“Sushi- still the best in Springfield”

Yamato Steakhouse of Japan
Ranked #32 of 165 Restaurants in Springfield
Good for: Families with children
Description: 937-325-7338
SPRINGFIELD
“Sushi- still the best in Springfield”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Several sushi places have come to Springfield over the past 6 months and Yamato still shines out as the best for atmosphere, food and service. We have been going to Yamato for the past few years and whether we eat in or order take out, it is always good.
If you eat in, try one of the Japanese beers and relax while your meal is cooked.

Springfield, Ohio, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great dinner at Yamato”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Just ate here tonight (August 18) and had to write about it while it was still fresh in my mind. We had excellent food and service tonight on our first visit. We were celebrating my son's birthday and he wanted to try Asian food, and we saw good ratings for Yamato, and thought we would try it out. We've lived in Springfield for years and this place has been around a while now, but we just never tried it. I got Hibachi chicken and sushi, my son got shrimp stir fry noodles, my daughter had white tiger (?) and a California roll, and my wife had filet mignon and shrimp. All was delicious, and my daughter, who has sushi regularly, said this was among the best she's had. My son had a delicious fried banana desert to finish the meal. Our server (Helen I believe?) was no nice and sweet, and was very good. She took our order without writing it down and remembered everything perfectly, and our bill was accurate as well. It's not a cheap place to eat ($75 before tip for four people), but it's cheaper than other Japanese steakhouses and the food is just as good. We would definitely go back.

Columbus, Ohio
“Yamato Steakhouse”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

What a nice surprise in Springfield. I had the sushi and sashimi dinner. What a fun presentation. It was cool watching the sushi chef work. I had eight pieces of sushi and eight pieces of sashimi with a tuna roll. This was fantastic. The downside was the wasabi was a bit dry and hard to use. The atmosphere could use some updating. The service was good. The price isn't bad for fresh and properly prepared Japanese food. This is a little surprise.

Springfield, Ohio
“Nice Experience at Yamato”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I decided to go over to Yamato to try the cuisine. I was pleased with it. I had sushimi that was very tasty and fresh, as it has to be with raw fish. I had the smoked salmon and red snapper. I had scallops for dinner and they were prepared well as the chef had sliced each large scallop into probably thirds to allow them to take on more of the sauce flavor. There was a mountain of fried rice with it and I was surprised that it came with a soup, salad, and spring roll as well. The server did a good job and everything was fine. I hope to return soon.

• Visited April 2013
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Not a typical hibachi restaurant”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

If your looking for a traditional hibachi experience, this is not the place. There is one hibachi grill where the entire restaurants food is cooked. The food is ok, but not some place that I have to go back to. The prices are about the same as a typical Japanese streak house, but without the show. The sushi is pretty good, and would satisfy a craving, but there are a couple new Japanese restaurants on Springfield now, and are much better both with hibachi and sushi.

• Visited October 2012