a small safe, a ironing board and an iron but no refrigerator or microwave. The beds were clean but obviously well-used, We found a few small holes in the sheets. At first (after seeing the broken yellow cord on the desk) I thought there was no wifi, but at least they have that, The A/C was noisy but useful for drowning out the nearby traffic. There were definite maintenance and safety issues. The frame around the bathroom mirror was stuck on w/ double stick foam tape that didn't hold, so someone just laid the top piece that wouldn't stick along the backsplash... like nobody would notice that? We were directed to enter/exit through the back glass door down a long long hallway towards the back, even though there is a door to the exterior closer to our room. We were astonished to see that the closer door won't close all the way and they have literally put tape over the glass in an effort to keep the air out. (SEE PHOTOS) When we tried to use the far rear door as directed the card-swiping aperatus that is supposed to open the door doesn't work reliably. Twice we found ourselves stuck outside and folks inside let us in. Later we saw that someone had rolled up the mat and put it in the crack to hold the door open - a blatent security issue. A more serious security issue was found in the room itself -- unles we were careful to pull the lever on the door all the way up when closing the door, the door lock didn't always engage making it possible for someone to simply push the door open from the outside if the security swing-latch isn't closed.. SCARY!

One other point: We definitely missed the free breakfast buffet we've become accustomed to w/ Choice Hotel properties. Here they charge $4.99 for the breakfast buffet. Debra was the employee in the dining room and she was as nice as she could possibly be, but paying for a breakfast that is LESS than what we usually enjoy for free is hard to swallow. No waffles, no pancakes, no bacon or sausage (even the gravy was plain w/ no sausage!).

We were stuck there for two whole nights without the ability to cancel with a refund ----- don't let this be you!

PS -- OH SILLY ME! The wifi quit working that first evening. Amy at the front desk said she'd have the manager reset the router for me but when that didn't help, she gave me the phone number and the access code to their internet provider's repair line. SERIOUSLY? Shouldn't you be calling your provider instead of me? I spent over an hour back and forth w/ the IT folks, using my own cell minutes and my vacation time. According to the IT tech the outage affected the rooms immediately around me, not the whole hotel and he gave me a work around to get through temporarily until they could get it fixed. The next day I had the same problem. No way I was going through all that again so I just gave up on wifi until we got to the next stop on our trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lottie E,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are very sorry that you were less than satisfied with it. Rest assured, we have taken care of all the challenges you mentioned. As an example, the internet speed is 10 times better than it has ever been.
Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, and we hope you will give us another chance,

Thank you.
Minnesota
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We are Choice Hotel cardholders and were disappointed in the quality of this hotel. It is definitely
a throwback to the 70's. It looks like a former Holiday Inn. It seems they have tried to upgrade the building
but weren't totally sucessful. There was no breakfast included in the rate. It was mediocre at best and certainly not up to the standards we've come to expect at Comfort Inns and Suites. We will not be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Wendy M
Dear wenric,

Thank you for your feedback, and we are apologetic that you were not completely satisfied by our service. We have put more emphasis on training and also we have implemented a new guest recognition program for Choice Privilages card holders.

Hopefully you will give us another try.

South Carolina
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

One would be hard pressed to find a motel without a microwave in the rooms or at least a continental breakfast. This is it. It is a busy place with lots of people around including police who asked us to move along while unloading in the rain. Oddly, if you are doing business at the Springfield Antique show this is OK. The staff watches out to help in any way they can. The maids were working at eleven PM. The maintence man, John C., seemed to be everywhere at once easing our loading in among other things. Great job to the staff. This place has an amusement cave in the covered courtyard...pool, spa, ping pong, games.
Busy place.

• Stayed September 2013
Chicago Suburbs
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had to book several rooms at this hotel over Labor Day weekend for a family funeral in town. We called 8 hotels before this one--all were booked for busy weddings and special events. It should have told us something that this was the only place with rooms available.

We are Choice Hotel card holders and have stayed in choice hotels since 2006. This was one of the worst. We were staying on free points--our companions were not. They left the hotel after one night and checked into now vacant better hotels.

Let me just list some issues. The hallways and rooms smell AWFUL. Combination air conditioning that feeds from chlorine pool atrium smell--and a general moldy yucky damp smell. Dim hall lighting that reminds one of a bad communist era apartment complex. No free breakfast--just coffee--that you can eat in a space IN that smelly atrium. Atrium is hot and stale. We went close by to the Cracker Barrel for breakfast. The television's are vintage 1990--those big boat anchor types. The room was clean. But the furniture is chipped and the doors look like they have been in a flood. The room card does not open the back doors of the hotel--so unless someone lets you in--you get to walk ALL the way around to the front to get in. The front doors and windows were so smudged and dirty and finger printed up--great first impression to cleanliness.

Check in is 4pm. REALLY??? Is this the Ritz? This is a next to the interstate mid level motel--4pm check in? How about they hire more housekeepers?

Lots of truckers stay here. And leave their trucks running. I do not know for sure--but this looks suspiciously like a former Holiday Inn that was converted.

Really. Don't stay here. There is a Comfort Suites nearby or better yet--go downtown to the Courtyard Marriot where the rest of our paying crowd went on the second night when vacancies opened up.

Room Tip: Just pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sellinglikecrazy
Michigan
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Check in at 4? Can't cancel if you make your reservation within 24 hours all signs that where you're about to stay sucks wind. It's either a crappy hotel or in a crappy neighborhood.

But what the heck I was staying on points so it's free and as long as my car doesn't get broken into or the joint doesn't burn to the ground I should be OK... After all it's springfield, ohio not Flint or detroit or Inkster MI.

What's gonna happen.....really in mid ohio of all places.

So I arrive way too early around 1 just to find the hotel and scope out the parking lot.
First things first......you have to enter the hotel property through a driveway that is shared by a low end strip center...but it is pretty convienent off I70. (watch that red light cam).

As I'm pulling through there are what could best be described as transient tenants milling about on the lawn near the fence, now by looking at the drapes in the windows and the shape of the property in general ...if they did allow a cancel on the same day, I would guess many a tourist would head for the weeds and drive on...but you're locked in. So buck up.

I have time to kill, since remember they have a 4pm check in, so I drive off to the springfield museum of art (nice for a small town , and for 4 or 5 bucks ) I kill an hour...or so.. then grab a late lunch at Rudy's BBQ...for $20.00 (ribs good, chicken sucks, sides not too good either).

Then eventually when it turns 4 PM head back over to the q i and check in.

Check in goes fine and I'm given a lower floor room. I'm given a few coupons to use at the bar in the building and the restaurant as well . (so no normal qi comfort inn style breakfast, no waffler, no juice, just coffee in the lobby).
Now lets say this...the rooms surround a pool for the most part so from the lobby to the room it's a hoof. It reminds me of the barcelona suites in ABQ, NM. and it's bringing back bad memories.

But I get into the room and it's clean .
What surprised me was the noise level in the room . you can certainly hear your neighbors.
And you can hear the trucks quite well that park on the property as well. I thought for a minute they were running a truck driver training school , back and forth ...running engines, checking lug nuts in the morning (4:30-5 AM)

Shower worked fine, bed was ok, but the no breakfast deal?...that's a bit wimpy for QI, Econo sure, but QI .....juice coffee, continental etc... is expected with you guys not two bucks off an over priced breakfast in the restaurant on the property.

I thought for sure someone's car would get broken into over the night, but nary a shard of glass was found the next morning. Still the property looks very sketchy. Take your valuables into the room with you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank willdriveforfood
lucycat1, Manager at Quality Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for your responce. I am sorry you were disappointed in the fact we did not offer a free breakfast. The breakfast buffet is much more than the norm therefore it is impossible to give it away. Again I apologise.
Center, Missouri
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Staff was friendly and helpful, rooms were spic and span. The hot tub was relaxing after a long day in the car. Dinner and Breakfast was delicious. Quality Inn in Springfield fulfilled all our needs and then some. We will stay again when going through the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family